PDA

View Full Version : ACU Gold Certificate

Jon_W
06-12-10, 08:26 AM
How long does the ACU gold certicification last on a crash helmet??

I have a shoei I bought a few years ago and would like to use it at the Ron Haslam day... it has the ACU mark, but I think it may have expired.

Cheers. :)

wiltshire builders
06-12-10, 09:14 AM
I was always under the impression it was 7 yrs from manufacture. The date will be inside. I've never been asked to prove my helmet conformed when doing a track day. Think it's just something they put in the paperwork to cover themselves.

Squashed_Fly
06-12-10, 09:25 AM
You don't need it anyway - at the RH day, everything you need is provided, including helmet and gloves if needed

Jon_W
06-12-10, 09:52 AM
You don't need it anyway - at the RH day, everything you need is provided, including helmet and gloves if needed

I like to use my own hat and gloves.... personal preferance and all that!!

Squashed_Fly
06-12-10, 10:47 AM
Ditto, but it's good if yours is out of date/doesn't meet standards etc.

I shall probably use their leathers as I'm guessing they'll be nicer than mine, plus I don't want to damage them!

Jon_W
06-12-10, 12:14 PM
True. That's why I asked....

I think my hat is four years old, and my gloves will be brand new.... I'll have to use their leathers, as mine are two piece and not zipped together + I need the leathers daily...

BladeTriple
06-12-10, 05:59 PM
The acu stamp got replaced by the ECE one didn't it? Always thought lids had a 5 year shelf life then replace

Mark_Able
06-12-10, 08:01 PM
Your ACU sticker will be fine. It was the British Standards sticker that got replaced with the ECE mark... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I would use their leathers, boots, and gloves, but use your own helmet. Their kit is normally top notch, and is probably better than your own. Other consideration is if you do bin it, it's their kit you're destroying not your own... :-?

Mark_Able
06-12-10, 08:08 PM
Oh, and shelf life depends on the quality of the helmet, how much it's been used, where it's been stored, etc. Normally good quality helmets are good for 5 years (some longer), whereas the cheaper kit is good for only 3 years. Main concerns are if the polystyrene layer is still supple, the helmet is still a snug fit, and it's been stored out of direct sunlight... :)

Scotty
06-12-10, 11:32 PM
The useful life of the helmet has nothing to do with the Gold Star - that's just used to signify whether a helmet model is deemed fit to race in when it's new. Most modern helmets would be OK. It's up to you whether you use your own or not. I've had lids that I've crashed in but damaged only superficially (ie. light scuffing and gravel trap stone chips) pass scrutineering to be raced in again. Personally I wouldn't use a lid that many other people have worn - you don't know the history of it, and I bet the lining won't have been washed. It's your head Jon, if you have any worries about your helmet than it's time you bought another anyway, irrespective of doing a race school ::)

Jon_W
07-12-10, 08:00 AM
Cheers Guys.

The hat in question is a top notch Shoei I bought four years ago. It was bought with the idea of doing track days, which I never did. I use it about half a dozen time a year for long journeys and it is stored in it's bag in a cool dark cupboard. The lining and polystyrene are still mint condition.

I'd rather wear that hat that a school hat which may not be a perfect fit.

My question was related to being able to use it. I was under the (mistaken) impression that to do track work I needed a ACU gold certified hat. I wondered if mine was still in ticket.

Scotty
07-12-10, 12:19 PM
If the RH school is anything like California Superbike School they'll scrutineer any of your own kit that you intend to wear, just to make sure that it's up to scratch (zips work, no holes in leathers, gloves or boots, helmet's not damaged and the chin strap does up ok etc.) With a four-year old hardly-used Shoei you have absolutely nothing to worry about - make sure that the visor is in good condition, and if you don't have one already it'd be worth getting yourself a dark visor too so you have the choice on the day 8-)

One question - if you have paid out a fair amount for a top-notch lid, why leave it in a cupboard? If you hit the deck it won't do you much good if it's still at home will it? ::)

Jon_W
07-12-10, 12:38 PM
Cheers Scotty.

The reason it is left in the cupboard is that I have an equally expensive Roof hat which I use every day. The Roof is a removeable chin bar hat, which I bought after getting sick of having to take my hat off in fuel stations. Is a pain in the arse in winter when I have all the layers of clothing on to reach the D rings.

The only issue with the Roof is that it is a noisey and quite heavy hat. The Shoei is a lot lighter and quieter and so gets used for long journeys.