PDA

View Full Version : Seat shaver!!...Let the jokes begin!!

Bornagain
06-08-10, 11:55 AM
Being a massive 5'6'' and not wanting to buy a pair of Bon Jovi boots or Tom Cruise in-steps....does anyone know where i can get my seat shaved?

Thanks all...and try to keep the height abuse down to a minimum!!

CBRowner
06-08-10, 12:01 PM
Have you thought about getting your bike lowered instead??

You can buy the kits for less money [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
06-08-10, 12:06 PM
All the advice i've had (or read) suggests leaving the set up well alone, you can do more harm than good! I only want an inch or so and heard about seat shaving....only problem is, i don't know who does it around here.
Cheers

smellygerm
06-08-10, 12:24 PM
http://www.dirtrider.net/forums3/showthread.php?s=534382e8879cb86a3509870d14234f24& t=124449&conly= [smiley=thumbsup.gif] try this link it might help :)

CBRowner
06-08-10, 01:17 PM
I too am a sufferer of male shortness and I had to buy a bike to suit.

Thankfully though, my CBR is designed for the Jap market so it's a tiny bike anyway but I've ridden all sorts of bikes and have never really had a problem except with the off roaders :-[

You can get your bike lowered without affecting the ride but you'll need to do it professionally otherwise you'll feel every stone on the road.

I think GW's does it to some of their new bikes and Pheonix offers a similar service. Give either a ring to find out what they say [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
06-08-10, 01:59 PM
I'd just like to follow that up with....." My male shortness" is just in the height department!!

Really don't want to adjust the set up. An inch off the seat will allow me to plant my feet, that'll do nicely

Scotty
06-08-10, 03:26 PM
Or you could get some Daytona Ladystar boots, just the job for the short of leg [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
06-08-10, 04:12 PM
My male shortness" is just in the height department!!

haha, that made me laugh :-)

Scotty
06-08-10, 04:53 PM
" My male shortness" is just in the height department!!

Yeah, of course it is mate.... ;)

Beamer
06-08-10, 05:12 PM
lmao.....see its not just me who's a shortarse lol.......my facebook status of the day is....Im not small, I just shrunk in the wash!!....... (for those that dont have fb lol) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

igbell
06-08-10, 06:03 PM
or buy yourself a Harley Low Rider, that is what my mates dad did, as he couldnt fit any other bike

bubblylittleme
06-08-10, 06:03 PM
Place in Ringwood adapts seats but not sure what company is called.. will try and get name of it for you

alanTDM
06-08-10, 06:09 PM
try this link http://www.diggerseats.co.uk/index.htm

BB
06-08-10, 06:26 PM
I had my FZ1 lowered and it didn't affect the handling.

Always makes me laugh when people say they are 'only' 5'6" or so. I would love to be that tall but am now just resigned to being, ah lets say 'compact' ;)

BB

CBRowner
06-08-10, 07:14 PM
I'd just like to follow that up with....." My male shortness" is just in the height department!!

Really don't want to adjust the set up. An inch off the seat will allow me to plant my feet, that'll do nicely

Good point, I only suffer from it in the height department as well ::)

GaryMc
06-08-10, 08:00 PM
Try Cobra Leathers in Swindon mate. Great service and they do all sorts [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

They should get it back to you within a couple of days.

newnut
06-08-10, 11:01 PM
couple of things, I once took a seat apart shaved the foam down for my lad on a bike and just got it re upholstered, any furniture place should be able to do it, cost me about 15 quid. As for the "leave the set up alone" brigade, kits usually give or take 30mm, i just raised my rear 30mm with a jack up kit (aqainst all the advice from people IN THE KNOW) and i dont ride slowly. my cornering is much tighter and i think it feels much better for my riding style. however, saying that, lowering by 30mm will have the opposit effect, so you will be running wider on the bends, its worth taking that into consideration. Oh and it may not sound it but 30mm IS a BIG difference when sat on the bike! If your at the hog roast and someone has the same bike as mine sit on the two and see the difference. obviously with a lowering kit you will need to adjust your suspension as it will be firmer.hope that helps.

Bornagain
07-08-10, 10:20 AM
Cheers for the advice...i'll see you there.....look for the short bloke on tip toes!!!

StreetHippo
08-08-10, 08:12 PM
Just seen this lot:
http://www.motorbike-seats.co.uk/index.htm

Stu 8-)

Jon_W
09-08-10, 08:18 AM
I know the feeling of tip toes.... am not the tallest person myself!! I tend to buy lower bikes.... or accept not being able to get both feet on the floor.

If you only need a bit taking out (less than a inch), I'd cut the seat. Any more and I'd use a lowering kit.

Mark_Able
10-08-10, 09:18 PM
Like the new name 'Basil'... ;D

Ducatista
05-12-10, 10:43 AM
Or you could get some Daytona Ladystar boots

I am getting some of these for christmas.
If you want some Daytona boots then be aware that you can get them about £100 cheaper getting them sent from Germany where they are made.

tracey_c
05-12-10, 12:02 PM
ive had both my kawasaki er6 & kawasaki z750 lowered (z by 50mm) as iam only 5,2.no problems as they were done correct, front end lowered to suit. handling of the bikes fantastic husband put the bikes through their paces reported back that it handled better than when he had the z. :)

Davey
05-12-10, 12:44 PM
Cobra leather used to do them for my customers - top job and sculpted it so it still looked good (also sculpting can mean less foam needs to be cut out so your next post isn't where can I get a gel seat for a midget ;D )

Nooj
05-12-10, 05:16 PM
There's a place in Calne that does vehicle re-upholstery, from what I've seen of their work (they were at the bike day this year) they look to be very good.

South West Auto Trimming: http://www.swautotrimming.co.uk/projects.html

jaagsxr
05-12-10, 08:22 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/BKyBru3koEupHLPWP2vT*7lQZBHQz9gOl2nLOAxZir4_/FadPlatformShoes.jpg

Beamer
05-12-10, 09:25 PM
http://api.ning.com/files/BKyBru3koEupHLPWP2vT*7lQZBHQz9gOl2nLOAxZir4_/FadPlatformShoes.jpg

it looks like i may get my GSXR after all with those things......i need never worry about being vertically challenged again hehehe [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif] ;D

BladeTriple
05-12-10, 09:50 PM
Hey short stuff you could try Saxons in Bournemouth. They were going to make a raised seat for me on my GSXR as I have the opposite problem ... too tall for sports bikes but I changed the bike for something bigger instead ... You could always buy a minimoto or try this link .

http://www.saxonseats.co.uk/

They normally want you to go down on your bike so they can get a decent height check on you then they make the seat for you in about 3 weeks.

Bikermouse
08-12-10, 10:21 PM
There's a place in Calne that does vehicle re-upholstery, from what I've seen of their work (they were at the bike day this year) they look to be very good.

South West Auto Trimming: http://www.swautotrimming.co.uk/projects.html

This was the one I was going to suggest, but couldn't remember the name. They were extremely helpful when I contacted them.

kj

Vincent
10-12-10, 01:44 PM
Dear Mr. Brush,
Your being somewhat challenged in the height department is, let us say, one of the things your fans remember most about you. After all, one can only speculate on how a cameraman would cope with framing the shot if one put one's hand into a full-size fox and waved it around on the set of a TV studio. I'm told shaving one's seat can have very prickly and itchy consequences and small nics may irritate for a number of weeks. However there are a number of very good creams available should you wish to persue this avenue. I'm sure I join your Good Lady's opinion in as much as she must think you've been at the slops trays again......... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

Bornagain
14-12-10, 05:27 PM
Dear Mr. Brush,
Your being somewhat challenged in the height department is, let us say, one of the things your fans remember most about you. After all, one can only speculate on how a cameraman would cope with framing the shot if one put one's hand into a full-size fox and waved it around on the set of a TV studio. I'm told shaving one's seat can have very prickly and itchy consequences and small nics may irritate for a number of weeks. However there are a number of very good creams available should you wish to persue this avenue. I'm sure I join your Good Lady's opinion in as much as she must think you've been at the slops trays again......... [smiley=rolleyes.gif]

You wierdo :D :D [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bornagain
14-12-10, 05:30 PM
As a heads up - Since i posted this thread i've changed bikes [smiley=thumbsup.gif]. I now ride a GS1200 with a seat height of "jack and the bean stalk" preportions :o , this is due to a growth spurt that occured about 20 years too late
........But thanks for all the great advice

P.S. Ram it ;D ;D ;D ;D