PDA

View Full Version : Filtering..

freddieb
13-01-11, 07:52 PM
I don't want to focus on the negative here BUT this type of manoeuvre is potentially dangerous.. Saw a rider trying to do this up towards West Ashton traffic lights from Yarnbrook, yesterday evening in the rain about 6 oclock.. talk about putting yourself into a dangerous position...Jeez! Filtering into on coming traffic, nowhere to get in, stopped in the lane of oncoming traffic... I mean c'mon.. Yes filtering is part and parcel of riding but only if it's safe surely.. I supose I'm saying, don't just do it because you can get to the front of the queue, a little more self presevation required at times... Cheers..

Mark_Able
13-01-11, 08:52 PM
I don't want to focus on the negative here BUT this type of manoeuvre is potentially dangerous.. Saw a rider trying to do this up towards West Ashton traffic lights from Yarnbrook, yesterday evening in the rain about 6 oclock.. talk about putting yourself into a dangerous position...Jeez! Filtering into on coming traffic, nowhere to get in, stopped in the lane of oncoming traffic... I mean c'mon.. Yes filtering is part and parcel of riding but only if it's safe surely.. I supose I'm saying, don't just do it because you can get to the front of the queue, a little more self presevation required at times... Cheers..

Oooooooh! ::) Weren't going tother way was you Freddie? ;)

freddieb
13-01-11, 09:04 PM
Yeah I was.. had to swerve and everything.. >:(

Nooj
13-01-11, 10:09 PM
Always have an escape route, riding into the oncoming traffic with nowhere to pull in is just dumb.

Nelly
14-01-11, 07:41 AM
Always have an escape route, riding into the oncoming traffic with nowhere to pull in is just dumb.

Ditto that :o

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 07:48 AM
I find when aiming for small gaps, the faster you go, the longer but slimmer you become. So faster = betterer, especially when filtering into oncoming traffic.

ChrisJo
14-01-11, 08:02 AM
I find when aiming for small gaps, the faster you go, the longer but slimmer you become. So faster = betterer, especially when filtering into oncoming traffic.

Really? I'd change your name to 'Deathwish' if I were you..

If you feel the urge to filter, it should be done slowly so as to give you time to react to any change in the traffic.

Jon_W
14-01-11, 08:16 AM

Too True!!!!

Jon_W
14-01-11, 08:17 AM

Saw someone try this theory yesterday. He just made it accross the front of the articulated lorry!!!

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 09:23 AM

Really? I'd change your name to 'Deathwish' if I were you..

If you feel the urge to filter, it should be done slowly so as to give you time to react to any change in the traffic.

Or go so fast, that you beat any change in traffic ;)

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 09:25 AM

Saw someone try this theory yesterday. He just made it accross the front of the articulated lorry!!!

See works :)

Jon_W
14-01-11, 01:40 PM

See works :)

Rather you than me, playing chicken with an articulated. :o

I'll hang back and watch!!

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 01:54 PM
Just get a fasterer bike ;)

Squashed_Fly
14-01-11, 02:13 PM
fasterer

I'm loving the creativity here with the language! ;D

nobby
14-01-11, 05:04 PM
FILTERING ON A BIKE, ONE THING COMMON SENSE!!!!!!!!

wiltshire builders
14-01-11, 05:32 PM
This only works whilst saying "********************************!"

Mitch9128
14-01-11, 06:04 PM
This only works whilst saying "fook****fook****fook****fook****!"

If only we had a 'Facebook' like ;D

Mark_Able
14-01-11, 07:42 PM
I feel a lesson coming on.... ;)

Snowy
14-01-11, 07:46 PM

Classroom session in A & E perhaps.....

redken1
14-01-11, 07:57 PM

"It's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone a favour." ;)

HensonA
14-01-11, 08:18 PM
Don't think many would be content with you leading a ride out with this filtering practice. !!
Not too helpful a comment when there are enthusiastic and keen "L" riders on this forum.

RedSoul
14-01-11, 08:40 PM
My last 2 bike crashes have been while filtering though i still filter to this day in heavy traffic.I have become quite cautious now though its still a case of rolling the dice and taking your chances i think.........You just cant predict what every driver is going to do

redken1
14-01-11, 08:52 PM
I have been filtering traffic for 35 years (and still do) and perhaps I've been lucky without a mishap ('touch wood') in that tme. I agree with alot of what's been said. 100 per cent concentration is required and always expect the unexpected. I always imagine that every driver is going to switch lanes or pull across my path. That said, there are situations when I have used the bike's power to get out of trouble.

Spider1981
16-01-11, 09:00 AM
it's a bit like rugby if you go in for a tackle half hearted your goin to get HURT !!!!!!! :D :o

Gerry
16-01-11, 09:21 AM
Mitch: Think you are wasted in here mate - I like you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Guys: I suspect Mitch had a little smiley face when he was posting ;D

G :)

Sean.C
16-01-11, 10:23 AM
Mitch: Think you are wasted in here mate - I like you [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Guys: I suspect Mitch had a little smiley face when he was posting ;D

G :)

I thought the same thing reading this thread .

Morticia
17-01-11, 04:44 PM
Oh, I don't know, I like the fasterer style.

I'll ride with you anytime Mitch, you gotta show me fasterer in action.

Jon_W
18-01-11, 08:01 AM
Faster is great.... whilst all goes well.... slower has the advantage that you don't hit things so fast.

Have had a fair few close calls.... and tend to take is easy now.

BB
18-01-11, 06:32 PM
My filter speed depends on the road, traffic speed and my get out options. ;)

BB

Iceman
19-01-11, 02:01 PM
I only ever filter in stopped traffic or when it's less than 10mph in congested city traffic! Straight off "Bikesafe"course I attended and it holds good stead!
Be safe! ;)

Infact the police officer actualy encouraged filtering to stay ahead of the traffic which is safer than sitting amongst a group of vehicles with no safety "box" around you.But only up to 20mph.After that it can be classed as"driving without due care and attention". So, a fine line! ;)

Mitch9128
19-01-11, 02:39 PM
I was surprised yesterday, saw at least 3 bikes sitting in the traffic on the M4, when it was completely static...wtf! Also last week saw a bike sitting in the inside lane on the A350 into Chippenham, like all the other lemmings queueing...wtf, use the lane of least resistance folks!!! And if that means crossing onto the other carriageway, do it, you've paid your road tax, get your monies worth.

Geordie Stu
19-01-11, 04:03 PM
Filtering. Hmmm Always a hot topic. Link below covers it

http://www.bikerforum.co.uk/forums/new-rider-information/2835-safe-filtering-law.html

StreetHippo
19-01-11, 04:28 PM
Good article!!

Stu 8-)

Mitch9128
19-01-11, 04:44 PM
Seen Star Wars, seen the attack on the Death Star, down the trench? That's filtering!

Nelly
19-01-11, 04:55 PM
That is one very informative article [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Iceman
19-01-11, 05:19 PM
Yeh, the article is good but where was the original source of info gathered from? I've ridden with the police and heard their views or more"what they are required to do". I've already stated my opinion earlier in the post but suffice to say, people will filter at all speeds regardless.People will still speed and jump red lights. People will still drink n'drive and people will still insist on using mobiles!
As a rider you need to weigh the risks.I've seen police bikes filter but within safe limits as shown on Bikesafe and police awareness videos freely available on the net!
Ride safe! ;)

Geordie Stu
19-01-11, 06:57 PM
Seen Star Wars, seen the attack on the Death Star, down the trench? That's filtering!
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU [smiley=grin.gif] I don't mean Police Force

Nooj
19-01-11, 11:29 PM

Sort of like the stretchy effect on Star Trek when going to warp speed? ;D

Squashed_Fly
20-01-11, 12:12 AM
That article is brilliant

Mark_Able
20-01-11, 08:58 PM
It is a good article, but filtering is overtaking, and therefore the same laws apply. The article only mentions two times that you must not filter, but in the Highway Code there are five times you must not filter (overtake). Go have a read... :-?