PDA

View Full Version : MCN harassing me

gazzaboy
25-01-11, 09:51 PM
Had a call from MSN today trying to get me to subscribe for 12 months This Guy just would not give up. Told him to bugger off in the end. Anyone else has this experience?

Davey
25-01-11, 10:42 PM
No but if they call just say your TPS registered and they soon go - if not either go outside put the handset by the horn and deafen them or just leave it on the side so they can bore themselves to sleep

Nooj
26-01-11, 12:47 AM
just leave it on the side so they can bore themselves to sleep

The correct tactic to use for any nuisance phone call, ignore the attention seeker :)

(I do like the horn idea though!)

R1chie
26-01-11, 03:57 AM
MSN? Do they want to send you smilies?

I'm sure you mean MCN though?

Scotty
26-01-11, 07:58 AM
I received a call from them on my mobile on Saturday morning, the guy introduced himself saying he was calling from "Motorcycling News..." I put him right on that and told him that I wasn't remotely interested in having that criminal waste of trees filling up my paper recycling box, even if the first ten issues were free or whatever other enticement they were offering.
I've used the TPS on the landline for years now, don't get bothered on that any more - in fact the only person who calls me on the landline is my mum! ;D

Taylor86
26-01-11, 11:22 AM
Might be because they only manage to sell half of what they send out to retailers... and shhhh I didn't tell you that! ;D

Nooj
26-01-11, 02:26 PM
If retailers have a surplus, I'll have a few off them. I make those paper brick out of our old newspapers to get the fire going. Also makes good compost.

Taylor86
26-01-11, 02:59 PM
;D Unfortunately it's a sale or return situation where retailers get credit for returned copies, and they pay the wholesalers to destroy remaining copies... Just in case anyone wanted to try and get a free read of it! lol

crewy
26-01-11, 04:07 PM
I had a call from them to, just told them i read someone else's when they have finished with it and they hung lol.

Iceman
26-01-11, 04:31 PM
I had a call from them to, just told them i read someone else's when they have finished with it and they hung lol.

haha.Nice one!lol ;D

Sean.C
26-01-11, 05:13 PM
They rang me too . Told them it was crap and i wasn't interested .

Robf
26-01-11, 10:06 PM
they rang me 3 times in two days so i very politely told them i wasn't interested

Squashed_Fly
26-01-11, 10:12 PM
;D Unfortunately it's a sale or return situation where retailers get credit for returned copies, and they pay the wholesalers to destroy remaining copies... Just in case anyone wanted to try and get a free read of it! lol

That's not quite true - they have to be collected and they go for recycling. The publishers have a deal with the recycling plant so they buy back their own re-claimed paper. It's a process known as end to end recycling. We do it for our customers as well with toners, but the people who own MCN (Johnston press) are one of our biggest customers.

Taylor86
26-01-11, 10:27 PM

That's not quite true - they have to be collected and they go for recycling. The publishers have a deal with the recycling plant so they buy back their own re-claimed paper. It's a process known as end to end recycling. We do it for our customers as well with toners, but the people who own MCN (Johnston press) are one of our biggest customers.

Could be wrong, but as far as I know at wholesale level we get charged by companies to collect and recycle the mags :)
If a publisher wanted their own mags returned to them they get charged a retention fee due to the way the returns process works.

My my this is turning into a geeky conversation!!! ;D

Squashed_Fly
27-01-11, 08:01 AM
That's probably not far off the mark. The dealers should have to pay for any they don't sell to be collected and recycled, or at least a fee towards it. It discourages them from buying (and thus wasting) too many. JP (the publishers) have to do this though as part of their CSR and carbon neutral strategies.

As a side note - Interestingly (I use the term objectively!), most people think 100% recycled paper is environmentally friendly. In actual fact, being as though the last paper mill in the UK closed down well over 18 months ago, and most of the German & Italian producing 90% virgin pulp papers, your recycled paper has to be transported all the way to Chile to be re-pulped, bleached and then brought back meaning that a large majority of it has a higher carbon footprint than a European produced FSC paper. FSC is virgin pulp, but as they replant so often, and it's all from sustainable plantations it's actually far more environmentally friendly. Just a bit of extra geekness for you! lol

silly_simon
27-01-11, 10:45 AM
I'm not that bothered where the paper comes from :P all I know is a hell of a lot of them end up in the local (calne) landfill site in the back of my refuse truck ;D ;D

Col
31-01-11, 01:26 AM
Chile !!!! :o isn't there any operations capable of doing the process in Euroland/U.K. ? Any money in doing it ?
Curious that's all.

Anyway I consider mesen suitably geeked :D