PDA

View Full Version : R1 Quote

Squashed_Fly
27-01-11, 04:35 PM
Just had an insurance quote for my 1998 R1 for £233 :)

I don't actually have one (yet) but thought I'd have a look to shock myself at how much it would be. Put in my details as if I'd had my license for a full year with a years no claims (which I would want as a minimum before buying one!) and was pleasantly surprised by the results!

The 98 R1, red and white, was one of the main reasons for me ever wanting to learn to ride a bike!

NiteW4tcher
27-01-11, 04:44 PM
who was that with ? fully comp?

Squashed_Fly
27-01-11, 04:52 PM
That was TPF&T but FC was still only just over £500 so still not bad. Probably wouldn't go for fully comp tho on a 13 year old bike!

That was found on 'The Bike Insurer' comparison website...

Hopefully 10 years on an RS125 & a year on a ZX6r (including trackdays!) will be enough to prepare me for owning such a beast!

mcicy
27-01-11, 05:20 PM
Lucky you I had a quote for an R1 a few years ago and it was around £2000..... yes £2000 so went out and bought a ZX9R insurnance £196

Squashed_Fly
27-01-11, 05:22 PM
£2k?????? Wtf?

Are you 19 and just off a restricted license and only had a moped previously, living in a city centre crack den with no alarm or lock?

Looks like being (almost) 30 does have it's advantages after all. Aside from being a bit closer to not having to wake up and walk the dog when I go to sleep for the last time!

Mitch9128
27-01-11, 06:23 PM
Zx9r's are cheap to insure, £131 FC for me :)

Iceman
27-01-11, 06:44 PM
Zx9r's are cheap to insure, £131 FC for me :)

How much no claims you got? Great price fully comp!

Mark_Able
27-01-11, 08:41 PM
Just had an insurance quote for my 1998 R1 for £233 :)

I don't actually have one (yet) but thought I'd have a look to shock myself at how much it would be. Put in my details as if I'd had my license for a full year with a years no claims (which I would want as a minimum before buying one!) and was pleasantly surprised by the results!

The 98 R1, red and white, was one of the main reasons for me ever wanting to learn to ride a bike!

Learn to ride the wheels off what you've got first mate. The R1 takes no prisoners. It's a fantastic bike, but unless you can ride what you've got like a God, then you'll never get the best out of the Yam. I learnt on firstly an old 'Blade, then the SRAD 750. Both bikes showed me how easily the front came up, then the R1 wasn't so much of a shock. Be prepared, if you have the power on in any gear, hit a bump or slight rise in the road (including crossing the white line on overtakes), and the front will come up. First gear is mental, second gear off the throttle, and at 90mph in third it'll still come up with a hand full. Great fun if you expect it, pant-filling if you don't... ;D

Squashed_Fly
27-01-11, 09:14 PM
Lol, you're right there Mark. I'll probably have it for 6 months, scare myself silly then buy a harley! But at least I can say I owned the bike of my dreams for a short while! But it has to be the original 98 red and white one or I'm not interested.

Richzx10r
28-01-11, 09:04 PM
Part ex'd my 06 zx10 in november for a new r1.Insurance jumped £200.Thats with carol nash,who were still by far the cheapest for me.Give them a try.They were cheaper direct than through a comparision site.Which is a first.
And as able said"learn to ride the wheels off what you have first".No use making such a drastic leep in bike/performance and not being able to get the most out of it.

NiteW4tcher
28-01-11, 09:36 PM
i just insured my k6 750 for £300 including paying by monthly premiums.

tpft 2 claims and 3 points 1NCB

mcicy
29-01-11, 08:37 AM
£2k?????? Wtf?

Are you 19 and just off a restricted license and only had a moped previously, living in a city centre crack den with no alarm or lock?

Looks like being (almost) 30 does have it's advantages after all. Aside from being a bit closer to not having to wake up and walk the dog when I go to sleep for the last time!

Nope I was 25 had been riding since I was 16 never made a claim or had an accident

wiltshire builders
30-01-11, 01:18 PM
Just got my renewal through........£105 fully comp on a zx10r. I actually burst out laughing when I read it.

crewy
30-01-11, 03:51 PM
It's gonna cost me £430 to insure the ducati, thats with 3years ncb, and 1 claim. It was £1300 when i first had my ZX6R so at least it's coming down

mcicy
30-01-11, 05:57 PM
My zx9r is due next month and really hoping its a nice tiny amount on my renewal but I hate still having to go through the bother of shopping around for other quotes

Col
31-01-11, 01:09 AM
R1 = widowmakers ... be aware ;)

Jon_W
31-01-11, 07:46 AM
Have never gotten the 1ltr sportsbike thing. Feels like your riding a caged beast, ready to remove you lisence and the first oportunity...

...personally I prefer a smaller engine and work it harder, much more fun!! Have never been able to ride the Sv as fast as it can go, so am content with that!

Did my insurance last week, £243 for all three bikes!!!! Was dead chuffed!

Scotty
31-01-11, 07:57 AM
R1 = widowmakers ... be aware ;)
What, more than a Kawasaki H2 or a TL1000S? ::)

Squashed_Fly
31-01-11, 08:05 AM
I don't care if I never get its full potential out of it. I ride respectfully, only 'play' when it's as safe as it can be. Its the bike i always wanted to own. I probably wont have one long but I want to at least say i had the one bike that made me want to ride. Surely that is understandable?

Scotty
31-01-11, 08:08 AM
Have never gotten the 1ltr sportsbike thing. Feels like your riding a caged beast, ready to remove you lisence and the first oportunity...

That's half the fun of them Jon, they only hurt you or your licence if you're careless. Besides, nice bike though the SV is, it won't pull wheelies at 120+.... 8-)

Jon_W
31-01-11, 08:11 AM

That's half the fun of them Jon, they only hurt you or your licence if you're careless. Besides, nice bike though the SV is, it won't pull wheelies at 120+.... 8-)

True....

The motorcycle has two wheels..... I prefer to use both of them!!!! :D

Kevinb
31-01-11, 08:51 AM
I pay about £220 fully comp & protected on a 2007 MT-01, but then I am an old git ;D

Gerry
31-01-11, 11:43 AM

Not brave enough to wheelie (yet) but felt seriously underpowered yesterday out with Monsterman & Greenman, they are so quick on acceleration out of roundabouts ;D

They also gave me "fat tyre envy" a condition which can only be remedied with lots of dosh :-?

G

Nooj
31-01-11, 12:37 PM
Not looking forward to my renewal in a couple of months. Various modifications bump mine up which is annoying as the OE Aprilia bits would cost way more to replace than the bits I actually have on the bike, so I still say insurance prices are a total rip-off.

Col
31-01-11, 04:00 PM
[quote author=Scotty
What, more than a Kawasaki H2 or a TL1000S? ::)[/quote]

:-? wow that's going back some with H2s [never ridden one] and didn't TLs have dampers on new ? refer the thread about dampers..comfy bikes the TL and wasn't there a race replica version ?

Harry87
31-01-11, 04:38 PM
Not brave enough to wheelie (yet) but felt seriously underpowered yesterday out with Monsterman & Greenman, they are so quick on acceleration out of roundabouts

Riding back from the New Forest, Colin was leading. He and I broke away from the group on a really nice road (back to Salisbury? cant remember). Possibly one of the best rides I've had, following his lines around corners. As it was a twisty road, I could just about see him on the following corner, as I came out of the previous one. ;D

Scotty
31-01-11, 06:41 PM
...and didn't TLs have dampers on new ?
The orginal TL1000S didn't have a damper fitted and after a rash of owners being spat off the things Suzuki recalled them and retro-fitted a damper kit - now that's a case of something not being right... (referring to the damper thread comment) :-?

Green Man
31-01-11, 09:20 PM
Not brave enough to wheelie (yet) but felt seriously underpowered yesterday out with Monsterman & Greenman, they are so quick on acceleration out of roundabouts

Riding back from the New Forest, Colin was leading. He and I broke away from the group on a really nice road (back to Salisbury? cant remember). Possibly one of the best rides I've had, following his lines around corners. As it was a twisty road, I could just about see him on the following corner, as I came out of the previous one. ;D

O yes I remember that day that was fun apart from going thought the new forest and a wild horse ran out in front of me ;D ;D

Squashed_Fly
31-01-11, 09:32 PM
Wild? I bet it was bloody furious!!! ;D ;D ;D

Green Man
31-01-11, 09:38 PM
Wild? I bet it was bloody furious!!! ;D ;D ;D

Nayyyyyyyyy ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jon_W
01-02-11, 07:49 AM
Not brave enough to wheelie (yet) but felt seriously underpowered yesterday out with Monsterman & Greenman, they are so quick on acceleration out of roundabouts ;D

They also gave me "fat tyre envy" a condition which can only be remedied with lots of dosh :-?

G

;D Too true.

I still prefer 'em skinny though!!!!

Scotty
01-02-11, 01:43 PM
...Not brave enough to wheelie (yet) but felt seriously underpowered yesterday out with Monsterman & Greenman, they are so quick on acceleration out of roundabouts ;D...

Sounds like you need to spend a bit of time on track Gerry so you can practice using the SV's torque curve to get good drive out of corners and apply the theory to roundabouts - those little things fly if you twang the wire hard enough and the broad spread of usable power is really useful and easily accessible without the worry of being launched into the scenery if you're a bit injudicious (like you can be on a modern litre bike...)
The last time I looked on SWB there was but one place left in the novice group... don't use procrastination as an excuse for getting out of having a good time... ;)