PDA

View Full Version : end can/air filter

Squashed_Fly
28-01-11, 11:43 AM
If I were to fit a K&N air filter, and a new scorpion can, aside from improving the sound, what difference to the power output would it make?

Also, can I just retrofit them, or will I need to do anything else?

Scotty
28-01-11, 12:08 PM
It'll make a negligible difference to performance to be honest, power gains from exhaust changes come when you change the full system to a proper race system with shaped header and transfer pipes to optimise gas flow for the power characteristics required. I don't know which model ZX-6R you have, but if changing the filter you'd be advised to get the bike set up on a dyno to optimise the fuelling for the filter and pipe change. Depending on the model it'll require either a Dynojet kit or a Power Commander, plus dyno time - expect to pay a bit for it all, but before doing so, ask yourself if it's worth the effort. :-? Are you good enough to notice the difference on the road? Is the bike fast enough already? Are you going to race it? The filter will have more of an effect on the fuelling than the tail can, but IMHO you'd be better off just replacing the existing filter with a standard one - if it's been in there for a while it'll be minging!

jonnydangerous
28-01-11, 12:20 PM
and when you need to sort the "wopping great flatspot at half revs" after fitting filter and can, give me a shout.... ive sorted a few of these (suggs was quoted £500 for dyno time and jetting kit on his 600 srad by a localish motorcycle shop! i sorted it for MUCH less than that) depending on where the flatspot is depends on which parts to change, some parts are more expensive than others... :-)

K+N are good as they are easily cleaned and very robust, a race can will make a nice sound :-)

Squashed_Fly
28-01-11, 12:34 PM
Sound is all I really care about. I'm not advanced enough to get the most from the power gains. Just wondered out of interest really...

NiteW4tcher
28-01-11, 12:46 PM
when i fitted my scorpion end can obviously it was alot noiser.

as for power gains i wouldnt say power GAIN is the correct wording, it certainly gave my midraing a little more punch and sorted out a annoying flat spot around 9k

Dan

Squashed_Fly
28-01-11, 01:10 PM
I might just sack all taht off and fit nitrous oxide ;) lol

Nelly
28-01-11, 01:23 PM
Recently changed the Cans on my Z1000 from those ugly big flares that the K came with to a pair of Blue Flames. Cant say it made any difference at all power wise. But it looks sooo much nicer and barks like a pikey's pitbull!

jonnydangerous
28-01-11, 02:10 PM
one pound (lb) of Nitrous will give approx (in an efficient system) 100 hp for 10 seconds. (or 10 for 100 seconds) although there is a law of deminishing returns as you heat up the top of the piston....
1 lb of nitrous is approx £6.
if your can and filter cost you £300, you could buy 50lb of nitrous, which will give the same power increase as the can and the filter (5 bhp) for 2 hour 26 minutes (altho youll struggle to carry a 50lb bottle! hahaha.......
also youll have to buy the system in the first place...approx £500 for a good system with a progressive controller, (altho 5 bhp doesnt need to be brought in slowly!)....

stick with the can and the filter :-)

Mitch9128
28-01-11, 02:15 PM
Bandit 12 will see gains of 10+bhp with a can, not much else that does though, although sans baffle most sound like your going loads fasterer.

Squashed_Fly
28-01-11, 02:15 PM
Yeah, but the science pales in significance when you compare it to the cool factor! I've got Fast & Furious on in the background while typing this! lol

I never know sometimes whether I'm being taken seriously, or if people realise my (admittedly warped) sense of humour!

In all honesty, I didn't think you could actually seriously use NOS on a bike? Unless it's a drag racer. I guess you'd need extended swingarms and the like?

jonnydangerous
28-01-11, 02:18 PM
you could use it on your lawnmower if you liked....
principles are the same........
the oxygen content is used to burn in a chemically correct ratio with the extra fuel, and the nitrogen is used to slow down the rate of burn.
get the jetting right and youll be laughing, you just use jets for N2O and Oxygen for the intended power gain....

get it wrong and you will be searching ebay for a new motor....

Squashed_Fly
28-01-11, 02:21 PM
Sounds like my lawnmower needs pimping!

Davey
28-01-11, 02:43 PM
I've run NOS on a R1 - 75 increase in 2-5th gear bike was fooking loopy but great fun. Totsl cost was about £350 but using trade discount and was a few years ago. I also 'still' have my project gsxr1000 which has a supercharger fitted but that will when finally completed be a road legal drag bike

Jon_W
31-01-11, 08:08 AM
My Sv is set up with the mini-twins spec inlet and a scorpion exhaust. The difference only came when it was re-tuned for the new system. This gave about 3bhp more, and a little more torque, but it dramatically flattened the torque curve making the bike pull better at lower and higher revs.

It also sounds very nice!!!! :D

Nooj
31-01-11, 02:16 PM
Power gains aren't the be all and end all of after market parts. Far more important for a road bike is manageability and civility which you will almost certainly get from swapping these parts and spending some time and money setting them up properly.

Bikes aren't tuned at the factory to run perfectly, they are tuned (as quickly and cheaply as possible) to pass emissions tests and be just about usable, so often run like **** compared to what they are actually capable of feeling like. So it all depends on the bike really and how they are set up from the factory.

After market cans will let the hot gasses flow out better, after market filters let air flow in better. For example the FZS600 Fazer, ditching the original parts on this will make a much more civil throttle response and add a small power gain as they run rich in standard form. So the extra air in and less restricted hot gasses out improves combustion nicely, making the fueling about as good as it can be for that engine. For a bike that runs lean from the factory, the same changes will make the running worse, damaging the motor in extreme cases.

A big improvement an aftermarket can will make is in weight saving. I lopped about 7kg off the weight of my Falco just by ditching the OE end cans. That's a difference you can notice even pushing the bike around!

If it's fitted, another way to improve throttle response and power is to get rid of the exhaust cat. Together with an aftermarket air filter, even keeping the OE end can, this works wonders for the smoothness of the power delivery on an FZ6!

Another benefit: Unless you're going for the really high end stuff, most after market end cans will also be cheaper to replace after a drop then the OE equivalent.

Believe me, anyone who says you won't notice the difference on the road doesn't know what they're on about. You may not have the experience to put it into words, and it may be only a tiny difference, and the bike may even run worse than before, but even if you're a complete novice, unless you have no nerves in your body at all you WILL notice something.

The big question is: Is the difference worth the money? That depends on the bike and your budget. The more you're going to use your bike, the more it's worth making the changes, as riding it will be a more pleasant experience.

baxter
01-02-11, 07:39 PM
Hello . All I got on my zx6 is scorpion end can and is loud anoth for me. The power hasn't changed at all . But I have got to say having a loud bike is nice until you forget your earplugs and go on the motorway for a while .