PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of trading in the KTM

spudgun
28-01-11, 09:16 PM
i want to be able to do some longer journeys (join in on a few ride outs) in more comfort. Love the KTM to bits, never had so much fun on 1 bike, but my dilemma is what next?

thinking along the lines of:-

Aprillia Tuono (or even a mille)
Z1000
SP1/2 (always loved them)
Modern'ish sports bike with Renthals fitted

Open to similar suggestions, comments on any of the above

silly_simon
28-01-11, 09:27 PM
Mate out of youre short list I would go for the Z1000 :)

Of course not being biased there is the Fazer 1000 :D

Davey
28-01-11, 11:48 PM
Get test riding

Tuono - great bikes but the clocks always seemed so far away
Mille loved them - owned a few
Z1000 - what year? Latest one I caught my boots on the exhausts when riding as I ride with soles on pegs - bit wallowy but good bike
SP's - had 2 of them good bikes small tank and prone riding position

Why not a superduke? Or fazer thou (prefer them over the Z1000 but more pricy but were some older models going cheap)

Carbonkid
29-01-11, 12:14 AM
I'm with Silly Si & Stu - 'Fazer 1000' - Does everything, Good tank range, comfortable, strong reliable grunty engine especially if you have the 'Full Monty' tune up like mine, good following + infact have never heared a bad thing said about them... ;)

I've had mine for 6 years and not found anything else that ticks all my boxes to make me want to change it. :)

I've always loved the Tuono mind you... :D

redken1
29-01-11, 03:02 PM
Without doubt the pre 2006 Fazer 1000 is an excellent all rounder. I owned one from 2004 until I traded it in for the new model back in September. The power delivery was strong right through the rev range and it had exceptional low-down pull. A vey comfortable riding position with fair protection from the elements - something to consider if you are looking at the Z1000. The only reason I changed it was because I wanted a new bike.

Mark_Able
29-01-11, 08:15 PM
FZ1. But I might be biased... :)

Jon_W
31-01-11, 11:22 AM
Have a soft spot for the Mille I'm afraid. .... but that's just me!

Get out and test ride 'em all!!!

Nooj
31-01-11, 01:10 PM
What KTM do you currently have? Why do you want to change brands? If you want to stay orange, for your needs I'd be looking at the KTM 990 SM-T.

If you want a brand new bike, The RSV Tuono is now a discontinued model (to be replaced by the RSV4 Tuono), so expect some real bargains on unsold new ones, up to a grand off at some dealers!

If you've got the budget for it also look at the new Multistrada which is a cracking bit of kit.

There are loads of cheaper used bikes that fit your bill, I'd be looking at low mileage FZ1 Fazers, maybe an SV1000S or Falco (which I have) with a view to doing a handlebar conversion, old shape Fazer 1000 if you don't mind a heavy bike, old shape 1100 Multistrada, BMW1200GS.

Make a list of what you want your new bike to have and do, eg. Upright riding position, good fairing, 150 mile minimum tank range, in-line 4 motor, 220kg max weight, low seat height, etc. then see what fits. You may get some surprising bikes come up you'd not considered owning before.

Scotty
31-01-11, 01:16 PM
There's also the new Z1000SX, the mags have been giving that very good reviews as the latest thing on the sports-tourer-all-rounder front, apparently all the fun of the new Zed thou but more practicality for speed and distance work...

spudgun
04-02-11, 04:36 PM
Deceided on an RSV 04 onwards, if anyone sees one for sale at a dealer (local'ish) let me know

cheers ;)

Nooj
04-02-11, 10:03 PM
Best thing to do is join the Aprilia forums, there's a regular trickle of bikes for sale, we all know each other as well, so you've less chance of buying a duffer than on e-bay or from an unknown local.