PDA

View Full Version : Retro-fitting Elecrtic Start - Possible?

Loops
05-02-11, 07:33 PM
Well, pretty self-explanatory really! Is it possible to retro-fit an electric start to my '86 CG125?

Having had my kickstart go twice, and using the bike every day, I've been thinking about doing this and saving my right leg a bit or work...is it theoretically possible though?

I don't mind a bit of faffing, and between us me and my dad can fabricate parts if needed, but what would I need if it is possible?

NiteW4tcher
05-02-11, 07:45 PM
with my limited mechanical knowledge id say

youd have to manufacture a housing for a starter motor... and modify the original flywheel housing to fit the motor in and then find a way of marrying up the motor to fly.

imo not worth the hassle.

also its just came to mind....the fly possibly wouldnt have the teeth on it for the starter to engage with as the bike was never designed to have a starter motor...so ud have to find a fly that fits that has the teeth

Mark_Able
05-02-11, 08:56 PM
Simple answer... no! ::)

Toph
05-02-11, 09:06 PM
Sorry Nic, (without a change of engine!) it's not really possible, the engine in your bike hasn't the internal parts.
I am surprised the kickstart didn't weld, Ive repaired loads over the years, if you grind the shaft to a point and use a full penetration Tig weld, they are normally as good as new.

Loops
05-02-11, 09:36 PM
Ah well, it was a nice idea ::) .......I'll be making sure my next bike has an electric start (and kickstart for emergencies ;))!

The kickstart just re-broken at the same point - I might drop the old one in to you Toph and you can have another go. I'll keep it as a spare for next time!

Toph
05-02-11, 09:40 PM
Let me have it Nic, I'll repair it for you, you've got to grind the shaft to a point, then weld it, that way you get full strength . I know through experience, I've repaired a few in the past. :)

Scotty
06-02-11, 12:02 AM
Hmmm, you have a full licence and bikes are about as cheap as they'll be all year (before Spring arrives), ever thought about getting a better one with 'leccy start as standard? :-?

Loops
06-02-11, 11:13 AM
I went the restricted route, so it's got to be sub-33bhp, so it's a 250 or one with restriction kit for me - don't see many around and if I have to have the kit fitted it's just extra expense on top of the bike cost (remember my current one cost me the princely sum of £350 ;D)

Plus I'm waiting to hear if I'm going to be out of the country for two years, so if that happens I'll be unrestricted when I get back and can go straight for a big bike 8-)

Jon_W
07-02-11, 07:59 AM
More sessins at the gym.... build strength in the legs???

Alas, I do not think there was an electric version of the CG at that time, so I doubt the facility will be there.

Sounds like you've been unlucky with the kicker.... a new one should sort it.

As to another bike, keep your eyes peeled for a CB250RS.... great fun and physically no bigger than a CG. But it's a 250 with electric and kick so you have a choice.....

Loops
07-02-11, 08:24 PM
New kickstart now fitted - by comparing the two it looks like the old one may have been a pattern part anyway! Either that or Honda have massively improved the quality of their tooling...

Thanks for the tip Jon, I'll keep my eyes open! Same size as the CG sounds good, I need to go to the gym and strengthen my upper body as well as my right leg as I can still struggle sometimes with moving the CG if it's on a slope ;D

Jon_W
08-02-11, 07:48 AM
Could explain why Torph struggled to weld it.... cheap sh*t aint good. Honda stuff is usually good quality.

Here is a CB250RS

http://www.rideastride.com/files/images/upload200107170439403229.jpg

NiteW4tcher
08-02-11, 05:28 PM
i had a cb125 superdrem.......cost me £150 it was dog lol

Mark_Able
08-02-11, 08:24 PM
Could explain why Torph struggled to weld it.... cheap sh*t aint good. Honda stuff is usually good quality.

Here is a CB250RS

http://www.rideastride.com/files/images/upload200107170439403229.jpg
You shouldn't have included a picture Jon. Enough to put anyone off... ;D

Loops
08-02-11, 08:26 PM
Now don't blame Toph - he didn't weld this one, my dad got a friend of his to have a go (who remarked the metal was very soft). I'm more impressed it's lasted this long now ;D

Do you really think I'm gonna care what my bike looks like - with the conditions I ride in I just want one that runs (reliably), handles well and doesn't mind a bit of dirt and salt ;)

...remind me why I bought a bike with lots of chrome again......?

Jon_W
09-02-11, 11:00 AM
Aye, they may be ugly buggers, but they ride well, and are reliable.

Just cos it aint an R1.....

Nooj
10-02-11, 01:25 AM
How about getting one of the little starters they use in MotoGP?

I never thought it would happen but my eye has been caught by a 125. There's a Tuono 125 in ProBike for £1999. Would be a whole lot of fun with the full RS125 tuning kit on it! Probably not very reliable though.

Loops
10-02-11, 08:04 PM
Little starters? I don't watch the MotoGP so I've no idea what equipment they use :-X

I'm not knocking my 125 in any way, I'll probably still keep hold of it even if I do get a bigger bike - it sips fuel, is nice and light for manoeuvring through traffic (and in snow!), and gets me from A to B...

...I'd just like to be able to go from A to B a little quicker ;D