PDA

View Full Version : Tank Bag

vauxmods
08-02-11, 05:16 PM
Hi all, Can N E 1 help with a little problem i got, im looking for a tank bag which is suitable for a plastic tank,

ive seen the normal magnetic bags with straps but im looking for sumthin with a seperate tank mount so i can just unclip the bag and fill up with out undoing all the straps around the tank :-?

thanx all

Roxy
08-02-11, 05:18 PM
ask Chappers as he has 2 of everything in his garage ;D :D including non magnetic tank bags!

Roxy

wiltshire builders
08-02-11, 05:44 PM
Kriega do a tankbag converter for their us-20 10 and 5 and fits plastic tanks. It's £20 plus the bag. £59 £35 and £25.

Mark_Able
08-02-11, 08:26 PM
I've got a Baglux tank cover and an assortment of different size tank bags for my FZ1. Dunno what bike you've got, but I'd have a look at Baglux kit, which is very good. :)

Chappers
08-02-11, 08:31 PM
Well.......

The only tank luggage I would recommend time and time again to anyone - metallic or non-metallic - is the Bagster / Baglux set-up.

The tank cover takes no time to fit and once it is on you can swap between different tank bags and map holders in seconds. It is completely stable and that means the TB is also completely stable once connected.

When you swap bikes, you pop the old tank cover on ebay and get one for your new bike - knowing the tank bags / map holders will fit.

The tank cover also protects your tank - rider benefits from better knee grip and valet cleaner benefits from less paint-rub / scratches to deal with.

The range of tank bags is second to none and the quality is extremely good - extremely tough wearing, thick leather, spares are cheap and easily available (I lost a strap last year and was charged something like £3 for a replacement that arrived the next day). The good quality and portability of it means that Bagster stuff retains its value best for ebay purposes - useful if you want to change bike or size of TB.

I didn't end up getting the Kriega set-up because the bags missed a map holder / bag and other functionality. I realised I only wanted it to match the Kriega US10-40 on the back / aesthetics, rather than it being any good in its own right. I figured I may as well add to the back pack than put US 5 or US10 on the tank. Kriega bags are not good for 'quick access pockets' or clear plastic to see maps / sat nav - the usual functions of a TB beyond additional storage.

The latest Oxford Products stuff is quite good - I think I have the 2010 TB - but I find they change their range and fittings every few years. Once one bit of kit goes you end up having to replace the base as well as the TB. That said, I like my TB when I can be arsed to put on the bra thing - and that's the problem. The Bagster tank cover takes seconds to put on. The Oxford one is a faff to put on and then trying to attach the TB is an utter pain. So I don't use them.

I have tried and binned various other non-metallic stuff. Biggest criticisms are the lack of a secure fitting, so the bag and straps move around the tank and the straps rubs the paint work / head stock. Beyond the safety aspect of your TB taking the long way round corners, I found myself constantly worrying about losing my stuff and shuddering at the scratches and other damage it was causing. As with most things in life, you get what you pay for.

So, Bagster all the way for me.

For the back, it's Kriega. Obviously!

Hope that helps.

J

Chappers
08-02-11, 08:35 PM
oh yes, and filling up with petrol is a doddle - just unclip two of these and lift the bag to get to the fuel cap.

http://www.therevcounter.com/members/muzzychuck-albums-stuff-innit-picture2071-sidetabs.jpg

vauxmods
08-02-11, 08:51 PM
Thanx all, been a big help ;)

Uber Dave
08-02-11, 08:53 PM
Kriega do a tankbag converter for their us-20 10 and 5 and fits plastic tanks. It's £20 plus the bag. £59 £35 and £25.

Just reminded me I was going to buy a US-20 for use as a tail pack..... time to track one down!

YMFB
08-02-11, 09:13 PM
I have a baglux system for sale , see the classifieds.

I used it numerous times and as said above its a great system. It doesnt fit my new bike so I had to buy a new one that is acompletely different style.

DaytonaDog
09-02-11, 12:33 PM
Can anybody recommend a good website that sells the baglux system. I've been trying to find somewhere that sells a tank cover for a 02 Triumph Daytona 955i but cant seem to find one anywhere including on the official baglux site.

Cheers

DD

Chappers
14-02-11, 05:44 PM
here you go chief:

http://www.intobikes.co.uk/products?mn=162&mf=bagster

Nooj
14-02-11, 08:41 PM
I'd go with the SW Motech set up, a range of tank bags that lock to a ring which bolts to your filler cap.
LINKY (http://shop.sw-motech.com/lshop,showrub,129771589732348,en,1297715903-32359,products.1252674507.1256046661.1256046712,,, ,.htm)
Unlike the tank bra arrangement they won't scratch the paintwork of your tank as dirt can't get trapped under them. They're not cheap though!