PDA

View Full Version : what to do 1st.

Red Zed 1
13-02-11, 11:32 PM
my son (a future wb)is 16 and itching to get on 2 wheels,tbh i have no idea how to go about it now,things have changed since the mid 80s when i took my test..need some help/guidance on what to do,and why does it cost so much for a provisional licence? :(

Nelly
14-02-11, 07:43 AM
it was 3 shillings and 6d when i got my licence! ;) ;D ;D

BB
14-02-11, 07:52 AM
Where's that helpful Able Training bloke?

BB

Jon_W
14-02-11, 08:10 AM
He needs to send off a D1 driving license application form (from the post office), complete with money and a photo, stating he wants a provosional motorcycle license.

After getting the returned license and paperwork, He then needs to do a CBT (see Able).

He can then Ride a 50cc limited to approx 30mph.

Have I got any of that wrong Mark??? :-?

BB
14-02-11, 01:27 PM
I think Mark's idiots guide to the test/what you can ride/when etc should be stickied. 8-)

BB

jonnydangerous
14-02-11, 01:29 PM
then give me a shout, and il sell him my Suzuki TS50x :-)

Bornagain
14-02-11, 06:28 PM
then give me a shout, and il sell him my Suzuki TS50x :-)

Pm'd you.
My nephew's 16 in April and i've been charged with sorting him a bike.
Finding a geared enduro style 50 is an absolute and total nightmare.....They're all destroyed and abused!!!

Mark_Able
14-02-11, 08:22 PM
Yes I'm here... :)

CBT costs £125 on one of our bikes, or £110 on his own. It's a one day training course designed to get him up to a reasonably safe standard to ride on the road. If he doesn't make the grade on the day, we'll bring him back for more training, free of charge (we're the only ones who do that). Unfortunately we only have automatic 50cc scooters for the 16 year olds. If he did the CBT on an auto, he can still ride a geared bike, but just won't have had any training on one. If he does it on his own bike, it needs to be insured, taxed, and MoT'd. Getting reasonably priced insurance so as he can do the CBT on his own bike, normally proves to be the stumbling block. If anyone knows of a good insurance company, please feel free to share with us... ;)

Mark_Able
14-02-11, 08:23 PM
He needs to send off a D1 driving license application form (from the post office), complete with money and a photo, stating he wants a provosional motorcycle license.

After getting the returned license and paperwork, He then needs to do a CBT (see Able).

Do you wanna a job Jon? ;D

crewy
14-02-11, 09:58 PM
Yes I'm here... :)

CBT costs £125 on one of our bikes, or £110 on his own. It's a one day training course designed to get him up to a reasonably safe standard to ride on the road. If he doesn't make the grade on the day, we'll bring him back for more training, free of charge (we're the only ones who do that). Unfortunately we only have automatic 50cc scooters for the 16 year olds. If he did the CBT on an auto, he can still ride a geared bike, but just won't have had any training on one. If he does it on his own bike, it needs to be insured, taxed, and MoT'd. Getting reasonably priced insurance so as he can do the CBT on his own bike, normally proves to be the stumbling block. If anyone knows of a good insurance company, please feel free to share with us... ;)

Just though i would add, he needs to display 'L' plates front and rear when riding!! ;)

Red Zed 1
14-02-11, 10:31 PM
thanks for the info guys,very helpful..at the mo,luke has no bike,so able training's offer sounds very reasonable..will get back to you on that,what sort of notice for booking would be required?you all right,insurance is a sticky one.. :)

Jon_W
15-02-11, 10:52 AM

Do you wanna a job Jon? ;D

;D ;D ;D

I can barely remember my own name half the time....

Mark_Able
15-02-11, 08:33 PM
thanks for the info guys,very helpful..at the mo,luke has no bike,so able training's offer sounds very reasonable..will get back to you on that,what sort of notice for booking would be required?you all right,insurance is a sticky one.. :)

We normally need at least two weeks notice this time of year. We are surprisingly busy... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Red Zed 1
15-02-11, 11:06 PM

We normally need at least two weeks notice this time of year. We are surprisingly busy... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]
thanks very much,will let you know when,probably late march/early april..