PDA

View Full Version : Powder coating

garvey2003
14-02-11, 03:53 PM
Hi guys,

Just managed to secure some spare cash so with my wheels in major need of paint im after a good cheap powder coaters in wiltshire.

The colour will be a bright red :)

Anyway, Can anyone recommend one in the area?

Cheers Garv

jonnydangerous
14-02-11, 04:10 PM
yup....
BSA Regal in Southampton are VERY good.....
i know theyre a bit out of the way, but they allways did a good job for the company i worked at.

there are metallic finishes now, and clear coats (double the cost tho) but the finishes are fantastic.....

Scotty
14-02-11, 05:50 PM
I'll shortly be trying CY Finishes in Newbury to get a set of wheels done - bearings have to be removed, £50/wheel.
Tel. 01635 43860 (yes, 5 digits, I haven't forgotten one!)

Nooj
14-02-11, 08:27 PM
Are they the ones out near Curridge/Hermitage? If they are don't bother as they're crap.

Lapstone Engineering on Andover Down are good, as are Trestan Finishers in Southampton.

There's a place out on the A360 between Avebury and Devises that do various coating and media blasting but I don't know if they're any good.

If you want a real professional finish in any colour you can think of you'll need someone like Triple S near Leeds or Aerocoat in Norfolk. Both miles away but they're about the best you can get and do metallic, pearlescent, metal flake, candy, chrome look, anything you can do with paint really. They also do a return postal service as well so you don't have to drive miles.

whizz
14-02-11, 08:54 PM
Try Wessex Metal Finishers in Wilton nr Salisbury , top job done at good prices ask for Tim ! :) :)

garvey2003
15-02-11, 11:24 AM
cheers guys, I will give some a call. :)

Jon_W
15-02-11, 02:12 PM
There's a company called williams and Oakey in Radstock who do powder coating.

Nooj
15-02-11, 04:12 PM
This is a great thread, I'm always after coaters and finishers who can do small jobs on bike bits for sensible prices!

crewy
15-02-11, 08:59 PM
Have you tried reality in kingswood, bristol? had my ducati swing arm and yokes done, £75 for both to be done in satin black. Took about 2weeks in total

Toph
15-02-11, 09:07 PM
I work in welding /fabrication and we get all our powder coating done at "Azcoat metal finishing"
Marsh Farm, Hilperton , near Trowbridge.
It's run by a guy called Az, he's the nicest guy you could ever meet, so helpful, and he takes a personal pride in all the work he does, always a superb finish, he also shot blasts as well.
Can't recommend him highly enough, his prices are very good as well. :)

njl
15-02-11, 11:02 PM
The only time I've had stuff coated I used RPA

http://www.bristolmotorcyclepowdercoating.co.uk/price.html

Seemed reasonable enough had bandit frame and swinger done for about 100 quid, not a finish expert but seemed fine to me.

garvey2003
15-02-11, 11:59 PM
Just been down a place in Neilsworth, cracking guy. £35 per wheel :) the only problem is im not sure if its the red I want.

I've got until end of march to find a place. on holiday for a week so the plan is drop the wheels off before I head off and pick them up when I get back ready for work :) well thats the plan :)

jonnydangerous
16-02-11, 08:00 AM
Try Wessex Metal Finishers in Wilton nr Salisbury , top job done at good prices ask for Tim ! :) :)
Unfortunately ive had bad experiences of "Tim" with the surface being prepped by blasting, and shot left on the surface, which shows up as a small dot in the powder coat, that then goes rusty!...

shame really, it wasnt an isolated incident either.....

garvey2003
16-02-11, 09:21 AM
Thats good to know! the red I want seems to be a none stock colour so keeps pushing the price up.

I might have to re-think, as £80 a wheel is starting to get into the painting prices.

oh its a pain :)

jonnydangerous
16-02-11, 11:48 AM
is it a RAL colour? thats the most common series, and if you ring round someone may have some powder already and wont have to buy a tub full.
powder coat is much better than paint on wheels....

garvey2003
16-02-11, 03:54 PM
I think the most places keep saying only RAL3020 which is to red for what I need. I think its more RAL3026 Luminous Bright Red which matched the decals better

I'll keep phoning around :D

Thorkill_The_Tall
16-02-11, 10:30 PM
Avoid anywhere that does garden furniture.
They'll use slag for the blasting, won't mask the threads or jointing surfaces properly and the powder will probably not be UV resistant.
Dedicated automotive finishers like Reality are always the best bet for your pride and joy.

Lightning Services over at Hilperton Marsh Farm (behind AzCoat) are agents for them.