PDA

View Full Version : Wet Tyres

Moo
17-02-11, 09:16 PM
Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for a set of track tyres to run on my blade as a wet set?

Current tyres are Pirelli Diablo Supercorsa BSB which while road legal are not ideal for wet track riding.

Thanks

Scotty
18-02-11, 07:52 AM
Do you mean something that's road-legal or just for use on track on a spare set of wheels?
If road-legality is a requirement I gather that Dunlop Sportsmarts are really good in the wet.
If road use isn't a concern I have a part-worn Dunlop full wet 17" rear that you can have for a few quid - there's not much tread left centrally but plenty on the shoulders :)

Chappers
18-02-11, 11:07 AM
why not stick with pirelli's?

Standard Rosso Corsa's were fine for me and the blade yesterday, but I gather the new Diablo Rosso 2's are even better in the wet if you're pushing it.

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/gb/en/motorcycle/sheet/diablo_rosso_2.html

Squashed_Fly
18-02-11, 02:28 PM
Are Dunlop Qualifiers any good? The rosso 2's are 244 a set fitted, been quoted 207 firtted for the qualifiers.

Moo
18-02-11, 05:40 PM
Do you mean something that's road-legal or just for use on track on a spare set of wheels?
If road-legality is a requirement I gather that Dunlop Sportsmarts are really good in the wet.
If road use isn't a concern I have a part-worn Dunlop full wet 17" rear that you can have for a few quid - there's not much tread left centrally but plenty on the shoulders :)

I Think I need to add a bit more detail. My Blade has now become the track bike and the Supercorsa BSB are brilliant in the dry but as they have few groves for shifting water are not great in the wet especially on a track if cranked over.

I have finally managed to get a front wheel to complete the set and am looking at having some tyres more suited to wet conditions fitted to the rims so I can ride with a reduced risk of binning it rather than sit in the pits until the rain stops.

Not sure if full race wets will be a good idea or not as I have heard you need to be riding faat to keep them up to temp and I havent reached that stage yet.

Sean.C
18-02-11, 07:43 PM

I Think I need to add a bit more detail. My Blade has now become the track bike and the Supercorsa BSB are brilliant in the dry but as they have few groves for shifting water are not great in the wet especially on a track if cranked over.

I have finally managed to get a front wheel to complete the set and am looking at having some tyres more suited to wet conditions fitted to the rims so I can ride with a reduced risk of binning it rather than sit in the pits until the rain stops.

Not sure if full race wets will be a good idea or not as I have heard you need to be riding faat to keep them up to temp and I havent reached that stage yet.

Could always get a generator and tyre warms and run full wets . Plus the warmers will help get you tyres up to temp quicker in the dry.

Mark_Able
18-02-11, 08:28 PM

It's the tread pattern that's crucial. Very difficult to keep any tyre up to temp in the wet. I'd go for full racing wets. Having had my arse kicked on road tyres, by others on full wets, I know what a difference they make. :(