PDA

View Full Version : RoSPA training

YMFB
16-02-11, 09:19 PM
I did the IAM test back in 2006, I enjoyed the training and improved skills so today I signed up to do the training for RoSPA test.

Ducatista
17-02-11, 11:35 AM
Hiya, I did the same.
I was gutted when I got a silver because I really wanted to nail it and get a gold.

The training/test is largely the same but the main differences are the graded test which gives you something higher to aim for, plus the retest every three years which gives you an opportunity to keep your skills up to scratch.

Hope you enjoy it and maybe see you on one of the rideouts.

Morticia
17-02-11, 03:26 PM
Just signed up myself :)

ChrisJo
17-02-11, 03:47 PM
I managed a silver 1st time out, they don't like to hand out a gold to 1st timers :'(

Real pain in the arse though that insurance companies only accept gold.....

Ducatista
17-02-11, 08:34 PM
Adrian Flux offer a discount to ROSPA riders
http://www.adrianflux.co.uk/ridedrive/rospa/
(once your passed your test).

Obviously there are no guarantees that this will be cheaper than discounts you find elsewhere if you are shopping around.

YMFB would also be able to use his (possibly more recognised) IAM pass although be aware that some insurers require ongoing membership and not just a test pass.

YMFB
17-02-11, 11:09 PM
I dont expect to get gold first time and TBF im looking forward to the training more than the reduced insurance, which I probably already get the max with the IAM membership.

Is the RoSPA training one on one or in a group. When I did IAM there was usually a senior observer, a trainee observer and two trainees.

Morticia
18-02-11, 10:23 AM
I've been told is one to one.

Nooj
20-02-11, 10:13 PM
I tagged along when Debz did her RoSPA training and was very impressed with the way it was taught, I learnt loads from it. And the training was done at 'proper' road speeds, not according to arbitrary numbers stuck to occasional roadside poles (although 30's in built up areas were observed).

In one year of further training Debz learnt what it had taken me six years to figure out for myself and just following the pair of them vastly improved my riding. I highly recommend RoSPA, no matter how good you think you are on a bike, you will learn something from it.

PS. She got gold on the first attempt 8-)

Ducatista
21-02-11, 09:28 AM
Is the RoSPA training one on one or in a group.

The vast majority of the time it's one on one.

It's quite permissable for one tutor to go out with two associates. You can then take it in turns to go at the front and the back, which can work out well.
However getting 3 people to find a slot in their diaries together is generally nigh on impossible.

We do also have group rides on the 3rd Saturday of each month and assocaites are encouraged to join those as you can watch the way the members/tutors ride and get some practice.