PDA

View Full Version : Question For Able Training

Squashed_Fly
21-02-11, 09:40 PM
This was posted in response to the 33BHP certificate issue on MCN by a reader.

Think the 33 bhp restriction is bad? Wait until the 3rd Driving Licence Directive comes in to force in 2013, there will then be 2 levels of restriction before you can ride an 'unlimited' bike and DAS will only be avaiable to those over 24. It's costing £millions to bring in and even the DfT admit that most riders will just avoid it by waiting and doing DAS...

Is there any truth in that?

That's just what the motorcycling industry needs. Yet D1ckh34ds with plenty of cash can buy whatever car they want at 17... hardly seems fair...

Jon_W
22-02-11, 07:41 AM
It's in MCN.... QED really! ;)

Squashed_Fly
22-02-11, 10:01 AM
It's not in the article, it was posted by a reader. Who may well be telling the truth...

Mitch9128
22-02-11, 10:20 AM
2013?
http://www.motorcycle.co.uk/getdoc/d40e73c6-62d9-453b-b2e8-13da29830697/3rd-Driving-Licence-Directive.aspx

Squashed_Fly
22-02-11, 10:48 AM
So this year then, according to that article...

Can we assume then it's not hapening anymore?

Mark_Able
22-02-11, 08:54 PM
The bad news is, it is happening. Stepped DAS is all part of the 3rd Directive. DAS will be only open to over 24 year olds, and the bike capacity will increase to 650cc, along with an increase in minimum power output (about 50bhp). At 21 you will be able to do an intermediate licence, taking your test on a 400cc bike (and then be restricted). The training schools are unlikely to accomodate the intermediate licence by buying 400cc bikes.

So who thought it was a good idea to join the EU? :(

Beamer
22-02-11, 09:15 PM
So when does it come in?? :-/

Mark_Able
22-02-11, 09:16 PM
End of 2012/beginning 2013. Probably another kick in the teeth for biking. 'Bout time I found myself a proper job... ::)

Beamer
22-02-11, 09:18 PM
Not good at all then.... why so many restrictions for bikes yet not for 'younger' car drivers?? I really dont get it :-/

Mark_Able
22-02-11, 09:27 PM
Show me an MP who genuinely likes bikes, and is prepared to stand up for our rights. Rocking horse poo is more common. I for one, can not stand being part of the EU, and having our laws dictated to us. At times, life becomes so frustrating, it makes me want to emmigrate to a country that treats it's citizens like human-beings, and listens to what they have to say. Only problem is, I don't think that country exists... :(

Beamer
22-02-11, 09:52 PM
Show me an MP who genuinely likes bikes, and is prepared to stand up for our rights. Rocking horse poo is more common. I for one, can not stand being part of the EU, and having our laws dictated to us. At times, life becomes so frustrating, it makes me want to emmigrate to a country that treats it's citizens like human-beings, and listens to what they have to say. Only problem is, I don't think that country exists... :(

I am beginning to think that too.....they all say it on paper....Look at the new law last year on Equality etc.....haha...Only works when there's enough money in the 'pot'........ new policies being written up in all companies recognising that they are doing the 'right' thing....but when they try to put it into action there aren't enough funds to see it through....rubbish I say!!
All big words but very little input due to very little money and no real insight to the life of the ordinary person..... walk a mile mr politician, walk a mile in our shoes!!

redken1
22-02-11, 10:32 PM

You are spot on Mark. MPs' always take every opportunity to Flag up the UK as a tolerant society, but by their actions, show complete disregard for minority groups such as bikers. Unfortunately for us, in electoral terms the biking fraternity carries very little clout. I know I spend most of my spare time on a 'soapbox' but I just don't get it. Biking should be encouraged to cut down on road congestion, reduce our carbon footprint to name but two benefits. >:(

Nelly
23-02-11, 07:55 AM

Agree 100% But at 17 you can buy the most stupidly powerful car that you can think of.... >:(

Jon_W
23-02-11, 08:06 AM

Agree 100% But at 17 you can buy the most stupidly powerful car that you can think of.... >:(

Have been on about this for years. Seems ridulous to me that you can get behind the wheel of any car without any instruction and drive with your mum in the passenger seat, but for a motorbike, you have to jump the endless hoops of tests and examinations.