PDA

View Full Version : Helmet suggestions?

CallumSM
16-02-11, 09:25 PM
Hey,
I'm looking for decent quality full-face helmet (in black) for around £100 and would like some suggestions if any can offer the help. I currently use a motorcross helmet on my bike but have become increasingly fed up with the wind,rain and cold combined so have decided to switch over to a full-face helmet.

I have looked at the Caberg V2 407 in Matt Black which is around £90 and would like peoples opinions if they have had any experience with this helmet.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Many thanks :)

Honda_Star
16-02-11, 09:33 PM
Hi there

I found the Caberg was a little bit windy - it seemed to be quite noisy in my opinion. Get yourself down to GW...they have quite a few in their discount section which might be in your budget. Try them on, see how they feel. We all have different heads, so what might be nice for one person might be horrid for another. There is a theory that you either have a 'Shoei' shaped or 'Arai' shaped head - however personally I find both fit ok just fine. Go try some on [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
16-02-11, 09:48 PM
There are some reasonable HJC helmets in your price range at GW. I personally like the Cabergs although I have a flip and always wear ear plugs anyway so wind not too much of a problem

Mitch9128
16-02-11, 10:04 PM
I have a caberg v2 as a spare, it's a he'll of a lot quieter than my Arai Viper gt. I also like the twin visor, great idea.

jack930
17-02-11, 12:00 AM
wot size head are u ?

CallumSM
17-02-11, 07:47 AM
So there are mixed opinions on the Caberg I see..

I'm assuming GW is George Whites? If that's the case I suggested that idea to my mother who said she wont do swindon because she's never drove round it before but would take me to Fowlers if I wanted, are Fowlers a good idea for my pricerange or no?

@Jack
I'll see about getting a measurement this evening after college.

Jon_W
17-02-11, 07:53 AM
Have a try, everyone's bonce is different. I have always found Shoei and Roof hat's very good. Keep your eve out for special offers...

BladeTriple
17-02-11, 08:09 AM
Callum this topic has been covered a few times. Your lid is the most personal piece of bike gear you will buy. Nobodies head is the same shape and therefore everyone is suited to a different style lid. If you spend a lot of time on the bike in turn you're going to spend a lot of time inside your helmet so it must be comfortable , fit right and give you what you want from a helmet.

Honestly try loads on before you buy and this piece of kit above any other will save your life as it protects your swede! GW's have loads of different brands on offer, personally I don't get on with Shark lids as the chin bar comes up short on my longer face so prefer Arai's always have just a shame they're so bloody expensive

Lis'

CallumSM
17-02-11, 08:14 AM
Alright thanks Blade, I know this is probably a common topic on majority of bike forums so I apologise for that.

However, I did have the Caberg in mind only I could figure out the comfortability, shape, feel, fit etc of the helmet by trying it on however to know how well it performs on the road (noise etc) I'd have to purchase it first so I was also looking to see if anyone had experience with the helmet before I went ahead or if others had different suggestions.

Many thanks! :)

Caz
17-02-11, 01:22 PM
I have had both Caberg and HJC which I found very good but the internal dark visor on the Caberg is a bonus. It does depend on fit though and suggest you try on a few different makes for comparison :)

Scotty
17-02-11, 01:26 PM
Once you try Arai, there's no going back... 8-)
I used to wonder what the fuss was about them in the mid-80s until I tried one on at the BMF and thought "Aaahhh, now I get it", bought one and have worn them ever since, now on my 11th (12th if you include the off-road one as well) :)

Like Lis says, it's a very personal thing, you have to get what you really like and are comfortable in, and it'll be the bit of kit most responsible for keeping you alive in the event of a prang :'(

I like the old saying: "If you've got a ten dollar head, get a ten dollar helmet!"

Jacde
17-02-11, 01:29 PM
I've had Caberg (Flip front) and Shoei, much prefer the Shoei as lighter.
I didn't like the internal visor on the Caberg, found it distorted my vision slightly :(
The Shoei is much lighter in weight and has the pinlock system so I can fit a tinted screen on if I need it.
I always wear ear plugs so can't really help you much with which one was the noisest

Squashed_Fly
17-02-11, 01:29 PM
I've had a shoei and currently have a HJC. When funds become a little more fluid, I'll go back to a shoei I think as it was so comfortable, but also blocked a lot of wind noise. I wear ear plugs sometimes, but if I don't then it's very noisy

Kevinb
17-02-11, 01:39 PM
Alright thanks Blade, I know this is probably a common topic on majority of bike forums so I apologise for that.

However, I did have the Caberg in mind only I could figure out the comfortability, shape, feel, fit etc of the helmet by trying it on however to know how well it performs on the road (noise etc) I'd have to purchase it first so I was also looking to see if anyone had experience with the helmet before I went ahead or if others had different suggestions.

Many thanks! :)

My wife wears a Caberg flip front and loves it.This is her second one nad she has another spare. I prefer my open face (again Caberg) with a visor.

Uber Dave
17-02-11, 05:48 PM
Had a Caberg and hated it really, only reason I kept it was because it was free..... Heavy and windy (even with ear plugs in!) My AGV is 100x better.

As others have said, there is no one helmet which will suit all, best bet is to try as many as possible and see what you like.

Chappers
17-02-11, 05:56 PM
Once you try Arai, there's no going back... 8-)

I'm sure that phrase wasn't coined about Arai helmets.... ;D

I find the Arai lining lovely but the fit awkward. Shoei all the way for me. I must have tried on a dozen different makes to reach that decision though.

Chappers
17-02-11, 05:58 PM
oh and don't be shy to try on the helmet for at least 5 to 10 minutes in the shop. some helmets are fine for a minute but you really notice things a lot more when you start moving around and it settles.

noise shouldn't be an issue / deciding factor with any helmet imho. no excuse for not wearing ear plugs.

wiltshire builders
17-02-11, 06:54 PM
I'm assuming you're new to riding, young and funds are tight. It's all very well people saying "buy an arai/shoei but if you don't have the money, you don't have the money.

Arai make the best quality helmets in the world bar none. I'm not talking about fit or noise, i'm on about the quality of the materials used. Try on a middle of the road Arai like the quantum or the viper so you know how a decent helmet feels. These will be aroung £350. Use this as your benchmark then try and find something similar within your budget. You might have to come up a bit from £100 though. There are alot of cheap sh*t helmets out there.

Plain colours are cheapest but last years race reps can provide good bargains too. You want a D ring chin strap and enough vents to stop misting up.
I've found AGV a good comprimise between quality and price.

CallumSM
17-02-11, 07:42 PM
Okay, thanks for all your input.

@
Wiltshire Builders, pretty much spot on, been riding for a little over a year, almost 18 with very little money. So looking for a good quality helmet which wont put me short too much. :)

Taking the advice given I searched around a little more and looked at a few AGV helmets and without going too north of £100 I found the K3 in Matt Black (which was about £140) which I like the look of and has been given good ratings, does anyone have any experience with this helmet?

Jacde
17-02-11, 07:49 PM
Callum, where do you live?
If you can get to Swindon either by train or bus, I'd be happy to meet you and bring you over to GW so you can have a look at the bargin basement there. They have some really cheap lids as, Wilts Builders said, mainly because they are last years.
I work shifts so just to sort out date/time?

CallumSM
17-02-11, 08:41 PM
Hey Jacde, I appreciate the offer but I'm already trying to convince my mother to take me to either GW or Fowlers to try a few on and get a feel for them, hopefully this will happen next week and I'll be able to purchase one around the same time.

Jacde
17-02-11, 08:55 PM
No worries, just shout if you change your mind [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

CallumSM
18-02-11, 09:26 PM
:D Many thanks, she's agreed to take me over to GW this Thursday coming so I'll be trying on and hopefully buying a helmet in no time!

Thanks for all the advice and offers 8-)

Loops
19-02-11, 06:19 PM
I have a Caburg flip front too - I find it's not too heavy (for a flip) and wind noise isn't too bad either - the extra visor is a plus for me as I wear glasses, so I don't have to stop to swap from regular to sunnies (which is a hassle) if that big yellow ball in the sky suddenly makes an appearance! ;D

One thing I have decided though, is my next lid I get will have the option of a pinlock or similar system on it. If you intend to ride in anything but the nicest weather you will be fighting a constant battle against fogging otherwise...

BladeTriple
19-02-11, 06:21 PM
So Callum did you get there today and what did you finally settle on ? Hope you found the one !

bobf279
19-02-11, 07:34 PM
I have a Caburg flip front too - I find it's not too heavy (for a flip) and wind noise isn't too bad either - the extra visor is a plus for me as I wear glasses, so I don't have to stop to swap from regular to sunnies (which is a hassle) if that big yellow ball in the sky suddenly makes an appearance! ;D

One thing I have decided though, is my next lid I get will have the option of a pinlock or similar system on it. If you intend to ride in anything but the nicest weather you will be fighting a constant battle against fogging otherwise...

Yes I almost always have to have my visor cracked open to keep from misting.

NiteW4tcher
19-02-11, 08:20 PM
personaly my HJC was a awsome helmet very quiet but i found it a little on heavy side

my agv stealth is not particually quiet but is lighter which helps my neck out on the longer runs

as has been said before try try try as many makes as u can

and just because something may seem cheap doesnt make it crap

Mark_Able
19-02-11, 08:35 PM
I've had a lot of helmets. Didn't like the Caberg. Too noisey (even with ear plugs), and internal visor distorts vision. Shoei are excellent, still using one now, but probably out of your price range. Same with Arai. Lovely helmets, but loads of sponduliks. AGV sounds to be a good compromise. 8-)

Any reason you want a matt black lid? It's probably the worst colour to go for if you want to be seen. Remember, your head is the highest point on the bike, and normally the first thing drivers will see, if you've got a lid that stands out. With a matt black hat, you might as well wear camo gear as well... :D

NiteW4tcher
19-02-11, 08:42 PM
Any reason you want a matt black lid? It's probably the worst colour to go for if you want to be seen. Remember, your head is the highest point on the bike, and normally the first thing drivers will see, if you've got a lid that stands out. With a matt black hat, you might as well wear camo gear as well... :D

outstanding advice :) :)

CallumSM
19-02-11, 11:39 PM
@Blade

Sadly I've got to wait till Thursday to get over there but I'll keep you posted! :)

@Able

Moslty just down to preference really :P I currently have a black helmet with red patterns and a few pictures on it and I don't really like it that much, I want something plain and simple so that's basically it. I know it's all about being visible but I have to like what I put on my head :D

njl
20-02-11, 04:26 AM

I have a feeling you can retrofit pinlock to any visor, sure I had a visor or lid with the little plastic bits supplied loose, then would be a case of drilling in the right place to suit. Expect some dealers etc would offer it as a service

Loops
20-02-11, 11:08 AM
You can on most, but certain visors don't have the option due to the shape - mine being one of them as it's a 'rhino' shape with the raised nose area.

So it's something else to consider along with size and price and head shape!

Cemorah
22-02-11, 05:10 PM
I favour Shark helmets good safety rating comfortable (for me) very easy visor change (cleaning)

Personally would'nt even consider matt black - you need to be seen.

Noise - wear ear plugs for all but the shortest journeys

Have browse on the following

http://sharp.direct.gov.uk/

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-helmets/motorcycle-helmets.htm

CallumSM
23-02-11, 04:38 PM
Went to WB today, very glad I did. Excellent place with great service.

Walked in with a budget and walked out with.. Shark S700 helmet (grey), pair of RST Razors (white) and a new textile jacket all for £200. Well chuffed I am :)

So far I've only worn the boots & helmet once and the helmet is very comfortable aswell as the boots even if it feels weird shifting with them on. :)

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. :D

Jacde
23-02-11, 04:46 PM
Good news about your purchases Callum :)
I had new boots recently and thought I would really struggle with breaking and gear changes, but I found the longer I rode in them the easier the breaking and gear change to the point I didn't think about it anymore. :)

wiltshire builders
23-02-11, 10:41 PM

Walked in with a budget and walked out with.. Shark S700 helmet (grey), pair of RST Razors (white) and a new textile jacket all for £200. Well chuffed I am :)

So far I've only worn the boots & helmet once and the helmet is very comfortable aswell as the boots even if it feels weird shifting with them on. :)

Don't forget you can adjust the gear lever to suit the boots. Better than adjusting your riding style.

CallumSM
24-02-11, 10:26 AM

Don't forget you can adjust the gear lever to suit the boots. Better than adjusting your riding style.

Really? Is this easy to do?

Jon_W
24-02-11, 10:35 AM
Good one.

As said above, you may need to agjust your lever, or get used to the difference.

Adjusting the lever uis as easy as:

http://www.bikepartsuk.com/images/ww/parts/544220.jpg

Mark the shaft and lever with a line to slow original position
Undo and remove the clamp bolt (see picture)
Slide the lever off of the splined shaft
Move round one spline (use your marker as a guide)
Replace the lever and bolt.
Try.

Chappers
02-03-11, 12:01 PM
No one should ever buy an Arai without trying to remove and replace the visor.

Shoei swaps over in 30 seconds max.

Arai ... well the air is blue and I'm now on my second cuppa figuring out how to fit the visor without breaking the damned mechanism that you can't see ... http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/2066.gif (http://www.cool-smileys.com/smiley-banging-head-against-the-wall)
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/2091.gif (http://www.cool-smileys.com/smiley-banging-himself-on-the-head-with-a-club)

Mark_Able
02-03-11, 08:25 PM

Arai ... well the air is blue and I'm now on my second cuppa figuring out how to fit the visor without breaking the damned mechanism that you can't see ... http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/2066.gif (http://www.cool-smileys.com/smiley-banging-head-against-the-wall)
http://www.cool-smileys.com/images/2091.gif (http://www.cool-smileys.com/smiley-banging-himself-on-the-head-with-a-club)

Strange? I used to be able to change the visor on my old Arai in less than 10 seconds... :-?

Scotty
02-03-11, 08:29 PM
James mate, you either got it, or you ain't..... ;D ;D ;D

wiltshire builders
02-03-11, 08:33 PM

To be fair, the old system was alot better than the new one although the first time you do it, it does feel like something is about to break.
Why do they have to change things?

Scotty
02-03-11, 09:17 PM
The old side pods were prone to cracking at the "inside" corner of the visor aperture in them. I've not had any of the newer side pods crack, just several break the small retaining lug off the inside top of the side pod - fortunately Phoenix's Technical Department replace them for free 8-)