PDA

View Full Version : Nooj...

Squashed_Fly
22-02-11, 04:49 PM
I was thinking of getting some kind of pressure washer for cleaning the bike. I know the foibles of high pressure ones, and the damage they can do. Was thinking of getting a pump action water sprayer such as this one http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/pressure-sprayer-6.aspx

Would that be safe enough?

Snowy
22-02-11, 08:10 PM
I was thinking of getting some kind of pressure washer for cleaning the bike. I know the foibles of high pressure ones, and the damage they can do. Was thinking of getting a pump action water sprayer such as this one http://www.plantmenow.co.uk/pressure-sprayer-6.aspx

Would that be safe enough?

Yes, it would be safe. Yes, it would be useless. But your roses will thank you for it. ;D

Mitch9128
22-02-11, 08:15 PM
Seriusly SF, just put a pressure washer on flared spray, and stand back. It's only gonna push grease out of sealed bearings if you stand up close with prolonged use. Get the other one for applying the wd40 in copious quantities to your chain ;)

Loops
22-02-11, 08:39 PM
Nooj used his normal (looking) pressure washer on my CG without any problems and that's not got any body work to protect it and it started straight away afterwards!

So if it's safe for that it must be safe for one with more bodywork on it ;)

Snowy
22-02-11, 08:45 PM
They're fine as long as you keep high pressure spray away from bearings, seals, brakes and electrics. Just be careful and they work well enough but keep a good angle away from paintwork as the more powerfull ones will strip paint.

redken1
22-02-11, 08:48 PM
Seriusly SF, just put a pressure washer on flared spray, and stand back. It's only gonna push grease out of sealed bearings if you stand up close with prolonged use. Get the other one for applying the wd40 in copious quantities to your chain ;)

Do I detect a degree of sarcasm. I always use a pressure washer to clean my bike because it disperses bike cleaners faster than a conventional hose pipe. As long as the jet is kept a safe distance away from the bike the pressure is less than that of a hose pipe. I have been cleaning my bikes with a pressure washer for over twenty years and as far as I am aware I have not caused any damage thus far. I always buy a cheapie as I find they don't last that long. Ok to go to the top end of the market if you are using it every day for industrial tasks.

wiltshire builders
22-02-11, 09:52 PM
It's not just bearings. Watch out for fairing decals too.

nobby
22-02-11, 10:24 PM
ive been washing my bikes for years with a pressure washer and they get caked in sh*t every day i go to work i use cheap protection spray after every wash as i normally wash the bike off 1or2 times aweek. bike still looks good. go buy a small cheap washer not to much power in them but enough to clean the bike off.

Nooj
23-02-11, 10:40 PM
I use a small Karcher one as I wanted a good quality one to keep it working regularly, but for occasional use a cheap shop's own brand one from Homebase or where ever will be OK. As Mitch says, with a fan/flair lance it'll be fine :)

Spray across bearings rather than into them and nothing nasty will happen. Bikes are designed to be weather proof these days, if they can survive a prolonged drenching from bombing up a motorway for hours on end in the pouring rain while getting gallons of spray chucked over them when passing trucks a small jet washer won't harm them if you apply a little common sense about where you aim the water and how close you get.

Get one of those five litre pump-up weed killer spray/bottle things as well for your car shampoo and a big emulsion brush rather than a sponge and you'll be well away.

Squashed_Fly
24-02-11, 09:14 AM
That's a good idea. So I need some parrafin, white spirit, car shampoo, wash mitt, can of ACF50 or equivalent protective spray, pump spray bottle and pressure washer and that should be a good home kit?

Nooj
26-02-11, 10:49 PM
Here, you're not setting up in competition are you?? :o

The brushes for painting down the backs of radiators are also useful for getting into hard to reach places, so get a couple of those as well.

And a waffle weave microfibre cloth will do a much better job of drying that an chamois will.

Squashed_Fly
27-02-11, 12:34 AM
Lol, No, I just like to know what to get

Squashed_Fly
08-03-11, 07:38 AM
Right, got myself a 3ltr pump spray bottle and filled with diluted car shampoo, small kitchen brush, new hose pipe with spray attachment, some brake cleaner, big bottle of white spirit, some old plastic trays and a JML microfibre mitt, that has the soft bristles one side, and the waffle weave on the other. Now I can clean my bike completely (including wheels) in just over 20 mins. Much better than filling up the washing up bowl!

Thanks for the advice Nooj :)

I want to get it ACF50'd, but new leathers last month, new exhaust this month and new tyres next month are making it not probable now until the summer. There always seems to be something else I need to get. But at least the new cleaning kit is helping to keep it shiny