PDA

View Full Version : Winter Repairs on the 9

mcicy
09-02-11, 06:13 PM
As its winter I thought I'd stick the bike in the garage and get to work on the list of jobs I've needed to do as well as the jobs handed to me after my last MOT:

So I have a list of jobs:

Replace Smashed indicator (done while removing the bike cover)
Fit new front tyre
Replace fork oil
Fit new horn
Touch-up paint work
Replace head bearings

Started all this by putting the bike up on an engine hoist (upside down front forks so have to lift whole bike to top up oil in them) and that was back in November

So far I have:

Fitted a new horn
Replaced indicator

Well that took me 3 months due to laziness and a cold garage... Think I am gonna really have to get on with these jobs as I really wanna get out on the bike

redken1
09-02-11, 06:38 PM
Go for it buddy. Put some Clash on to get you motivated. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

mcicy
10-02-11, 07:37 AM
Went home last night with every intension of getting some more work done, but once I'd had my dinner and a few beers I ended up watching tv on the sofa :-[

Nelly
10-02-11, 07:40 AM
could be a long job... :)

Mitch9128
10-02-11, 07:40 AM
What 9 have you got McIcy? Got to do my head bearings soon, i've bought them, but i'll probably end up putting it in the shop, the top race looks easy enough, but the bottom looks a bind to get out.

Jon_W
10-02-11, 08:00 AM
Go for it buddy. Put some Clash on to get you motivated. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hear hear..... get to it!!! :P

Scotty
10-02-11, 12:44 PM
What 9 have you got McIcy? Got to do my head bearings soon, i've bought them, but i'll probably end up putting it in the shop, the top race looks easy enough, but the bottom looks a bind to get out.
Bottom race is straightforward enough to remove from the headstock, there'll be a couple of cut-outs in the seat for the race for you to get a drift behind it and just tap it out - simples! The top will be the same, only you have to drift it from beneath. 8-)

mcicy
10-02-11, 01:47 PM

ZX9R C2 - have to take mine to my dads work as the threads look stripped so need one of the mechanics to work some magic on them

BB
11-02-11, 12:44 PM
Dad's are handy :)

BB

jonnydangerous
11-02-11, 02:10 PM
not saying this is an accepted method, or that it will be good for yours....
i have done head race bearings, lifting the front off the floor, by a trolley jack on the collector in the downpipes under the enngine (shock! horror!) or by the trolley jack on the sump......

it was my own bike tho and i was prepared for the damage it might have caused.....

whole front end can come out then, eeeeeasy :-)

up to you tho if you want to take that chance....

Mitch9128
11-02-11, 02:13 PM
Trolley jack with wood plank on the sump is my preffered method also :)

mcicy
16-02-11, 12:03 AM
Dammit now I need a new front tire too.

Head bearings are now done, front forks don't need topping up afterall thankgod

Nooj
16-02-11, 03:32 AM
You're getting there :-)

mcicy
17-02-11, 06:40 AM
Luckily I have a spare tire kicking around the garage and the bike is already in bits

Good thing my dad used to be a tire fitter so thats one less expense

mcicy
09-03-11, 09:11 AM
Well the problems persist was hoping to get out on the bike this week only to find the clutch cable frayed to the point where every gear change could be the last.

Might as well change the oil and oil filter while I wait to get a new cable delivered