PDA

View Full Version : I think we should start naming and shaming

ANTI_HERO_HULL
07-03-11, 03:10 PM
This is selfish purely as it makes me feel better but yesterday I swear I could have poured petrol on a mans car and lit it with him in it. I haven't been riding long I mean its only months but I have already lost count of people pulling out on me.am I being crazy or does every one in a car now hate me lol.

Nelly
07-03-11, 03:14 PM
Unfortunately something that happens a lot these days Mike.
People seem to be in too much of a rush to be able to stop and look properly when out in the cage.
Keep you eyes peeled fella. I ride assuming that everyone around me is a complete clot, until they prove me otherwise. Works for me anyway.. ;)

And i sort of agree. Have been tempted to warn about morons before now. Not sure the legality of posting reg numbers though... :-?

Jon_W
07-03-11, 03:20 PM
Assume every f**ker in a car wants to kill you and you'll not be far wrong.

Make sure you are easy to see and have your eyes peeled for danger. Don't be in a hurry yourself....

jonnydangerous
07-03-11, 03:41 PM
sometimes you dont even see them...(3 weeks in a hospital, 5 broken bones, 3 puncture wounds, 6 operations (7th pending) and 6 pints of blood, and learning to walk on a dodgy leg again)....

my angel was with me that day, but theres no guarantees......

take care peeps, but dont let it spoil your biking... :-)

Squashed_Fly
07-03-11, 03:59 PM
What's the use inposting reg's anyway? You won't have enough time to read it and remember if they're an idiot, by the time they do something stupid.

Inevitably, if they pull out in front of you, you probably won't even see the plate before you're lying on the ground next to it...

Ride sensibly - if you are passing a junction, come accross to the opposite side of the lane to maximise your chances. On dual carriageways, pull into the fast lane when going past exits. You can never guarantee safety, but the times I've seen bikers doing 50/60 down thamesdown drive, in the same lane that any cars would be pulling into, never ceases to amaze me. I find myself thinking on their behalf 'if a car pulls out now, you stand no chance of being able to swerve round it!'

Ride defensively and evasively (and I don't mean from the police Mitch!) ;D ;D ;D

Ducatista
07-03-11, 04:22 PM
I don't get a lot of people pulling out on me.
I don't know whether that's anything to do with my Hi-Viz that I wear all the time.

I also have a helmet camera which would come in really handy if I have an accident or witness one.
However I must admit I don't wear the camera 100% of the time and I need to take it more often.

Geordie Stu
07-03-11, 04:25 PM
Same old story "SMIDSY"

Ride thinking every other vehicle can't or hasn't seen you.

Mitch9128
07-03-11, 05:58 PM
I had this happen 3 times today, before i even got to the M4! Luckily my spidey sense kicked in and disaster was averted, i hardly ever go spaz these days, just give them a killer stare from behind my black visor and ride off shaking my head.

Honda_Star
07-03-11, 06:51 PM
I also have a helmet camera which would come in really handy if I have an accident or witness one.
However I must admit I don't wear the camera 100% of the time and I need to take it more often.

Yep - I have a camera too - only taken it out a couple of times. People do seem to be a bit more cautious around you when they see it......well worth having! :)

spook
07-03-11, 07:21 PM
And its not just the ones pulling out. I had a guy run into the back of me last September when I stopped in the road to let a car out :-X That was the end of that bike.

wiltshire builders
07-03-11, 07:51 PM
And its not just the ones pulling out. I had a guy run into the back of me last September then I stopped in the road to let a car out :-X That was the end of that bike.
I don't ever let anyone out when riding. Too much risk of confusion. Also I don't want people expecting a bike to let them out, seeing the headlight on and thinking you've flashed them out. Had that happen before. Don't do it.

Mark_Able
07-03-11, 09:21 PM
If you think they haven't seen you, SOUND YOUR HORN before it's too late. It's there as a warning, and will save your skin. Don't be embarressed. It's saved me more times than I care to remember... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
08-03-11, 12:57 AM
Is it time for a 'loud pipes save lives' debate?? ;)

newnut
08-03-11, 12:18 PM
Is it time for a 'loud pipes save lives' debate?? ;)

thats something i definately agree with. i might cut mine down......more. lol

Ducatista
08-03-11, 02:06 PM
I had a guy run into the back of me last September when I stopped in the road to let a car out

My rule of thumb, is only be courteous if it doesn't put you at risk.

The right hand turning into my close at home is narrow (well a squeeze for a car plus bike).
When I take the right turn I now pull over to left to block cars from undertaking on my left.
They are quite happy to drive within 3 inches of my left leg as they are in a metal box, but I'm not happy with it so I make them wait a few seconds.

Safety comes before courtesy in my book.

rich1988
08-03-11, 07:50 PM
sometimes you dont even see them...(3 weeks in a hospital, 5 broken bones, 3 puncture wounds, 6 operations (7th pending) and 6 pints of blood, and learning to walk on a dodgy leg again)....

my angel was with me that day, but theres no guarantees......

take care peeps, but dont let it spoil your biking... :-)

you still ride?

redken1
08-03-11, 07:52 PM
[QUOTE]I had a guy run into the back of me last September when I stopped in the road to let a car out

My rule of thumb, is only be courteous if it doesn't put you at risk.

The right hand turning into my close at home is narrow (well a squeeze for a car plus bike).
When I take the right turn I now pull over to left to block cars from undertaking on my left.
They are quite happy to drive within 3 inches of my left leg as they are in a metal box, but I'm not happy with it so I make them wait a few seconds.

I agree with your rule of thumb - If I am stationary and a car has been waiting to exit a side road onto a busy main drag I will always allow the driver time to join the traffic flow. I know how frustrating it can be to wait for ages to exit a side road during rush hour. It’s all about striking a balance between riding safely and being courteous to other road users. I am of the opinion that roundabouts would work much more efficiently if vehicles did not enter and negotiate them in the same way as they would a chicane on a racetrack.

spook
08-03-11, 08:23 PM
Treat them like thier all out to get you and you cant go far wrong, that what my dad told me a long, long ,long time ago.
And he was a Policeman ;D

Loops
08-03-11, 09:07 PM
I've started calling it my 'Bikers Complex'

A typical example being:

"They haven't seen me, they haven't seen me, move out a bit, they've still not seen me, they're going to try and kill me, they're going to try and kill me, hellooooo I'm here, why aren't you looking at me, better move out a bit further, ready to brake............oh, they did see me" ;D

Squashed_Fly
09-03-11, 01:26 PM
If you ride everywhere like that Loops, short of something really stupid happening like someone running a red light etc, then you should be around for many years of happy riding!

ChrisJo
09-03-11, 03:06 PM

Yep - I have a camera too - only taken it out a couple of times. People do seem to be a bit more cautious around you when they see it......well worth having! :)

Where can I get one?

Chris

Ducatista
09-03-11, 03:32 PM
I have this one.

http://www.actioncameras.co.uk/X170

It eats batteries though.
You can use rechargeables but they don't last very long.