PDA

View Full Version : Remove standard exhaust baffles

Squashed_Fly
02-03-11, 05:56 PM
Just wondering, can I remove the standard baffles on my exhaust to improve the sound? Then pop them back in for MOT time? No experience of anything like this, and I can't afford a new can at present but I like the growl of my mates scorpion so thought in theory this could be a good interim option until I can get a second hand can in good nick.

Mitch9128
02-03-11, 06:28 PM
Nope, std can on the 6r is fixed baffle, most are. Make your own http://www.pjengineering.co.uk/index.asp i've been toying with it for ages. Or this fella http://www.torquetechnique.com/ is in Wilton, he'll knock you up a custom. Failing that, and if funds are low, see what cans are a common fixing, have you a 3 bolt can?

Squashed_Fly
02-03-11, 06:53 PM
Yeah, itis 3 bolt

Mitch9128
02-03-11, 07:08 PM
9r fits, bandit 12, not sure what else, but probably some more.

wiltshire builders
02-03-11, 08:26 PM
Try this: Ride along at a steady pace, hit the kill switch, give it a handfull of throttle then flick the kill switch back on again. Do this enough times and your baffles will remove themselves from the can. ;D Also a good way to scare the sh*t out of chavs ;)

Scotty
02-03-11, 08:27 PM
....yeah but doing that sounds so much better with a race can... ;)

Jon_W
03-03-11, 08:27 AM
Try this: Ride along at a steady pace, hit the kill switch, give it a handfull of throttle then flick the kill switch back on again. Do this enough times and your baffles will remove themselves from the can. ;D Also a good way to scare the sh*t out of chavs ;)

Saw a guy do that with a stubby harris can. It sheared the pop rivets and blew the whole rear of the can off!!!!!!

SF - Fraid not!! You may be able to get your scorpion modifeied though. The scorpion road can is a race one with removable baffles. al it would involve is changeing the end plate and fitting the baffles. Suggest you have a chat with scorpion and see if you can ge the bits.

Squashed_Fly
03-03-11, 09:39 AM
I don't have a scorpion, just a standard kawasaki one. For now...!

Squashed_Fly
03-03-11, 09:53 AM
Mitch - just rang PJ Engineering. £130 for a carbon oval can, with removable baffles/Db killer, and the bolts etc to swap it straight over. Come's already built as well. Cheaper if you want to build it yourself, but it involves welding so no good for me.

You can't argue with a price like that though. I'd be looking at around £300 minimum for the equivalent Scorpion can.

If it's not a stupid question - why is it so much cheaper for a custom made can, than an off the shelf one? Is there anything I should be aware of before buying?

Snowy
03-03-11, 10:45 AM
Just don't be too disappointed if you end up with a great noise and a rougher running engine to go with it. The effect of removing the baffle on some bikes (mine included) can affect the back pressure enough to reduce performance. The engine designers would have taken this into account with the fueling and it can lean out the mixture. If your engine has oxygen sensors linked to the ECU it can compensate but not if you don't.

Might not be a problem in your case but wise to consider it.

jonnydangerous
03-03-11, 11:24 AM
SF.....give me a shout..... i have a plan.....;-)

Squashed_Fly
03-03-11, 11:26 AM
Will give you a shout in a mo, just on the phone!

Mitch9128
03-03-11, 11:50 AM
Barginous SF, the rest are just the pose mate mostly, look at Akra cans, take the piss, and they are built in some east european slum by farm hands.

jonnydangerous
03-03-11, 01:31 PM
mikey at Torque Technique is a fantastic top bloke, he even gave me a tour of the workshop one day when i talked to him about mendrel bent tubing (whoah, clam down there all you engineers!)....
he really does know his onions......

Dabz
03-03-11, 02:14 PM
as snowy said..worth seeing how it runs after. Mine needed an engine remap to make it run right after the exhaust change

jaagsxr
03-03-11, 03:46 PM
i am using pj engineering @ to mo for an exhaust project and so far they have been good :)

jonnydangerous
03-03-11, 03:51 PM
"big up" to PJ Engineering, they did some rebores for me (and being in an engineering shop i was able to measure the bores afterwards) and they were PERFECT and to the exact dimensions that i asked them to be.....
they even had to make three cuts on one bore to get all of the pitting out, and only charged me for one cut!
good lads :-)

470four
09-03-11, 09:43 PM
Wasnt happy with the silent silencers on my VFR800 VTEC... sounded more like a C70 than an 800cc V4? Not too many "sports" exhausts avaliable either, hardly surprising for a sports tourer? Decided to alter the originals... :) The bike had a bizarre 4 - 1 - 2 system, an extra silencer apparently just for the sake of symmetry under the seat? It ran in common with a lot of bikes a 3-chamber labyrinth baffle system in the cans - the can was divided up into 3 sections along its length,the gases going along a tube from the first into the end section, thro two small tubes into the middle section then finally out the end pipes... (phew)
I cut the side section out of the can so I could cut a section out of the first tube, the gases now able to go througn the first two sections into the last and out! The bike having a cat.converter & an extra can anyway meant the noise would be louder granted - but not excessive... It would certainly breathe a lot easier! Small neat cuts with a stainless steel cutting wheel on a grinder meant that my Uncle could now TIG the side section back on no prob... (has his own welding & fabrication business ;) )
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/DSC03474.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/DSC03488.jpg
http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/DSC03487.jpg
Food for thought... ;)