PDA

View Full Version : VFR FOR A YZF THUNDERCAT

SHREKUSVFR
06-03-11, 10:30 PM
Hi guys just wanted your thoughts on the yamaha yzf600 thundercat as im thinkin of getting one to replace my little vfr400 nc30

squirrel_hunter
06-03-11, 11:14 PM
Thundercats are a good 600 for the money and a good move up from the NC30. It will feel a bit heavier and much bigger but nothing to worry about. The only problem with the 'cat is there can be a problem with second gear resulting in it jumping out of gear. This is often caused by cack handed wheelies so check this out with the owner or on the test ride.

Jon_W
07-03-11, 08:03 AM
Great bikes, same engine as the old Fazer. Very under rated, hence cheap. Not an out and out sports bike, more of a sports tourer in the CBR600 mould.

jonnydangerous
07-03-11, 08:04 AM
'Cat is a good bike, the engines are the last version of the FZR600 motor and have been well refined, they make smooth power, and actually have some mid range (missing in most 600's)....
parts are cheap, and theyre pretty easy to work on.

good bikes, id have one...

Jd :-)

Dabz
07-03-11, 12:33 PM
there's a nice one for sale in george whites at the mo :)

tommyjgraham
07-03-11, 01:01 PM
Thundercats are brilliant. My first big bike. Reliable, very very comfortable, and still fast enough to keep up with the other 600s in general. And there is a very nice blue one in gw now.
Theres a photo of my old baby

stretchie_
07-03-11, 01:28 PM
Thundercats are a good 600 for the money and a good move up from the NC30. It will feel a bit heavier and much bigger but nothing to worry about. The only problem with the 'cat is there can be a problem with second gear resulting in it jumping out of gear. This is often caused by cack handed wheelies so check this out with the owner or on the test ride.

This can be true, I LOVED mine, infact I still love mine, shame it's in bits in the garage. It is a heavy bike but fells well planted when riding and despite what people say it will keep up with the R6's and such of similar era, just maybe not in a straight line. It's all about the nut that connects the handlebars to the seat.

It's a REALLY comfy bike and you can do miles on it without getting fatigued. Only think to let it down is the so-so suspension. The suspension up front and at back is fully adjustable but for £90 you can change the springs in the fron and put some 15w fork oil in, and for the rear you're better off getting an aftermarket shock or looking around and getting one from a different bike fitted (bit of work involved).

But before you do any of that to the suspension, try getting it set up right first, much cheaper than doing all that changing and can make a world of difference to the ride

alanTDM
07-03-11, 05:39 PM
There is a Blue Thundercat for sale £3250 low mileage in Devizes at Richard Stevens Yamaha dealer it was mine,he's had it since 2005,PM me and i'll send you my tel number so i can tell you about the bike.
There rock solid bikes never let me down that one,only grip i got against them was the headlight is crap its not so much the brightness but the spread of the beam from the lens pattern,and need fuel additve in the winter to stop carb icing problem.
The reason he has it is because i part exchanged it for a new YamahaTT600re Enduro

Tobias5571
07-03-11, 06:13 PM
you can change the light situation!
ebay will sell you a HiD kit ;) maybe around 40 squid and you will be able to see as far as the moon. i had one on my old bike!

Tobias5571
07-03-11, 06:14 PM
and what are you doing with your vfr! info please :)

stretchie_
07-03-11, 06:52 PM
There rock solid bikes never let me down that one,only grip i got against them was the headlight is crap its not so much the brightness but the spread of the beam from the lens pattern,and need fuel additve in the winter to stop carb icing problem.

Oh my god, how did I forget about those two.

Yeah, the light's crap and carb icing is a bummer

squirrel_hunter
07-03-11, 09:13 PM
I get carb icing on my SV650 solved it by using higher octane fuel. Did you try that with yours?

Mark_Able
07-03-11, 09:33 PM
There is a Blue Thundercat for sale £3250 low mileage in Devizes at Richard Stevens Yamaha dealer it was mine,he's had it since 2005,PM me and i'll send you my tel number so i can tell you about the bike.
The reason he has it is because i part exchanged it for a new YamahaTT600re Enduro

How much!!! Thundercats shouldn't be over £2.5k, even for a minter. Great bike, by the way... :)

Mark_Able
07-03-11, 09:35 PM
Oh, and my old 2003 'Cat didn't carb ice, ever... :)

alanTDM
08-03-11, 07:33 PM

How much!!! Thundercats shouldn't be over £2.5k, even for a minter. Great bike, by the way... :)
I dont think his website has been updated for quite a long while as i remember a Kawasaki 600 being on there years ago and its still on there listed,I think that price is what he wanted back in 2006/07.
Carb icing had that coming back from Birmingham one night at 1.30 am in March bit cold it was that morning and also going down to Sailsbury a few times on some really frosty mornings

b_m1957
10-03-11, 07:33 AM
Downpipes is the other thing to check if you're getting a t'cat (recommended, by the way!).
They rot right through and are costly to replace.

Clean downpipes and stays in 2nd when you twist the throttle and you've got a good'un ;D

SHREKUSVFR
10-03-11, 10:47 PM
thanks for all your input guys gunna be a great help. The guy wants my vfr to use as a track bike so should be a swap depending on condition of his. i had mine up for sale for a few months as what i really wanted was a fireblade but the offers i was getting i decided to try a diferent approach and some one offered me a a swap on a 98 thundercat in black the photos make it look very clean an tidy but will see when i hopefully go look at it sunday.