PDA

View Full Version : Getting preachy...

Mark_Able
08-03-11, 09:19 PM
I know it might sound preachy, but if anyone reading this knows someone who is just getting their bike out after a winter's break, please remind them to take it easy for a couple of weeks. When you haven't ridden for a while, you lose your skills. It takes a while to adjust. Imagine if you hadn't driven your car for 5 months, it would take a while to feel comfortable with it again. This time of year is when there is a spate of bike accidents, along with the inevitable fatalities and serious injuries. I hate to hear of any accidents, but it's particularly frustrating at this time of year. Have a word with them, before it's too late. :(

redken1
08-03-11, 09:36 PM
Not preachy mate just sound advice. I went on my first ride of the year with WB's a week last Sunday and rode with extra caution. On a few occasions I felt the back end twitching on the greasy roads when exiting the corners. I was in control (I think so) but a reminder of how slippery the roads are and how rusty I was after a lengthy lay-off. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

By the way are you available for Sunday sermons? ;D

CharleyX
08-03-11, 09:42 PM
Great advice [smiley=thumbsup.gif] even after being off the bike for 4 weeks I felt like that.

Nelly
08-03-11, 09:53 PM
I know it might sound preachy, but if anyone reading this knows someone who is just getting their bike out after a winter's break, please remind them to take it easy for a couple of weeks. When you haven't ridden for a while, you lose your skills. It takes a while to adjust. Imagine if you hadn't driven your car for 5 months, it would take a while to feel comfortable with it again. This time of year is when there is a spate of bike accidents, along with the inevitable fatalities and serious injuries. I hate to hear of any accidents, but it's particularly frustrating at this time of year. Have a word with them, before it's too late. :(

Well said Mark [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
08-03-11, 11:27 PM
Had my first ride again today after six months off. Suddenly very aware of how fast bikes go after half a year in my van.

Did the sensible thing and took it easy for the above reason, but also it was the first outing for the bike after a lot of work on it.

Been an accident statistic already, once is enough!

Squashed_Fly
09-03-11, 07:32 AM
Great advice [smiley=thumbsup.gif] even after being off the bike for 4 weeks I felt like that.

Really? I didn't notice it! ;D

Jon_W
09-03-11, 07:51 AM
Too true!!

Dragged the Sv out of hiding yesterday... had forgotten how different it is to ride compared with the GS...

BladeTriple
09-03-11, 07:56 AM
Agreed Mark, since I stopped riding in all kinds of muck I normally take a while to adjust to the bike before opening it up and riding like a tw@t too , it needs time to adjust normally about 10 mins I think until the bikes warmed up ;D Just kidding, after my off I rode all the way to Salisbury rigid and uncomfy every time a car came near me . Referring to your other gripes about PP filtering, who the hell rides like a tool while they can still taste toothpaste first thing in the morning , I'd be too busy using the fresh air to wake me up

Loops
11-03-11, 09:21 PM
I always have a bit of wobble off the driveway even when I've only stopped riding for a week...I hate to think how bad I'd be if I stopped riding over winter ;D

Will be sure to mention it to anyone who mentions getting their bike out again!