PDA

View Full Version : Bad overtaking...

Mark_Able
08-03-11, 08:43 PM
I've got to get it off my chest. It was seeing a Ducati giving it everything from Yarnbrook to Westbury today, that has spawned my latest gripe. Why do certain bikers insist on overtaking when there's on-coming traffic? The gap may be big enough, but should the on-coming vehicle deviate it's line, or the overtakee deviate their line, the afformentioned super hero on his Duc is brown bread. It's not clever. It doesn't impress anyone except the pr*ck who's doing it. It shows no planning, or consideration. It's a brain-out manouevre. If you've misjudged an overtake, that gap is the last resort. And most of the time, waiting for a couple of seconds would be enough to give you a safe opportunity. Sunny day heroes piss me off... >:(

tommyjgraham
08-03-11, 08:49 PM
AGREED!

redken1
08-03-11, 09:01 PM
What really p****s me of Mark is that you can imagine the thoughts of those motorists who have been forced to take evasive action in order to avoid the biker in question. "All bikes should be banned" perhaps. >:(

Just a thought, but perhaps we at Wiltshire Bikers could do more to promote the positive side of biking to redress the balance. The sterling work of The Serv bikers spring to mind.

smellygerm
08-03-11, 09:09 PM
Agree, last year I was overtaken by a blue sv ,I was doin about 60 and he pissed past so fast he couldn't pull the bike back in our lane causing the on coming van to curb, the look on the drivers face said it all :o ,I'm sure it left some stains in his undies

Mark_Able
08-03-11, 09:11 PM
Yep, I totally agree Ken. :)

This time of year, it's always the same. They haven't ridden their bike for the last 5 months, they polish it, fill up with juice, then ride like twats. And it always ends up with someone stuffing it, leaving their loved one's grieving, and everyone else saying 'bikes should be banned'. I hope it doesn't happen, but looking at the evidence, it's just a matter of time... :(

mcicy
09-03-11, 09:12 AM
Agreed, saw a lot of this over the weekend and every time I found myself spewing abuse at the idiot riders

Tobias5571
09-03-11, 10:03 AM
i have to admit i do ride like a twat sometimes! but a safe twat normaly!

Scotty
09-03-11, 12:46 PM
Is that really the sort of admission that you want to make on a public forum, open to viewing by anyone, from the police, to the pissed-off resident from down the road who's been carved up by someone riding like a twat, to a representative from the local "Road Safety Partnership" who's going to make the most of the time he has left before funding cuts to make anyone's life a misery...?
Grow up, don't be a muppet FFS! >:( With such a confession, do you think you'll be welcomed along at a ride-out? ::)

Numpty_Dumpty
09-03-11, 02:30 PM

No such thing as a safe t**t. You either ride like a t**t or you don't.

wiltshire builders
09-03-11, 05:39 PM
Woah woah woah! I'm pretty sure Tobias was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that last comment. We've all ridden with people who ride with......lets call it enthusiasm.
I've ridden with people from this very forum who think nothing of launching the front wheel skywards at any opportunity and doubling the speed limit. I personally don't have a problem with it but I've heard other riders complain about being "cut up" or having someone "riding too close" It's just that they're not used to seeing bikes ridden in that way.

One mans hero is another mans tosser.

Scotty
09-03-11, 06:06 PM
Very true WB, but the more discerning rider will indulge in those pastimes out on the open road, not around traffic in posted speed limits... [smiley=engel017.gif]

Beamer
09-03-11, 06:17 PM
Woah woah woah! I'm pretty sure Tobias was being a bit tongue-in-cheek with that last comment. We've all ridden with people who ride with......lets call it enthusiasm.
I've ridden with people from this very forum who think nothing of launching the front wheel skywards at any opportunity and doubling the speed limit. I personally don't have a problem with it but I've heard other riders complain about being "cut up" or having someone "riding too close" It's just that they're not used to seeing bikes ridden in that way.

well said that man!! Everyone rides (and drives) differently and everyone could and does criticise others. Its a human nature kind of thing........But even the very best riders and drivers can and do get it wrong...no-one is perfect......but if people ride/drive like doughnuts it's only a matter of time before something crappy is gonna happen. Everyone is (or should be) aware of their own ability/ inability and ride/drive accordingly without putting anyone else's safety at risk.... Ive seen strange 'goings-on' on ride-outs but I have to say 99% of the riders on here do take into account when there are inexperienced riders around and leave a safe distance to go past at speed, on one wheel, without holding on, eating a pizza, having a ciggie, rolling a fag, and anything else Ive missed out hehehe.....Tobias some of the riders on here have an awful lot of experience on bike riding...and being knocked off etc.... i guess they just dont want to see the same happen to you.....Its not nice watching someone come off etc so try to not do the twat kinda stuff hehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Squashed_Fly
09-03-11, 06:20 PM
I don't think Scotty was saying don't ride how you ride, but if you are 'naughty' (as I'm sure we all are at times), then don't post obvious references to it in a public forum....

Mitch9128
09-03-11, 06:21 PM
Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone.

One of the things i loved when i first moved to Wiltshoire, was how the car drivers congratulated me on my heroic moves, by tooting their horns, or flashing their lights, such a friendly county!

Gerry
09-03-11, 06:23 PM
One of the things i loved when i first moved to Wiltshoire, was how the car drivers congratulated me on my heroic moves, by tooting their horns, or flashing their lights, such a friendly county!

;D ;D ;D

Beamer
09-03-11, 06:26 PM

Hehehehe...love it ;D ;D

Jimbok4
09-03-11, 06:33 PM
Had some mates that rode like plonkers on the road , then i talked them into a trackday [know where to hide and all that jive ]. They went from the big i am [im soooo fast on the road ] to little pussy cats moaning that people were getting to close to them what a joke.

redken1
09-03-11, 07:18 PM
Interesting to read the wide spectrum of views on what is and what is not acceptable behaviour on our roads. I am of the opinion that smoking whilst behind the wheel is less of a distraction than noisy children in the rear or a nagging passenger. In fact smoking can help to relieve stress when driving in a challenging or difficult environment.

Nooj
09-03-11, 07:28 PM
Depends how much rummaging round in the glove box, jacket on the back seat and passenger footwell the driver's just done to try and find their fag packet and favourite lighter while still trying to drive a car.

Noisy kid distractions are easy to solve, they should be shut in the boot before the journey starts :)

Mitch9128
09-03-11, 07:30 PM
Don't agree Ken, smokers are far more likely to be stressed out gagging for their next hit.

redken1
09-03-11, 07:39 PM
Don't agree Ken, smokers are far more likely to be stressed out gagging for their next hit.

Exactly my point Mitch.

redken1
09-03-11, 07:43 PM
Depends how much rummaging round in the glove box, jacket on the back seat and passenger footwell the driver's just done to try and find their f*g packet and favourite lighter while still trying to drive a car.

Noisy kid distractions are easy to solve, they should be shut in the boot before the journey starts :)

Where do you draw the line? I find it much easier to light a fag than open a tin of 'Travel sweets' Good idea rergarding noisy kids though. ;D

Mitch9128
09-03-11, 07:49 PM
A good pal, rides a 955i now, but had a Trophy for a while. We used to ride home from work, 60 miles+, on the M4 i'd be tucked in, he'd be sat bolt upright, open visor having a fag, screens on them things are like barn doors!!

redken1
09-03-11, 07:56 PM
A good pal, rides a 955i now, but had a Trophy for a while. We used to ride home from work, 60 miles+, on the M4 i'd be tucked in, he'd be sat bolt upright, open visor having a f*g, screens on them things are like barn doors!!

Did he have an ashtray Mitch? ;D

tommyjgraham
09-03-11, 08:48 PM
A good pal, rides a 955i now, but had a Trophy for a while. We used to ride home from work, 60 miles+, on the M4 i'd be tucked in, he'd be sat bolt upright, open visor having a f*g, screens on them things are like barn doors!!

HAha would have been great to see ;D

redken1
09-03-11, 08:55 PM
Tell your mate next time he has a f*g on his bike, not to throw his butt on the road because he will receive a £50 fine. ;D ;D ;D

Mark_Able
09-03-11, 09:05 PM
Had some mates that rode like plonkers on the road , then i talked them into a trackday [know where to hide and all that jive ]. They went from the big i am [im soooo fast on the road ] to little pussy cats moaning that people were getting to close to them what a joke.

Good stuff... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nelly
09-03-11, 09:31 PM
Tell your mate next time he has a f*g on his bike, not to throw his butt on the road because he will receive a £50 fine. ;D ;D ;D

Many years ago, i had a helmet that i drilled a hole in so that i could poke my smoke in there and puff to my hearts content :o

Nooj
10-03-11, 12:44 AM
Unlucky if a wasp scored a direct hit into your fag hole while there was nothing in it (ooh er, missus!)

470four
10-03-11, 08:08 AM
On the subject of overtaking, who is the chap on the blue Rizla Gixxer with a loud can terrorising cars along the B3109 from Corsham - Wooley Green??!
I commuted along this road recently and for the last few months was shown an eye-widening idiotic/lucky/even skillful series of frenzied overtaking along a narrow twisty hilly road subject to large lorries, tractors & buses coming the other way over the white line...
Whoever you are you are a nutjob. ;)

Ducatista
10-03-11, 10:23 AM

I totally agree with this and took the comment from Tobias as meaning he sometimes makes bad decisions.
Well so do I and I suspect we all do from time to time.

If you aren't happy with your riding (and I'm not happy with mine yet and probably never will be) then FFS get some training.
This is life & limb we are talking about. The risks are not just being killed but even worse being paralysed from the neck down or some such.
Riding like a t**t is like playing russian roulette considering what's at stake.

Tobias5571
11-03-11, 09:23 PM

yeah what i mean is if theres no traffic around me on a private road, then i might put the front wheel airwise, or maybe at 2am be a little over usual on a no junction road. :P please dont missunderstand me i am not a intalectual person :P :) (this includes spelling)