PDA

View Full Version : Sv650S

Tobias5571
01-03-11, 10:09 PM
so whats the crack with these sv 650s 's iv been told good and bad alot of people say they are fast and some say they are slow. same again with handing? i think i understand the difference between a noobie and a pro rider but surly there is some medium???? and reliability... issues people issues!!!!!!!! ;)

Tobias5571
01-03-11, 10:11 PM
this is the exact bike i want to buy

Honda_Star
01-03-11, 10:58 PM
From my opinion I thought the sv was great . I owned a 2006 sv sport & loved it. A great ride - I just found it a but of a stretch across the tank as I'm a bit short. If you have not got that issue - it's a great bike and lots of torque :)

Gerry
01-03-11, 11:24 PM
When I first passed my test nearly two years ago I read loads about which might be the best “big” bike for an “at risk” Born Again Biker
The SV650 kept on coming back again and again. Light and nimble, low seat height for girlies & shorties like me and not R1 crash inducing power.

I think it was a great choice for me. I’m not that fussed about being on a fashionable bike and I love the look of them, particularly the faired pre 2001 “curvys (as opposed to the post 2000 “pointies).

They are quick enough to keep up on all but the fastest ride-outs, although I admit, I do envy the way a modern 600 can jump away from bends & roundabouts.

Most of all the noise they make is (to me) brilliant, especially with no baffle after market cans on.

The SV forum / club seem a nice bunch too ;)

G

stretchie_
01-03-11, 11:25 PM
Great bikes, lots of torque as it's a twin and have plenty of engine breaking.

I've never had one but as part of the SV650 forum I've had plenty of exposure to them, funnily enough I've just rebuilt one from the crankshaft up with a mate.

Great for a newbie or a seasoned pro.

Suspension is crap from standard, but you can upgrade it reasonably easily:

Front
Aftermarket springs and heavy fork oil or with a little more effort put a gixxer front end on

Rear
Most bikes have better standard suspension than the SV, it is a budget bike don't forget. Shocks from other bikes (gixxers or ZX6R from certain years) are pretty much a straight swap except you need to cut the battery box to allow for the reservoir at the top of the new shock

So the suspension is an easy, and relatively cheap one to sort.

My mate has a 2000 one (curvy) with Ohlins upfront and at the rear and the annoying bugger can outride most people on 'better' and faster bikes. I'm planning to be at the pub in Gastard tomorrow and he might be coming along, if he is, I'm sure he'll let you have a sit on it and a bounce around.

jonnydangerous
02-03-11, 07:43 AM
everyone ive known with one has been impressed, good bikes....
they will be a lot more forgiving than a "full on" racy 600 supersports, and youll enjoy it a lot more if youre anything short of a trackday god.....

id have one. (and gerry's does sound fantastic)... :-)

Tobias5571
02-03-11, 07:58 AM
Well again guys im impressed at this speed and knowladgable reply! even if i dont look it, i do weigh 15.8 stone (nearly hundred kg) but i dont think this should stop me ;) i'm just worried about my weight effecting the cornering but with the shock change (which sounds like it will have to hoppen) i should be just fine :)

Tobias5571
02-03-11, 08:02 AM
oh yeah! insurance is group 10, and this bike has the viper full system without the db killer in! it has the panel savers, iridium front shield and lots of other littles too, 19k on a 2001 plate. and mint condition. it runs perfectly! its up for 2k but what you all think ?

Jon_W
02-03-11, 08:03 AM
SV650.... great bike. Cheap now as they've been about a bit. Have had mine 8 years and love it to bits... handles brilliantly, goes well, sounds awsome, and isn't too big if that's an issue.

There are two type and two models. The naked n and the faired s. Pre 2003 are the curvy, carburettor ones (Sv X,Y, K1, K2) and after 2003 there are the pointy injection ones (K3 onwards). The gladius replaced the SV650n a few years ago, but the s is still in production. There is the Cagiva Raptor and V Raptor. These are Sv engines and electrics in a much more flashy italian frame and suspension setup with some odd styling. Very rare but not expensive. If you see one well worth a look.

Up to 2003
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/SUZUKI%20SV650N%2099%20%203.jpg
and
http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%20%20A/SUZUKI%20SV650S%2099%20%203.jpg

Post 2003
http://www.sv650.org/gallery/pic23/Suzuki_SV650N_2003_st1mz.jpg
and
http://www.cmsnl.com/news/img/2010-Suzuki-SV650Sa.jpg

Raptor
http://www.bikez.com/pictures/cagiva/2005/21673_0_1_2_raptor%20650_Image%20credits%20-%20Cagiva.jpg
V-Raptor
http://images.fixya.com/C/Cagiva/177x150/2470.jpg

As to opinions, every owner I have spoken to loves their Sv. The build, especially the curvy ones, isn't the best, but no worse than a bandit... There were reports of vibration on the early pointy ones, but I've only ever spoken to one owner who had this and have ridden a frew myself and never had this.

I've had mine eight years and only ever had the oil pressure switch fail! Have never heard of and major reliability issues. They are prone to carb ice though.

The top speed is approx 115mph for the n and 125mph for the s. Not going to set the word alight, but enough, if you need more speak th JHS and they'll fit you up with a few race goodies. The handling is very good, and the bike is comfortable to ride. Then there is the noise...... 8-)

Jon_W
02-03-11, 08:13 AM
Here's mine....

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i36/teleSV650/Sv2.jpg

Si
02-03-11, 09:02 AM
V Twins are great. I ride the SV's ugly sister the TL1000 and the torque is superb. Completely different from my Triple and a 4 cylinder bike but very good fun. I wouldnt worry too much about weight as im 6'2 and 16.5 stone and the SV's I have ridden havent batted an eyelid with me on them. As Gerry says the noise they make with after market cans on is superb. The only thing to watch is the engine breaking as there is so much torque that you can lock the back wheel up if you come down too many gears at once. My TL is fitted with a slipper clutch to stop that happening but not sure the SV's have that, maybe the newer ones did? Best thing to do is get your leg over one and have a go itll certainly put a smile on your face. :D

silly_simon
02-03-11, 03:46 PM
Looks like Motorcycle mania in Frome to me :)
If it is there will most probably be a bit of room for negotiations on that price mate [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Tobias5571
02-03-11, 05:16 PM
all the news is great:P im going to stick with it! and yes it is good guess :P and yeah he will drop it im sure. but i have to trade in my wr to pay for it :( and i wanted to keep it :P

Scotty
02-03-11, 08:26 PM
oh yeah! insurance is group 10, and this bike has the viper full system without the db killer in! it has the panel savers, iridium front shield and lots of other littles too, 19k on a 2001 plate. and mint condition. it runs perfectly! its up for 2k but what you all think ?

Hmmm, that sounds a bit pricey to be honest - if it was totally standard and in mint condition it could be worth it - extras and bolt-on bling very rarely add value to a bike and I'd ask for a dB killer for the exhaust as well, if it's excessively loud it could fail MoTs and get you pulled. Still, if you want it, then go for it and I hope you're very happy with it. :)

Jon_W
03-03-11, 12:49 PM
I agree with Scotty.... that seems pricy for a K1 and the extras don't add value. Ask if they have the oem bits as well... they should thow those in with the sale to.

Morticia
03-03-11, 07:15 PM
so whats the crack with these sv 650s 's iv been told good and bad alot of people say they are fast and some say they are slow. same again with handing? i think i understand the difference between a noobie and a pro rider but surly there is some medium???? and reliability... issues people issues!!!!!!!! ;)

I have an sv and am in utter love with him. I'm using the gixxer at the mo because the sv's tyres are gone and can't afford to replace them. I cannot recommend an sv enough. They are not slow bikes as such,they take a bit longer on the acceleration, so you get there a bit slower, if you see what I mean. Once I put the tyres and wear them in you're more than welcome to try him.

Morticia
03-03-11, 07:16 PM
Well again guys im impressed at this speed and knowladgable reply! even if i dont look it, i do weigh 15.8 stone (nearly hundred kg) but i dont think this should stop me ;) i'm just worried about my weight effecting the cornering but with the shock change (which sounds like it will have to hoppen) i should be just fine :)

The guy that fixes mine is heavier than you, and he managed 110 out of him.

Tobias5571
04-03-11, 10:09 AM
Sold!

Morticia
15-03-11, 06:00 PM
Sold!

You won't regret it!

CallumSM
15-03-11, 07:25 PM
Was thinking of getting an SV650 restricted for my next bike, many thanks for asking many of the questions I myself had Tobias! :)

One more thing I'd like to know if anyone can answer it for me, whats the performance like with a restricted SV650? (acceleration, top speed etc)

Cheers.

Morticia
15-03-11, 07:40 PM
Was thinking of getting an SV650 restricted for my next bike, many thanks for asking many of the questions I myself had Tobias! :)

One more thing I'd like to know if anyone can answer it for me, whats the performance like with a restricted SV650? (acceleration, top speed etc)

Cheers.

No idea, sorry. The boyfriend had a restricted gixxer and it was utter rubbish though...

Morticia
15-03-11, 07:41 PM
Oh, Gladelicious has hers restricted, she might be able to help.

Jon_W
16-03-11, 10:26 AM
Sold!

Good man!!! 8-)

silly_simon
16-03-11, 03:57 PM
Restricted it will be about the 33hp so obviously it is going to have an impact on performance :o

I would hazzard a guess at approx 90-100 mph top speed. No idea of acceleration but a wee bit slower obviously but thats the general idea of a restricted bike in the first place :)

V- Twins ride differently to inline fours etc anyway [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
17-03-11, 07:59 AM
Sv on 33bhp is about 100mph. The impact is that there is stuff all above 6000rpm. Bottom end is pretty much un-affected. Acceleration is still quick enough.