PDA

View Full Version : Close shave

redken1
19-03-11, 07:56 PM
On my way to Carlisle yesterday afternoon I had a close shave. Approx 20 miles south of the M6 I was filtering stationary traffic on the M5. I was travelling at speeds from 20mph to 25 mph between the middle and outside lane and both wheels locked into a rut in the different road surfaces. The middle lane was in a terrible state of disrepair and I could not pull out of the rut due to cars either side. Gave me a scare, but fortunately for me I managed to keep control until I came to a stop. Could not believe that I would come across such a hazard on probably the busiest stretch of road in the UK.

Jacde
19-03-11, 08:13 PM
:o maybe if they sorted out our roads and kept on top of the maintenance of them once and for all we might see a reduction in accidents and fatalities on our roads!!

smellygerm
19-03-11, 08:24 PM
Mate the roads are crap, I've seen three pot holes on the m4 and Chippenham junction roundabout with shreded tyre sticking out . Hit one of those and your a goner :o

Toph
19-03-11, 08:48 PM
apparently Basil can stand up in it and you can't see his toupe !!

YMFB
20-03-11, 08:43 AM
Thats worrying, I have suffered from rutting o the M6 myself but not when filtering, thats because the ruts are normally not near the white lines.

On my ROSPA observed ride yesterday we rode around Amesbury/Devizes/Marlborough/upavon/Pewsey and I think for the first time I can remember the roads in the middle of the county are worse than they are around Salisbury. Marlborough & Upavon were particularly poor.

Road surfaces are not headline news whatever MCN think.

Si
20-03-11, 08:56 AM
I use that stretch quite a bit Ken but in the car and thats bad enough!

Bonnielass
20-03-11, 10:33 AM
Well it is the rutting season!! ;D Be careful out there guys!! >:(

Gerry
20-03-11, 10:45 AM
Well it is the rutting season!! ;D Be careful out there guys!! >:(

Very good Rosie... ;D ;D ;D

Hunar
20-03-11, 12:55 PM
Vote hunar, i'll sort the roads out

Hazel-nut
20-03-11, 01:25 PM
you should see the 'speed bump' outside my house in stoke!when i move in a year and a half ago it was a proper speed bump but now its a slight lump in the road with a gizillion pot holes in and doesnt make anyone slow down!
i understand that the ice and cold weather took its toll on the roads but they need to sort out the main roads at the very least!maybe if there was a fatality because of a pot hole they would take note?!? :-/

Gixxer_Tom
20-03-11, 07:01 PM
1+ vote for Hunar!

Those of you that are Swindon riders have probably seen the crater thats on the top of the slip road of the M4 junc 16 as you head towards Reading/London direction!

its right on the bend and deep/big enough to fit ya bikes front wheel completely in and its deep enough to come half way up your wheel!!

If you dropped into that while cornering at any speed your quite simply a goner!

How the council/Governement get away with taking so much tax for motoring and leaving life threatening potholes all over the place is beyond me!

Dont get me wrong, i do understand theres ALOT of roads in england to sort... But seriously, you Only have one life to loose!

I think they should scrap road tax... and its every man for himself and fair game!! LMFAO. :)

Scotty
22-03-11, 10:11 PM
Whilst they're spending "only in terms of tens of £millions..." sticking their/our noses into Libya's internal affairs, there's even less to spend on repairing the roads.... >:( >:( >:( ::) ::) ::)

redken1
23-03-11, 08:07 PM
Whilst they're spending "only in terms of tens of £millions..." sticking their/our noses into Libya's internal affairs, there's even less to spend on repairing the roads.... >:( >:( >:( ::) ::) ::)

Defence analysts are warning that cost of British involvement in the fight against Libya's Colonel Gaddafi is running into millions of pounds a day. >:( >:( >:(