PDA

View Full Version : Bikes for a restricted liscense?

CallumSM
12-03-11, 03:49 PM
From experience/knowledge.. what would everyone say some of the best bikes are for a restricted liscense?

My dad isn't too keen on the idea of restricting a bigger bike so I guess it would have to be one that's already at the requirement or a little less. I would love a Ninja 250 but it's got to be an affordable bike within 1-2k give or take a few hundred.. which for me is difficult to find one that will look good, be quick(im not looking to be speeding everywhere but I also don't want to be doing 10-20mph more than I do on my 125) and it's got to be bearable for the 2 year restriction..

If anyone has any suggestions, I'm all ears :)

Tobias5571
12-03-11, 05:27 PM
you actualy could find a ninja 250 for around the 1-2k mark i was looking before. but as for much else im not sure for that price without restricting anything that would be nice. i am also looking myself but will be restricting :P

Tobias5571
12-03-11, 05:27 PM
iv been recomended the sv650 alot, try and swey his idea a little :) if not find a 250 sm 4t :)

tommyjgraham
12-03-11, 05:39 PM
thundercat is a good bike. cheap to buy. even cheaper to insure. and looks sporty as well. its a 600 but runs good restricted. i had one for my first bike when i was 17 and it was great. still hit 100ish when restricted.

mcicy
12-03-11, 05:39 PM
I had the CB1 400 for 2 years when I passed my test and loved it

470four
12-03-11, 05:49 PM
From experience/knowledge.. what would everyone say some of the best bikes are for a restricted liscense?

My dad isn't too keen on the idea of restricting a bigger bike so I guess it would have to be one that's already at the requirement or a little less. I would love a Ninja 250 but it's got to be an affordable bike within 1-2k give or take a few hundred.. which for me is difficult to find one that will look good, be quick(im not looking to be speeding everywhere but I also don't want to be doing 10-20mph more than I do on my 125) and it's got to be bearable for the 2 year restriction..

Suzuki Goose?
http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Gallery%2520%2520A/Suzuki%2520Goose%2520350%25201992.jpg&imgrefurl=ht tp://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/model/suzu/suzuki_goose_350.htm&usg=__qYabzWYpJySC5V9gRxkEzo6 rcyw=&h=311&w=450&sz=27&hl=en&start=0&sig2=Ngu6jQT QtjsLnRamicLPHg&zoom=1&tbnid=Ibpz6CNxW0IrYM:&tbnh= 109&tbnw=158&ei=qbF7Tb-CJs6xhQfXtOHyBg&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dsuzuki%2Bgoose%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26s afe%3Doff%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1C1CHIA_en-GBGB393GB393%26biw%3D1366%26bih%3D667%26tbs%3Disch :1&um=1&itbs=1&iact=hc&vpx=602&vpy=75&dur=853&hovh =187&hovw=270&tx=133&ty=104&oei=qbF7Tb-CJs6xhQfXtOHyBg&page=1&ndsp=28&ved=1t:429,r:3,s:0
Quite tidy?

There is a power-to-wieght restriction too!

Motorcycles
Description Category Minimum age
Mopeds with an engine capacity not exceeding 50cc and a maximum design speed not exceeding 50km/h P 16
Light motorcycles with a cubic capacity not exceeding 125cc and a power output not exceeding 11kW (14.6bhp) A1 17
Motorcycles up to 25kW(33bhp) and a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg. Motorcycle combination with a power to weight ratio not exceeding 0.16kW/kg A 17

The Honda CBR400 NC23 Triarm & NC29's make a stunning restricted bike! All the handling you could ever want...

Squashed_Fly
12-03-11, 06:12 PM
If you fancy a sportsbike when you get unrestricted, then you could get an RS125.

Fantastic bikes, will teach you how to handle a sportsbike, without the fear that you have the power to throw you off. If you get a de-restricted one, it will do 110mph and they handle very well. Get a slightly older one, but try and make sure it hasn't been thrashed by some ejut!

Loops
12-03-11, 06:26 PM
I'm interested in knowing this too.

I'm itching for more power, but don't want to go the route of getting a large bike and restricting it - I'd rather buy something smaller like a 250cc that's <33bhp from the off.

Only I don't have a big budget either and I don't know what bikes are available that small - I've seen a Honda something-or-other and a Ninja, anything else I should look out for?

I am however happy to go for an older bike - the current one is 25 years young so anything up to that doesn't phase me ;D

tommyjgraham
12-03-11, 06:29 PM
maybe the best option you could go for is an offroad style bike or supermoto??

Squashed_Fly
12-03-11, 06:33 PM
The advantage of restricting a bigger bike, is that you don't have to then sell it to get a bigger bike when your restriction comes off...

If you were buying something new, you might want it to last you 3 or 4 years so it's worth thinking about doing it, rather than your restriction coming off and and then still feel underpowered...

silly_simon
12-03-11, 06:39 PM
I'm interested in knowing this too.

I'm itching for more power, but don't want to go the route of getting a large bike and restricting it - I'd rather buy something smaller like a 250cc that's >33bhp from the off.

Only I don't have a big budget either and I don't know what bikes are available that small - I've seen a Honda something-or-other and a Ninja, anything else I should look out for?

I am however happy to go for an older bike - the current one is 25 years young so anything up to that doesn't phase me ;D

Nic
I had a Kawasaki Z250 A which is exactly 33bhp :)
Not a young bike by any means mine was a 1980 v plate :D

tommyjgraham
12-03-11, 06:41 PM
The advantage of restricting a bigger bike, is that you don't have to then sell it to get a bigger bike when your restriction comes off...

If you were buying something new, you might want it to last you 3 or 4 years so it's worth thinking about doing it, rather than your restriction coming off and and then still feel underpowered...

Very true. This is what i did with my thundercat. loved it with restrictors in as it was fast and also looked good riding a 600. and loved it even MORE when i turned 19 nd had the restrictors out. a very powerful bike that saves money not havin to get a bigger engine like you would if you have a 250

Mark_Able
12-03-11, 08:35 PM
If you fancy a sportsbike when you get unrestricted, then you could get an RS125.

Fantastic bikes, will teach you how to handle a sportsbike, without the fear that you have the power to throw you off. If you get a de-restricted one, it will do 110mph and they handle very well. Get a slightly older one, but try and make sure it hasn't been thrashed by some ejut!

Sounds great, but not possible I'm afraid. There is a power to weight ratio to take into account. A deristricted RS125 makes good power, but is too light.

If you're into off-roaders, how about a Suzuki DR350? Cheap as chips, and exactly 33bhp. :-?

CallumSM
13-03-11, 08:43 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions so far, a lot of the bikes I like which are <33bhp are rather expensive sadly.. He did say after a long conversation that if I wanted a bigger bike one that already had a restrictor on it would be better than forking out the £££ for a restrictor and fitting.

So what would I be looking at with a bigger bike? (Same terms as above - within budget, reliable, quick enough etc)

Many thanks 8-)

silly_simon
13-03-11, 08:51 PM
Just about anything you wanted within your budget mate :) really depends what you are going to use the bike for [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Jon_W
14-03-11, 08:12 AM
The Suzuki Goose was always the benchmark 33bhp bike. Most of the 250 commuters and the Kawasaki Ninja will suffice.

TBH, I'd restrict a bigger bike, it dosen't cost a fortune and you'll have more choice of machine. The added advantage uis you'll have a big bike at the end and not need to trade a 250 in (which will cost you in deperciation).

Cemorah
14-03-11, 07:28 PM
+1 Jon W HOWEVER

Callum I am assuming you are a man of tender years and insurance can be a major cost.

So before you do anything get some insurance quotes on say an SV650 restricted vs a Ninja 250. You are modifying the bike and we have already seen insurers don't always like that.

Most restrictors are carb inserts which stop the engine revving fully. No rejetting required in most cases, but need to be fitted by a mechanic who can issue a certificate needed by some insurers. Cost about £150 installed. Make sure you get all the originals back.

Top end of your price range but SV650 gives you a good handling all-rounder with proven reliability and brakes and tyres suitable for 72BHP.

When it comes to time to remove the restriction you will not have to learn a totally new bike. and it could be an advantage to have a restrictor kit when it comes to selling it on.

Loops
14-03-11, 07:34 PM
+1 Jon W HOWEVER

Callum I am assuming you are a man of tender years and insurance can be a major cost.

So before you do anything get some insurance quotes on say an SV650 restricted vs a Ninja 250. You are modifying the bike and we have already seen insurers don't always like that.

This is the same reason I'm trying to get something that doesn't need restricting. I drive a modified car and getting reasonable insurance is such a hassle (and adds at least 20% to any quotes) I just want a bike that's totally standard and easy (and cheap) to insure.

I checked with my insurers and they do class it as a modified bike, but couldn't tell me how it would affect a quote (i.e. up because it's modified, or down because it's lower power.)

ro
15-03-11, 02:32 AM
Having been down this route myself, I couldn't see the appeal of restricting a bigger bike. You get the disadvantages (more weight, fuel consumption and tax) and few benefits (maybe better low-down torque on some bikes, but better be careful that's not messed up by the restriction). I'm also not convinced by the "you can take the restrictor off instead of a new bike" argument either. By the time you've been riding 2 years, you'll have a much better idea what you want in a bike and it may well not be what you thought at first (this happened to me). The Ninja 250 in particular has remarkably high resale value, so if you can afford one in the first place, you won't be taking a big loss even if you plan to sell it the moment your restriction expires (which was my plan, though it hasn't quite worked out that way ::) ).

I was very happy with the Ninja 250. Easy to ride, corners superbly, looks good (it was often mistaken for a 600), and still quite sufficiently exciting once you crank the throttle open (in the right gear). ;D

Jon_W
15-03-11, 07:44 AM
+1 Jon W HOWEVER

This is the same reason I'm trying to get something that doesn't need restricting. I drive a modified car and getting reasonable insurance is such a hassle (and adds at least 20% to any quotes) I just want a bike that's totally standard and easy (and cheap) to insure.

I checked with my insurers and they do class it as a modified bike, but couldn't tell me how it would affect a quote (i.e. up because it's modified, or down because it's lower power.)

Insurance shouldn't be too bad. It didn't affect the Sv when I had it restricted.

bobf279
15-03-11, 10:24 PM
We restricted Rob's CB500S just the 2 washers and a carb balance. Has more torque than his 250 had and goes comfortably at legal speed limits. Because it is a bit bigger it is comfy and fuel economy is good even unrestricted. I know it has that extra bit of power as it was my first bike and I rode it unrestricted. Couple of months time and he can try it unrestricted too :)

Morticia
16-03-11, 07:29 AM

The ninja 250 is an awesome bike!

Tobias5571
17-03-11, 09:40 AM
i think its time for someone to take them selves on a few trips around motbike shops for viewings and sittings ;) i will be happy to join you if i am free :)

jonnydangerous
17-03-11, 11:16 AM
during the 90's they did a ZZR250 and it was a really good bit of kit. it was based on the earlier GPX250 (same engine base as the new ninja 250 by the way), and this was a good bike too.
these will EASILY fall within your budget, and have depreciated all they are going to, so youll sell one on at the same money.....if you can find one in the first place....

ZZR250 i rode showed 115 on the clock (dont know what it really did tho, but it was a dam good bike)....

BladeTriple
17-03-11, 11:59 AM
I'd opt for a bigger bike restricted (Hizzy here) I had my first bike a new CBR600 FY 2000 model restricted for the first year and I had to learn to squeeze every ounce of power out of the bike to keep up with mates on bigger bikes , it gave me more ability on the bike so when the restrictor kit came out (accidently early on a service ) I found I was able to use the bike so much easier as the power was there to match the rest of the performance of the bike.

Yeah you pay more tax , use more fuel , but if you want an economy extra then fine make the most of riding a 125/250 but if its about learning to ride and you want a bigger bike with less OOOMPH to begin with go for a 600 and get a restrictor put in it . I'd have my old CBR600 back tomorrow it has to be the best bike I have ever owned , it did everything I wanted 8-)

baxter
17-03-11, 08:51 PM
I had a Yamaha xj6 that was restricted and ran well . I have now got a zx6 restricted which is faster but you will always want more power once you get Goin . Your best bet is to go out look around buy something and if you don't like it sell it and try another .

Bikermouse
18-03-11, 07:47 PM
I had my CBR400 restricted and it was fine, hubby took it out for a spin both before and after the restriction. He still managed to get it up to 100mph - it just took a little while to get there.

I had no issues with insurance with the restrictor kit in, made absolutely no difference to my premiums.

One point I will stress is that if you are meant to have the bike restricted, don't be foolish and not have it done. The consequences won't be in your favour if you have an off and your bike is subsequently dyno tested and you are found not to be complying with your licence. :o

Loops
19-03-11, 01:20 PM
I was over at George Whites today and they happen to have a Ninja 250 in.....

....I had a sit and I think I'm in love 8-) They couldn't let me take it out as it wouldn't be covered on the insurance, they'd have to look at doing some special cover if I wanted to try it before buying.
Felt like sitting astride a cruise liner compared to my CG, but it was a lovely bike! Need to do some thinking.....

CallumSM
19-03-11, 07:30 PM
Many thanks for the replies, I'm seriously considering restricting a SV650 but will have a look at whats around when it comes to it. (Especially want a naked one 8-))

Again, thanks for the suggestions :)

zachl
22-03-11, 08:20 PM
i've got a 2007 sv 650 which i bought a rode for a little while unrestricted, and then heard about a lot of people getting caught so decided to restrict it,

you just a buy a restricted ecu. i bought off a forum member for £50. and you unplug the standard ecu and swap it for this one, really simple.

has the same effect as using a throttle pin, so only noticeably at high revs, you get used to it tho, its just a case of being in a higher gear and using the low down grunt to get you going

so in short, get an sv and restrict it, its light enough, maneuverable enough and cheap enough i would have though

Scotty
22-03-11, 10:04 PM
and then heard about a lot of people getting caught so decided to restrict it....
Really? :-? I must admit that I've never heard of anyone getting done for riding an unrestricted bike on an A2 licence, even when it's blatantly obvious that they are - a few years ago an 18-year old was nicked for riding a CBR400 "in excess of 128mph" on the A38 near Plymouth - there isn't a restricted CBR400 in the country that'll do 128mph so it was staring the Devon & Cornwall traffic plod in the face but they failed to spot it... ::) ::) ::)
Where have you heard about people getting tugged for it then?

Tobias5571
24-03-11, 09:07 AM
they did have a purge a couple of years ago when i was riding a moped! this stripped and dynod my moped and i got caught with a 17bhp moped, that was way over the limit for a 16 year old! 4 other of my friends were caught. was mostly around frome area though........