PDA

View Full Version : Eeeeek!

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 09:59 AM
Have just found out I've been riding with no tax for the last 6 months!

I took it for granted that when I bought the bike it came with at least 6 months tax (stupidly, but then this is the first time I've bought through a dealer and Jens car came with tax when she bought it...)

Realised yesterday that I'd never seen the tax disc for it so called the DVLA and they said it wasn't. And thanks to me being honest, realising my mistake and taxing the vehicle immediately, she said they will probably now issue me with a penalty notice!!! It's obviously much easier to catch people who make genuine mistakes then put them right as soon as they realise than spend time catching people who deliberately do it.

What I don't understand, is how they haven't noticed yet and told me first - I thought all the new avg speed cams and motorway cams were ANPR as well for this reason?

Snowy
25-03-11, 11:58 AM
You can check your tax status on line - anonomously.

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 12:04 PM
They must have known that I had the bike untaxed as apparently it ran out in August last year. They have my address so why didn't they send me a reminder to SORN/tax it if it was a problem.

They sent me the new V5 so they could have sent something with it. It's not their fault or responsibility I know. Just hope they don't send a fine now. Am kicking myself for not looking it up online first and just taxing it without saying anything

Nooj
25-03-11, 01:15 PM
From the last couple of years experience with the DVLA, I don't think they could organise a **** in a pigsty, so this doesn't surprise me. You're just lucky you didn't get pulled by the fuzz!

BB
25-03-11, 01:55 PM
When Ghost came to tax one of his bikes a while back after discovering he was untaxed it turned out there was a typo on the address on the V5 so the renewal had gone to the wrong address!

BB

wiltshire builders
25-03-11, 02:07 PM
When I sold my gsxr, they lost the change of ownership so the bike was still in my name.

Had to phone and write several times to get my name off the V5 but I didn't still have the new owners address. Hopefully he contacted them too.

Not sure what's going on down there but it aint working.

Hazel-nut
25-03-11, 02:10 PM
im still waiting for the v5 for my bike :/ im not sure how long they are supposed to take but its has been 4/5 weeks since the bike was picked up

Dabz
25-03-11, 02:24 PM
6-8 week wait at the mo apparently, or so they told me when I picked the bike up :/

Hazel-nut
25-03-11, 02:37 PM
its a good job you dont need it to tax or insure the bike then :P

Dabz
25-03-11, 02:44 PM
you can tax it without (didn't you noticed the bike was all taxed ready for you? ;) that were me!) and insure it too hehe, the only thing you need the full v5 for is change of ownership I believe. As long as you have the little torn off bit of the V5 you can use that to get tax

Hazel-nut
25-03-11, 03:00 PM
that was my point :P if you needed the v5 to tax and insure i wouldnt be able to ride it for 6-8 weeks after getting it
i am very grateful you taxed it for me :)

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 03:03 PM
Grrrrrrr
Can't get to the post office, tried online and got this message:

Unable to Use Service

Unfortunately, because of the tax class of the vehicle or recent changes to the vehicle record, you are currently unable to apply for a tax disc or declare SORN using this service.

They don't make it easy....

Bornagain
25-03-11, 04:19 PM
Took nearly 2 months for my log book to come through for the CR.....and i couldn't tax it until it came cuz the previous owner didn't have (misplaced!!) the log book so therefore couldn't give me the green slip.....nightmare!!

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 04:53 PM
Ha ha, they are so thick. Jen's just opended her post to find a new tax disc for the car she sold 2 months ago and sent off the slip! New owners are not going to be happy. The womans response when I called her to let them know was 'we won't bother telling them, we'll just wait for them to complain their tax disc hasn't arrived'.

Says it all really

Scotty
25-03-11, 05:45 PM
Engage smug mode... I just taxed my road bike on-line.. :) Annoying that it's gone up by £4 since last year >:(

Snowy
25-03-11, 05:59 PM
+1 so easy on-line. :)

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 07:05 PM
[i]Engage smug mode...

Gotta love a Red Dwarf reference ;)

Gixxer_Tom
25-03-11, 10:08 PM
Just consider it lucky you didn't bin the bike on a rideout, especially envolving another member or a car... because your insurance company sure as hell wudn't care to help you out dude!!

Lesson learn't mate. :)

Its abit like people that dont check bolts on their bike frequently... You'll wish you had when a vital part falls off ya speed! :o

Thomas ;)

R1chie
25-03-11, 10:53 PM
Noticed my bike was out of tax at the end of the month.

Also noticed that the address on the V5 was still at my old address hence no reminders.

Sent off slip on V5 for change of address. 7 days later a new V5 arrived and tax ordered online.

Simples innit

Col
26-03-11, 06:22 AM
bout time road tax and mot were abolished with fuel price as it is...save the planet ,more layers of tosh removed, less for plod/courts, less hassle = happy peeps :)