PDA

View Full Version : Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph?

Mark_Able
02-02-11, 08:33 PM
Who's ready to do their test? I know you've nearly all done your theory tests, so was wondering who is ready to go the rest of the way? We're quiet and could do with the business, so talk to us about a deal on prices and we'll see what we can do... ;)

ro
02-02-11, 09:42 PM
I nominate Vivi! ;) I've been telling her for weeks she should at least do an assessment lesson to see what still needs work - she's certainly done some miles with us to get very comfortable with her 125 on the road.

Hazel-nut
02-02-11, 09:55 PM
i would probably be ok to do the test on a 125 but maybe not until may/june as thats when i finish uni

Beamer
02-02-11, 10:11 PM
im game...but still not sure about whether to do it on my 125 and be restricted or go for the 'biggie' (mainly dependant on me being able to fit on your 500's)... :-/ :-/ :-/ but I think it's time I had a go instead of putting it off ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)

Squashed_Fly
02-02-11, 10:13 PM
Bigger bikes are much easier to ride. The weight increases the stability...

Beamer
02-02-11, 10:14 PM
but im sure i need to be able to reach the floor hehehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Squashed_Fly
02-02-11, 10:15 PM
Nah, don't worry about that! lol

Mark_Able
02-02-11, 10:29 PM
i would probably be ok to do the test on a 125 but maybe not until may/june as thats when i finish uni

Ok cool. You'll need to give us a few weeks notice that time of year. :)

Mark_Able
02-02-11, 10:34 PM
im game...but still not sure about whether to do it on my 125 and be restricted or go for the 'biggie' (mainly dependant on me being able to fit on your 500's)... :-/ :-/ :-/ but I think it's time I had a go instead of putting it off ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::)

Come and have a quick go round the training area at the school on Sunday, if you're free. If you don't fit, we'll talk about the 125 course. Remember, if you do the 125 test, you're only restricted on horsepower (33bhp for two years), not size of bike. And 33bhp is more than double the power of your 125... :)

Toph
02-02-11, 10:36 PM
TBH, i would take my test tomorrow but I'm skint. :(
Christmas, + family holiday to pay for.... + no overtime for months at work... Times are hard :'( :'( :'(
If I could afford it Mark, I would be banging on your door!!! ;D

Mark_Able
02-02-11, 10:40 PM
TBH, i would take my test tomorrow but I'm skint. :(
Christmas, + family holiday to pay for.... + no overtime for months at work... Times are hard :'( :'( :'(
If I could afford it Mark, I would be banging on your door!!! ;D

No joy selling the super cruiser yet then Toph? ::)

Robf
02-02-11, 10:43 PM

Come and have a quick go round the training area at the school on Sunday, if you're free. If you don't fit, we'll talk about the 125 course. Remember, if you do the 125 test, you're only restricted on horsepower (33bhp for two years), not size of bike. And 33bhp is more than double the power of your 125... :)

i can vouch for this, i went from a 125 to a 250 jumping from the roughly 10bhp to 21bhp and that was a huge power difference, in fact when i picked the bike up it was difficult getting used to the power..for the first 30 mins ish then upgraded to a restricted Honda CB 500s restricted to 33bhp and you really notice the small increases in bhp, i've noticed that the lower end acceleration is still there but the top end stuff isn't and in most cases struggles to go to 80+, but upto that it's fine :)

Toph
02-02-11, 10:50 PM
I've taken it off the market Mark, I had a few offers , could have sold it twice, but the wife talked me into keeping it for a month or two,until the family finances are healthier!! If I sell it... I'll have to walk to work, until the test and replacement bike is sorted, maybe the 125 test would be cheaper than DAS??
I could put up with 33bhp for two years for an affordable jump in horsepower. :-?

bobf279
02-02-11, 10:51 PM
but im sure i need to be able to reach the floor hehehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Just get boots with thick soles ;D

Mark_Able
02-02-11, 10:55 PM
I've taken it off the market Mark, I had a few offers , could have sold it twice, but the wife talked me into keeping it for a month or two,until the family finances are healthier!! If I sell it... I'll have to walk to work, until the test and replacement bike is sorted, maybe the 125 test would be cheaper than DAS??
I could put up with 33bhp for two years for an affordable jump in horsepower. :-?

Yep, the 125 route is cheaper, especially if you do it on your own bike. To be eligible, your bike must have a manufacturers stated top speed of 64mph or more.
Let us know when you're ready mate... ;)

Taylor86
02-02-11, 11:11 PM

I can back this up too! I don't notice the lack of power with my restricted Gladius. And I'm sure those that have been on rideouts with me would say the same! :D

Robf
02-02-11, 11:27 PM
O and the 2 year wait won't actually feel like 2 years, I've got about 4 months left on my restriction and the time has literally flown by.

ro
03-02-11, 12:53 AM
Tina and Toph (and anyone else dithering about DAS)—you know what I'd recommend! I was much more comfortable doing the test on my own 125 which I had got to know well by myself over a period of months, rather than the school's 500, which seemed big and heavy by comparison and would have taken several expensive and stressful training days to get used to. The 33bhp limit means little: I'm still learning what my bike can do—by the time I feel I've mastered it and I'm ready for a change the licence restriction will have expired anyway! My 250 is just under the power limit (so there's no need for restriction) and it can out-accelerate most cars and do 3-digit speeds—that may not match the acceleration or top speed of bigger bikes but it goes round corners more easily than them! As a further bonus, tax is £33 and fully comp insurance with breakdown cover is £171. Definitely a good option to consider IMHO.

Jon_W
03-02-11, 07:51 AM

If your at the Harp and Crown, you can try my GS for size. See what ya think. The do have very low seats, lower than some 125's.

BB
03-02-11, 07:54 AM
Go for it guys! 8-)

BB

Scotty
03-02-11, 06:28 PM
If Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph (and probably Anatomiss in the summer) all pass, I think it calls for a......
PARTY!!!!

Anyone agree? :-?

Taylor86
03-02-11, 06:32 PM
If Beamer, Vivi, Hazel-nut, Toph (and probably Anatomiss in the summer) all pass, I think it calls for a......
PARTY!!!!

Hate to break it to ya Scotty, but I think there may already be a party in the summer planned... :P

Loops
03-02-11, 06:38 PM
C'mon all of you, get on and do your tests! The weather is supposed to be mild for the next little while ;)

O and the 2 year wait won't actually feel like 2 years, I've got about 4 months left on my restriction and the time has literally flown by.

I did mine as a restricted licence (on my own CG, which I could throw around with no problems - can I hear you say "0 mistakes on Mod 1, if we'd filmed that it would be put up as a perfect example"? ;) ) and I'm already chomping at the bit to get a bigger bike after only 4 months ::)

DaytonaDog
03-02-11, 07:25 PM
PARTY!!!!

Hate to break it to ya Scotty, but I think there may already be a party in the summer planned... :P

You can never have too many parties. Bring it on. I think we should have another party even if they don't take their tests. Just coz we can!!!!

silly_simon
03-02-11, 07:26 PM
I did my test 11 years ago as a restricted licence and that was mainly due to the cost not age :o

I had a cg125 for about 6 months then got meself a Z250 kawasaki to do the rest of my restriction :)

After that I bought a fazer 600 and haven't looked back since.

You can actually buy all sorts of bikes and have them restricted down to 33bhp which on some models is still well above the national limit 8-)

Taylor86
03-02-11, 07:34 PM
You can actually buy all sorts of bikes and have them restricted down to 33bhp which on some models is still well above the national limit 8-)

I wouldn't know what you mean Simon... I know mine will do 70mph [smiley=engel017.gif]

Beamer
03-02-11, 08:52 PM
Thanks Mark....I shall pop down if i can. Thank you

Scotty, lets just party anyway hehehehe

Thank you everyone for the advice.....you've all given me loads of food for thought. :) :) :) :)

silly_simon
03-02-11, 09:04 PM

I wouldn't know what you mean Simon... I know mine will do 70mph [smiley=engel017.gif]

No of course you wouldn't Jen :P :P

RachaelEllen
03-02-11, 09:51 PM
Here's a bit of motivation...i'm provisionally booked in with Mark for the 25th-27th April, who can beat me to it?! ;D

Roxy
03-02-11, 10:16 PM
Great news Rachel...you will be fine! and hopefully the first!!!!! whoo hoooo

roxy

Toph
03-02-11, 10:42 PM
Mark, can you give me a costing of taking the restricted test using your own bike, this seems like the cheapest option.
I really want to take the test as soon as poss, but with limited funds.

RachaelEllen
03-02-11, 10:54 PM
I knew you'd rise to the bait Toph!

Toph
03-02-11, 11:12 PM
I really need to get it done and dusted Rach!!! He He!!

Caz
03-02-11, 11:25 PM
PARTY!!!!

We can have another party [smiley=beer.gif] :)

Beamer
04-02-11, 06:52 AM
Hey Rachel, thats brilliant news.....you will do fab......WBers needs more young fully fledged biker chicks.....actually will you be the youngest????.....a bucketful of good luck to you Rachel (not that I think you will need it) ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

BB
04-02-11, 07:34 AM
go for it Rachel and good luck :-*

Toph - it aint going to get any easier or cheaper. :-*

BB

Jon_W
04-02-11, 08:03 AM
PARTY!!!!

We can have another party [smiley=beer.gif] :)

Hell yeah!!! :D

Hunar
04-02-11, 08:10 AM
As Robin put forward a good case for the 125 route, and it works well for him, on our last trip out I was the 750 and he wasn't as slow as I thought, but because I am an awkard bastard, I thought I would put forward my case for DAS, my personal choice.

I think it's worth mentioning that just because you take your DAS, it doesn't mean you have to jump straight onto a 2.3ltr rocket III or a Busa, you can go for a 250 or any bike with about 33bhp, but you then get the option to upgrade earlier if you wish rather than having to wait.

I have to say I found riding the 500 much easier than the 125, as soon as I got on the 500 the turn in the road was a piece of cake, so much better to have power on tap, rather than twist the throttle on the 125 and wait 20 secs for the revs to build. It's easier to maintain that power all the way through the manouver as well.

Don't worry about the size of the 500 compared to the 125, they both work pretty much exactly the same way, and it's not having the extra power thats the problem, it's how you use it. I pretty much went from DAS to 1200cc, I did get the usual 'u will kill urself' nonsense from friends and relatives, but it's just that, nonsense. If you are an inexperienced rider, and you jump on a powerful bike and just open it up, yeah you're probably going to do some hedgerow surfing, but then again if you jump on Ro's 250 and just open it up everywhere you stand a good chance of doing the same.

Just because you have the power, you don't HAVE to use it, it's just nice to know you have something in reserve, just ride a big bike like you would a small bike, get used to it first, take ur time it's not a race, I'm certain the way Mark taught you to ride a 125 will work if you jumped on the 500, and that extra power REALLY helps in all aspects, easier hill starts, faster safer overtakes, easier slow manouvers, but what I REALLY notice is I'm not up and down on the gearbox as much when out in the country, my engine only screams when I am making good progress (cough cough) and not all the damn fecking time, and by far the biggest advantage I have found when riding in town (when that extra power is godlike for getting away quickly at a busy junction AFTER you have got used to it) is that the bigger the bike, the less you get bullied.

I have a 750 and a 1200, I get bullied more on the 750, when I am around town, but it's quicker and more agile so escaping is easier, on the 1200 far less people try it on, and it's still narrow enough I can filter if needed.

At the end of the day, if you're a sensible person, you should know when you are confident to use the power, if you're not a sensible person, well, I would have to wonder if it's a good idea you're riding a bike.

Either option, 125 or DAS, I would strongly recomend once you have passed to get an extra 'advanced' lesson from Mark, with some motorway training, personally I think motorway training should be compulsory for EVERY license. I can also recomend getting either an IAM or RoSPA (or both, I don't think you are only allowed to get one or the other) qualification, I've started with IAM (second observed ride tomorrow) and already I've noticed the difference, plus there are added benefits, cheaper insurance, it's not bad for putting on your C.V., makes any newbe pillions you take out more relaxed, but the best benefit, is you can ride a blood bike!

redken1
04-02-11, 05:40 PM
PARTY!!!!

"Is the Pope a catholic?" "Does a Bear sh*t in the woods?"

Let's party all night long! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

bobf279
04-02-11, 07:56 PM
I agree with Hunars position regarding DAS. I had a 125 and after riding it around for 3 weeks made the decision to go DAS. First time I sat on the 500 I wondered how the hell I was going to manage it however after a quick blast from Frome to Warminster services with Mark Able it felt great.

I didn't do too well with the U turn during practice but the test went like a dream and by the way I'm not the tallest at 5'6".

Mark_Able
04-02-11, 08:25 PM
I agree with Hunars position regarding DAS. I had a 125 and after riding it around for 3 weeks made the decision to go DAS. First time I sat on the 500 I wondered how the hell I was going to manage it however after a quick blast from Frome to Warminster services with Mark Able it felt great.

I didn't do too well with the U turn during practice but the test went like a dream and by the way I'm not the tallest at 5'6".

Takes a long time to remove the grin from the first time of opening it up, eh Bob... ;)

bobf279
04-02-11, 08:32 PM
sure does Mark

nobby
05-02-11, 09:18 PM
imo if you are use to your 125 and budget and height are an issue go down the restricted route. once you passed the test and get rid of the L plates who knows wether its restricted or not, lady z went down this route passed 1st time, 1st bike was a gs 500 kept that for a year then bought a kawasaki er6 also kept that for a year, restriction over now riding the z750 full of confidence.(big thanks to ABLE TRAINING). [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Toph
05-02-11, 09:33 PM
I know Nobby, I've ridden on rideouts with her a few times... she rides her z750 very well indeed! :)

Jon_W
07-02-11, 07:52 AM
I took the restricted test and never regretted it. Found the 125 very easy to handle and the 33bhp bikes that followed were plenty quick enough to put a grin on the face. Also I think being on the 125 made me more aware of planning for corners, hills etc, as if you are in the wrong gear on a 125 you get very left behind!!!

Have since ridden the 500 and it's easy to ride, but nothing like as responsive or easy to manouver as the good 'ole CG!

Hazel-nut
07-02-11, 04:46 PM
I really wanna do my test but i think i will definitly be doing the 125 test rather than the das! i need to do something before november coz thats when my cbt runs out :P
im nervous about doing it because i havnt had much experience :-/

BB
07-02-11, 06:07 PM
I'm sure you will be fine Hazel just relax and put your self in Mark Able's hands, he has plenty of experience with nervous women.... :o I think I'll shut up now.... :-X :-[
BB

Jacde
07-02-11, 06:19 PM
I know about them nerves Hazel, happens when we don't get on on the bikes enough.
Go with what ever test you feel comfortable with, but most of all get yourself out on a bike as much as you can, it's the only way you'll build your confidence and experience :)

Loops
07-02-11, 08:20 PM
I'm not sure how many of you have bikes already, but I'd be happy to go for a bit of a girls ride out on 125s and have a slow(er) speed ride about for anyone who feels like they've not been out enough but doesn't want to go out on their own :)

Once the weather is better obviously - I'll not make you ride in the weather I do ;D

Jon_W
08-02-11, 08:02 AM
I'm sure you will be fine Hazel just relax and put your self in Mark Able's hands, he has plenty of experience with nervous women.... :o I think I'll shut up now.... :-X :-[
BB

And the motorcycle tuition isn't bad either....... ;D

Mark_Able
08-02-11, 08:13 PM
BB

I say... (sitting here in silk dressing gown, with initials embroidered on the breast, smoking my pipe, Hugh Hefner stylee)... [smiley=happy.gif]

Beamer
09-02-11, 03:23 PM
Well Im booked and deposit paid....... Hope your 'safe hands' can cope with the 'older' nervous type of females too Mark (I dont want to get above myself by calling myself a lady, Im just me hehehe)
Plus I know you want to keep your pass rate up so it wont be through lack of trying on both our parts if i dont pass hehehehe.....(I'm not holding my breath...well actually i do when doing manouvre's etc lol) hehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I wish you the best of luck Mark hehehe ;D ;D ;D

Hazel-nut
09-02-11, 03:43 PM
good luck tina [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Scaredy_Cat
09-02-11, 06:09 PM
Good luck Tina! :)

redken1
09-02-11, 06:39 PM
Go Tina Go!

Mark_Able
09-02-11, 08:15 PM
No worries Tina, looking forward to getting my hands on you... er, I mean, whispering instructions in your ear... er, I mean, guiding you through the ins and outs... oh, I'll give up now I think... ;D

Toph
09-02-11, 08:18 PM
Soon as I can afford it, I'll be joining you Tina, best of luck !!
ps.. speak to you soon Mark.... you'll get more sense out of me this time, Sunday I was a little ... Ahem... relaxed!!! ;D

Mark_Able
09-02-11, 08:23 PM
ps.. speak to you soon Mark.... you'll get more sense out of me this time, Sunday I was a little ... Ahem... relaxed!!! ;D

;D

You'll have to soon Chris, or you'll be getting left behind. We've now got Rachael, Tina, and Vivi booked in. ;D ;)

Beamer
09-02-11, 09:39 PM

;D

You'll have to soon Chris, or you'll be getting left behind. We've now got Rachael, Tina, and Vivi booked in. ;D ;)

Vivi too??? Thats brilliant news......good luck Vivi and Rach..... woo hoo ;D ;D ;D ;D

Hazel-nut
09-02-11, 10:12 PM
good luck to you all! the only thing i have booked and can afford atm is my theory but i will catch you up eventually :P

Jon_W
11-02-11, 08:03 AM
Well Im booked and deposit paid....... Hope your 'safe hands' can cope with the 'older' nervous type of females too Mark (I dont want to get above myself by calling myself a lady, Im just me hehehe)
Plus I know you want to keep your pass rate up so it wont be through lack of trying on both our parts if i dont pass hehehehe.....(I'm not holding my breath...well actually i do when doing manouvre's etc lol) hehehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
I wish you the best of luck Mark hehehe ;D ;D ;D

Nice one!!! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

One of the best things you'll ever do!

Roxy
10-03-11, 05:43 PM
This has gone quiet....come on update us! Who's first?

Roxy 8-)

Beamer
10-03-11, 06:21 PM

Roxy 8-)

hahaha.... well I failed my Mod 1 on Monday....but Im not ashamed.... I am re-booked to do it again!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Toph
10-03-11, 06:25 PM
My mod1 is next friday!! (18th) :)

Honda_Star
10-03-11, 06:25 PM
ooh Good luck Toph! :)

Toph
10-03-11, 06:27 PM
first training day on the 500 on Saturday... really looking forward to it! :)
Thanks Star! :)

Honda_Star
10-03-11, 06:27 PM

Roxy 8-)

hahaha.... well I failed my Mod 1 on Monday....but Im not ashamed.... I am re-booked to do it again!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Good luck Tina [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Beamer
10-03-11, 06:31 PM
My mod1 is next friday!! (18th) :)

Toph you will sail through my lovely ...good luck (not that you'll need it) and I shall have everything crossed for you :) :) :)

Beamer
10-03-11, 06:31 PM

Roxy 8-)

Good luck Tina [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Bless you...thanks Star :) :) :)

silly_simon
10-03-11, 07:18 PM
Best of Luck Tina, Toph etal :) :) Just remember relax and try and enjoy it ;)

BB
10-03-11, 07:38 PM
Bad luck for last Monday Tina, Fingers crossed for you and Toph [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

I have every confidence in both of you 8-)
BB

redken1
10-03-11, 08:17 PM
Good luck to you both. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Roxy
11-03-11, 04:43 PM
Good Luck for next week Toph, I'm sure you'll walk it mate! Then it's onto the big bikes!! whoo hooo [smiley=thumbup.gif]

Roxy

Loops
11-03-11, 09:36 PM
GOod luck Tina and Toph [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hunar
12-03-11, 02:41 PM
you can do it guys!

have a fun ride!

Jon_W
15-03-11, 07:40 AM
Good luck to ya all!

[smiley=thumbsup.gif]

thepetrolhead91
18-03-11, 07:43 AM
Take some time off Mark and come join me in NZ. Planning a grand tour of the country this Monday the 21st. Hope all is good mate and catch you on here soon!!!

Toph
18-03-11, 05:46 PM
I passed mod 1 today... well chuffed!! :) :)

ro
30-03-11, 09:06 AM
So who's next then?

BB
30-03-11, 01:25 PM
No pressure! :D

BB