PDA

View Full Version : Now that's unlucky

wiltshire builders
29-03-11, 05:17 PM
I'm glad you find it funny Carl, somehow I doubt you'd have laugh if it'd happened to you.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnJdEFigY2I

Harry87
29-03-11, 05:21 PM
Unlucky, but could have happened somewhere else and caused quite a spill. I guess the beads weren't seated properly or were somehow defected? How could that happen!

silly_simon
29-03-11, 05:57 PM
The whole wheel broke where it mounts :o :o

470four
29-03-11, 06:02 PM
Not good! Spokes snapped by the look of it? Carbon wheel or alloy? Anyone?

silly_simon
29-03-11, 06:06 PM
I think it was a Magnesium alloy wheel that after further tests concluded there was a manufacturing flaw resulting in a crack that couldn't be seen just by looking at it :-[

Jacde
29-03-11, 06:17 PM
Watched this live at the weekend, just before the point where this video starts it looked like the bike behind touched the rear wheel, don't know if that would have had an effect.

bobf279
29-03-11, 10:50 PM
definitely different, the commentators reckoned that it isn't uncommon and wheels should be changed at regular intervals.

ro
30-03-11, 09:18 AM
I suppose they thought it seemed funny because it could have been so much worse, but it still seemed odd to hear them laugh over it.

Squashed_Fly
30-03-11, 09:32 AM
I'm guessing they thought it was funny as they're ex racers and they've probably experienced lots of spills like it. The odds are the chap walked away - most do from lowside type spills. Still, I wouldn't have laughed if it were me... I'd have been worried about how to clean the sh17 off the inside of my leathers! ;D

ChrisJo
30-03-11, 12:14 PM
I'm guessing they thought it was funny as they're ex racers and they've probably experienced lots of spills like it. The odds are the chap walked away - most do from lowside type spills. Still, I wouldn't have laughed if it were me... I'd have been worried about how to clean the sh17 off the inside of my leathers! ;D

I think they 'mostly' get up and walk away:

1. because they don't slide into a kerb
2. as above but on comming traffic.

Still a poop scraping experience though....

Squashed_Fly
30-03-11, 12:31 PM
And they're 'ard!

470four
30-03-11, 04:23 PM
And they're 'ard!

Too much information :D

If you look carefully at the start of the vid you can see a saw sticking out of the fairing of the bike behind him? :-?

wiltshire builders
30-03-11, 05:31 PM
I just take exception to a humourless prick like Foggy laughing at someone elses misfortune.

Gerry
30-03-11, 06:00 PM
I just take exception to a humourless prick like Foggy laughing at someone elses misfortune.

Don't we all laugh at others misfortune ? Can't be just me and Foggy ;)

FAIL Blog rules ;D

G

470four
30-03-11, 06:04 PM

FAIL Blog rules ;D

G

Seconded... it was quite funny in a Wacky Races cartoon-stylee kinda fashion to see somebody's rear wheel suddenly fly off! :)

At the end of the day - No Harm Done. ;)

Beamer
30-03-11, 06:23 PM

FAIL Blog rules ;D

G

Everyone laughs at my misfortune...... thing is, Im the first to laugh anyway.....I've learnt thats the best way to deal with the daft stuff I do hehehehe.... In fact I could write a book about my little 'blonde-age' moments hehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gerry
30-03-11, 06:50 PM

FAIL Blog rules ;D

G

Everyone laughs at my misfortune...... thing is, Im the first to laugh anyway.....I've learnt thats the best way to deal with the daft stuff I do hehehehe.... In fact I could write a book about my little 'blonde-age' moments hehe ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

I can see a best seller in the future...

Tina Beamer: My Life in Blondage

I'd buy it ;D

G

SupeRDel
30-03-11, 07:00 PM
My RD400 has an alloy wheels fitted to it. The RD400 was the first production bike to have them fitted. All the munufacturers followed suit.

Alloy wheels have a life expectancy - After a set amount of miles they will suffer metal fatigue and crack. It was always expected a motorcycle would be worn out and scrapped before the wheels needed changing.

Back in the late 70's the BMW's had a series of wheel failure on the autobahns in germany at high speed killing afew riders.

It turned out the wheels on those models were only safe to 20,000 miles

Scotty
30-03-11, 07:33 PM
A Magnesium Alloy race wheel will only have a finite life anyway - we had the occasional failure of Dymags when Endurance racing, nothing catastrophic like that, but fatigue cracks around the root of spokes on the rim. That incident showed one of the drawbacks of single-sided swingarms and the eccentric loads that they subject the wheels to, hence the odd shaped spokes that they need to have...

I agree with Bob the Builder's point though, I'm sure Foggy wouldn't have been laughing had it been his Ducati that had spat him off for that reason.... >:(

Beamer
30-03-11, 08:53 PM

FAIL Blog rules ;D

G

I can see a best seller in the future...

Tina Beamer: My Life in Blondage

I'd buy it ;D

G

Hehehe Gerry.... I'd let you write it too 'cos you have a fab way of wording everything my lovely ...... It could become a Carry-On film hahahaha xxx ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Bornagain
30-03-11, 09:08 PM
My RD400 has an alloy wheels fitted to it. The RD400 was the first production bike to have them fitted. All the munufacturers followed suit.

Alloy wheels have a life expectancy - After a set amount of miles they will suffer metal fatigue and crack. It was always expected a motorcycle would be worn out and scrapped before the wheels needed changing.

Back in the late 70's the BMW's had a series of wheel failure on the autobahns in germany at high speed killing afew riders.

It turned out the wheels on those models were only safe to 20,000 miles

You're a star Del, i'll add that little snippet of info to the list marked "Reasons why i need to change my bike" It'll always come in handy when it comes time to trade in and the boss' giving me the evils ;D ;D