PDA

View Full Version : Bird Stirke!

Nooj
25-03-11, 01:21 PM
Not me, a guy on one of the Aprilia forums. Thought I'd post it up here as a reminder to watch out for pheasants which at this time of year are busy searching for mates and avoiding being shot at.

This was a male, about 1kg, closing speed of 80mph(ish). Most of it's by the roadside, some when through the screen and hit him in the chest, some more is lodged in the air box.

http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/ee310/cuppa_photos/Aprilia/ade4f883.jpg

Bornagain
25-03-11, 05:04 PM
Grubs up!

Si
25-03-11, 05:17 PM
Grubs up!
;D

Si
25-03-11, 05:19 PM
Havent had a pheasant yet but had to duck quite sharpish for a pigeon today! :o

Scotty
25-03-11, 05:19 PM
Ouch! that won't be cheap... :'(

I've had a few bird strikes over the years - first was a sparrow that emulsified itself over the fairing of my Genesis, I had a pigeon hit the left indicator on an EXUP and broke it >:( and a few years ago I had a pigeon hit the carbon knuckles on my left glove at around 120 - fortunately it missed the fairing as it would have made a mess of that, I was unhurt but the left side of my leathers and bike were covered in pigeon purée so I had to stop at the next pub and clean it all off ::) Would you believe that a few miles further on another sodding pigeon hit my shoulder, fortunately bouncing off without exploding - I figured that on that night near Leicester about 6 years ago there was some kind of pigeon jihad going on... ::)

470four
25-03-11, 05:22 PM
Had one hit me in the face last March - riding along approx 60-ish and notice a cock pheasant skitting around near the road, I slowed down and he ran back into the hedge... I got back on the throttle again & as I rode past the first thing I knew was getting smashed in the face by 5lb of gamebird! Broke my visor off so I had to turn around to get it, the pic ensured my insurance paid out for a new lid... :)

Had compression marks all along the chinpiece, was only glad I had my visor down so I didnt get it on the nose etc??!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/DSC03593.jpg

Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate (have you ever seen a hen pheasant as roadkill?) so best beware, eh...

Si
25-03-11, 05:28 PM
Had one hit me in the face last March - riding along approx 60-ish and notice a cock pheasant skitting around near the road, I slowed down and he ran back into the hedge... I got back on the throttle again & as I rode past the first thing I knew was getting smashed in the face by 5lb of gamebird! Broke my visor off so I had to turn around to get it, the pic ensured my insurance paid out for a new lid... :)

Had compression marks all along the chinpiece, was only glad I had my visor down so I didnt get it on the nose etc??!

http://i109.photobucket.com/albums/n61/santav10/DSC03593.jpg

Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate (have you ever seen a hen pheasant as roadkill?) so best beware, eh...

OUCH!!!!!

Beamer
25-03-11, 05:35 PM
Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate

Says it all really doesn't it hahaha....... males (no matter what species) never think with anything but their bits hehehe.....I know, I know....go ahead, hurl the abuse ...I can take it hehehehe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

470four
25-03-11, 07:06 PM
Cock pheasants are notoriously stupid this time of year as they are looking to mate

Says it all really doesn't it hahaha....... males (no matter what species) never think with anything but their bits hehehe.....I know, I know....go ahead, hurl the abuse ...I can take it hehehehe

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Tis the truth! Poisoned by their own dirty water... ;D

Squashed_Fly
25-03-11, 07:09 PM
pigeon jihad

I've heard about this....

http://26.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ldx5w5q0Zb1qd7hayo1_400.jpg

jpssantos
25-03-11, 09:11 PM
I've been hit about 6 times....

first time was on that little bit on your leg, just over your boot and under your kneepad, yes, that's the one, where there's no protection at all besides the leather... lol hurt and bruised!

Then I had one that jumped under the front wheel and sliced itself on the brake discs
one on the front mudguard and wedged between forks and rad
one on my left arm
one on my right arm

and last but not least one right on my face, luckly visor was down and didnt knock me off the bike!

suicide stupid birds... dont bother me much when Im in the defender though lol

Loops
25-03-11, 09:18 PM
suicide stupid birds... dont bother me much when Im in the defender though lol

I still duck even when I'm in the car - get some very alarmed looks from any passengers!

jpssantos
26-03-11, 10:35 PM
hahaha, I do the same in the car, but when driving the defender its like being in a tank lol so for some reason i dont have the duck down reaction

Uber Dave
27-03-11, 11:16 AM
My Dad hit one a few years back on his Moto Guzzi Le Man II and it did a fair amount of damage to that thing which is built like a tank!

Most I have clipped was a lapwing in the shoulder at about 50mph, hurt like hell but and it was only a glancing blow....

Chappers
27-03-11, 07:21 PM
no pheasants to report, but I've only been out five times this month and nearly killed three cats.

one of these day's I'll get one of 'em, can't be trying hard enough! ;D

[only joking all those cat people out there! ;)]

Cemorah
27-03-11, 09:32 PM
Hit a collared dove years ago filled my helmet with so many feathers I couldn't see lucky I was only doing 40 ish

Scotty brilliant memory 6 years ago and you can still remember the time but shouldn't that read 1:20 ;)

470four
02-04-11, 09:12 PM
Have got a new screen in the post for my CBR so sold the old one on ebay a few days ago...

Got this email from the buyer this afternoon:

hi!
you dont have another screen do u?
the screen got to me in perfect condition many thanks!
i fitted the screen and decided to take it for a test run to see what the difference was, i was very impressed, i opened the bike up to about 90mph, now i live in a rural area.......a damn partridge decided to ambush me and smash my lovely new double bubble screen to smithereens and bruise my left shoulder (it was like being hit with a sledgehammer), so, have you got another one i could buy off you that will fit my 400??
cheers!

Now THAT - is Sh!t Luck... :D