PDA

View Full Version : Probation period

Toph
02-04-11, 10:11 PM
As most of you already know, I have recently passed my full bike test.
Since passing I was informed by a friend that I am subject to a probationary period of 2 years, where if I accrue 6 points or more in the next 2 years my licence will be revoked. :o
Call me uninformed, naive even, but I was totally unaware of this until pointed out to me by a friend.
I was talking to a few WB members today and quite a few were too surprised to hear of this.
the immediate question I can think of is ,does this apply to your overall driving licence, ( I have held a full car licence for 34 years) if I say get a sp30 whilst driving my car, does this tally on the 6 point disqualifaction on my bike licence?? :-?
It all seems a little draconian, bearing in mind the expense and heartache involved in getting a full UK motorcycle licence.
Can anyone clarify the grey areas in this?
Discuss peeps!!

bobf279
02-04-11, 10:18 PM
It is only your first licence you can lose if you get 6 points within 2 years. As you already have a car licence you wouldn't lose your bike entitlement if you did get 6 points.

The new drivers act can be viewed here new driver (www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/NewlyQualifiedDrivers/DG_4022566)

"If you have held a full driving licence for two years, the Act doesn’t apply. For example, there isn’t another probation period if you already have a full car licence and pass a test in another category, like lorry (or bike)"

470four
02-04-11, 10:21 PM
This may help?
http://www.visordown.com/forum/forummessages/mps/dt/4/UTN/264532/

From what I gather they will revoke your bike licence, NOT your full car licence, this would of course NOT be part of the probation criteria... ;)

Toph
02-04-11, 10:41 PM
Bear with me folks... ;D
The fact that I have held a full car licence for 34 years means that the probationary period does not apply as a new full bike licence holder?? :-?

470four
02-04-11, 10:46 PM
I think it would do, sorry!

No get-out clause in this one,older does not always mean wiser. Or Slower. :)

bobf279
02-04-11, 10:49 PM
Bear with me folks... ;D
The fact that I have held a full car licence for 34 years means that the probationary period does not apply as a new full bike licence holder?? :-?

Correct, if you read the new drivers act about a third of the way down the page is the text I pasted into my earlier message. The probationary period is for new drivers and their first licence only

Toph
02-04-11, 10:57 PM
Bob.. thanks buddy, it's been playing on my mind ever since my "mate" told me about the probationary period, I thought my bike licence could be taken off me if I got 6 points, the expense and heartache I've been through in the past 3 weeks, I couldn't bear to lose it !! I love biking too much!!
good to see you today bud... see you again soon!! :)

bobf279
02-04-11, 10:59 PM
Your welcome and it was good to see you with such a wide smile enjoying Jordan and the banter :)

bobf279
02-04-11, 11:07 PM
Read the act I posted a link in my post, you are most definitely NOT

Gerry
02-04-11, 11:09 PM
So is that a No Bob ;D

:-?

bobf279
02-04-11, 11:11 PM
;D ;D ;D

Toph
02-04-11, 11:15 PM
Sorry to be a pussy on this guys, my bike licence means everything to me, couldn't bear to lose it!! ;D
thank you all for your patience an informative posts!! ;) :) :) :)

Jon_W
04-04-11, 08:08 AM
Best thing to do is not to accrue 6 points in the next 2 years... :P

;)

Jon_W
04-04-11, 08:10 AM
And reading the web, I agree with Bob, it does NOT apply to you.

Demonbaker
04-04-11, 11:48 AM
All the reply's telling you not to worry are correct. As you don't really have a new bike licence. All you have now is an entitlement to ride a bike on your existing license that you gained years ago.

silly_simon
04-04-11, 12:16 PM
Toph,
I stand corrected mate :-[ and if It was me who worried you buddy then I apologise for that :)

Things must have changed since I passed my lorry test :o As I was told if I accrued to many points in the following two years I would lose it :(

Typical of the authorities changing things i guess :-?

Mark_Able
04-04-11, 04:03 PM
Toph,
I stand corrected mate :-[ and if It was me who worried you buddy then I apologise for that :)

Things must have changed since I passed my lorry test :o As I was told if I accrued to many points in the following two years I would lose it :(

Scare-mongerer... ;D

Toph
04-04-11, 05:45 PM
Toph,

It wasn't you Si, who put the fear of god into me!!! It was one of my workmates!! :)

silly_simon
04-04-11, 06:31 PM
"PHEW" Thank god for that ;D

Mark :P :P :P

bobf279
04-04-11, 09:05 PM
Best thing to do is not to accrue 6 points in the next 2 years... :P

;)

Agreed

Toph
04-04-11, 10:34 PM
I have never accrued 6 points on my licence in 35 years of driving, but It only takes a gatso camera or one of those nice little white vans with the little black window in the back! ;D,
Hand on heart, can anyone honestly say that , on rare occasions, they never stray slightly over the speed limit?? :-[ we all try to be responsible and safe, but you only need to be in the wrong place at the wrong time.
ride safe everyone!! :) :)

470four
04-04-11, 10:36 PM
I vote you swap bikes with Beamer for two years. :D :D

BB
05-04-11, 01:44 PM
Easy enough to pick up points, a certain person (no not me!) managed to collect 6 points inside of 10 days last year, which as he already had 3 points is already having an effect on his insurance! :'(

BB