PDA

View Full Version : Taking it on the chin......... literally!

Nokesy
07-04-11, 08:39 AM
Well, yesterday, i was really looking forward to my sunny ride to Bridgwater but sadly didn't make it out of Trowbridge :) Had an off, fortunately just down the road from Tina's work place so big thankyou to you Tina and Margo once again :)

Basically, riding along normal speed, car in front stopped at mini roundabout waiting to turn right, saw this (obviously!), went to apply brake to slow down, hand wouldn't work! OK, tried again, still hand wouldn't work!! By now, bearing in mind my speed is still about 30mph and the car is still stationary, things are getting a bit desperate, otherwise I am going to ride straight into the back of the car :( Somehow grabbed a handful and you probably know the rest ....... locked the front wheet and it spat me off :(

My chin took it's fair share of the landing but luckily I had my neckwarmer around it which prevented losing any skin - is just sore, red and scabby now!! I'm sure you can all have a good laugh at me on Sunday, although it's much better today to yesterday so might have healed by then! :P

As to why my hand didn't work .... who knows! My best guess at the moment is a very gruelling early morning personal training session that comprised of alot of push-ups and body weight / dumbells on hands / wrists .... so the moral is.... exercise is bad for you!!! ;D

The bike has a few cosmetics to sort out, mainly on top of the ones from my off last year as bike went down in exactly the same way! As it was happening I was thinking 'I've been here before!!' ;D

So all ends well and I'm looking forward to riding with you all on Sunday and hopefully completing the whole day without falling off or getting lost! ;D

Dabz
07-04-11, 08:43 AM
glad to hear you're ok Gemma, never nice to have a tumble! If I ever needed an excuse not to exercise before work, you're now it :P

RedSoul
07-04-11, 08:52 AM
Glad it was nothing serious and like the fact that exercise is bad for you as i have only yesterday cancelled my direct debit for the gym(feel alot better now lol).Was mainly into cardio-vascular stuff anyway and this time of year running and cycling are much more fun outdoors.

spudgun
07-04-11, 08:58 AM
Ouch, GWS

Last Train
07-04-11, 09:02 AM
Ouch, pleased you're OK

:)

Squashed_Fly
07-04-11, 09:12 AM
Not good - I'm just about to join a gym... Might have to think twice now! :)

Hope it heals soon
x

Basher
07-04-11, 09:17 AM
Glad your ok Miss Nokesy 8-) x

Snowy
07-04-11, 09:39 AM
Blimey Gemma - glad you're OK though. Have you checked your brake to make sure it is actually working properly and it's not your hand causing the problem?

Jacde
07-04-11, 10:06 AM
Ouch :( glad to know you're ok chick and there's no major damage to your bike :)

You say exercise is bad for us, oh bugger! what am I going to do about Kenya?? ;D

jonnydangerous
07-04-11, 10:11 AM
not good gemma :-(
if your helmet had a significant impact you might have to replace it?...
glad all worked out ok, that sounds like you got away with it lightly compaired to how it may have been...

glad to see it hasnt put you off, and that youll be out on the rideout sunday, thats the spirit :-)

Nico_babe
07-04-11, 10:13 AM
Oh dear!! Well im just glad that you were not badly hurt. xxx

470four
07-04-11, 10:22 AM
Glad you're ok!

Next time use the back brake (small pedal in front of the righthand footrest) :D :D or hit the kill switch? Bike will then stall in gear (as long as the clutch is out...)

Best get a full-face helmet by the sound of it! ;)

Squashed_Fly
07-04-11, 11:03 AM
Glad you're ok!

Next time use the back brake (small pedal in front of the righthand footrest) :D :D or hit the kill switch? Bike will then stall in gear (as long as the clutch is out...)

Best get a full-face helmet by the sound of it! ;)

Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.... But apparently the highest form of intelligence! ;D

470four
07-04-11, 11:24 AM
YARP! :)

Jon_W
07-04-11, 11:50 AM
Oh. Not good.

Glad to see your not put off.

jaagsxr
07-04-11, 11:55 AM
hi gemma i am glad you are ok and if you want the bike ....and chin looked over ...just ask?/(although i know nothin about chins :-[)

Chappers
07-04-11, 12:09 PM
can't have been a pleasant experience, but I love your attitude and glad you've ended up ok gemma! :)

kill switch kill switch kill switch :D

Nelly
07-04-11, 12:10 PM
Hope your ok Gemma. Take it easy now x

Caz
07-04-11, 12:36 PM
Sorry to hear about your accident Gemma but really glad that you are ok :)

Hazel-nut
07-04-11, 12:40 PM
sorry to hear you came off but glad it hasnt put you off!

Blackandchrome
07-04-11, 12:54 PM
Good to hear you are OK.
Bet you have a lot of "followers" on Sunday ;)

BB
07-04-11, 12:59 PM
Good to hear it wasn't too serious.
Fancy forgetting the back brake! :P

BB

HensonA
07-04-11, 01:17 PM
So all ends well and I'm looking forward to riding with you all on Sunday and hopefully completing the whole day without falling off or getting lost! ;D

Nokesy to lead on Sunday !!!! ;)

Beamer
07-04-11, 04:39 PM
Glad you were ok Gemma......such a coincidence.....hehe..... margo ringing and saying some girl on a bike had come off ...and you figuring out it was me she was speaking to.....weird lol....still got me out of my meeting for 20 mins hehe xxxx ......Margo sends her love too :) :) :) :)

Sean.C
07-04-11, 05:09 PM
Glad your ok and it wasn't as bad as it could of been .

Harry87
07-04-11, 07:56 PM
Chin up girl, at least the bike only has cosmetic damage. Good to see you taking it all on the chin and coming along Sunday. *Hug*

redken1
07-04-11, 08:38 PM
You are right Gemma exercise is bad for you , but so is falling off your bike. Seriously though, glad you are ok and look forward to catching up with you soon.

Roxy
07-04-11, 10:06 PM
Ouch, sorry to hear that Gemma. It's easy to think of what you should have done after the event but I am glad you are ok. GWS

Roxy x

bobf279
07-04-11, 10:46 PM
glad you are ok and no lasting damage

Toph
07-04-11, 10:52 PM
Get well soon Gemma, glad you're OK, Take care!! :-* :)

470four
08-04-11, 11:25 AM
Sounds like it may be Carpal Tunnel Syndrome? I would definetly recommend seeing your Doctor about this as:

A) Its very treatable - your hand "grip" nerves run through a hole in your wrist bones, with overuse they swell up and cut themselves off ( a small operation commonly used by Motocrossers & other off-road riders will cure this outright & is available on the NHS :) )

B) The thought of you coming up to a busy roundabout at speed and finding out you yet again have a zombie hand will Not Be Pretty... :( :o

C) If you do a LOT of Gym-work then PLEASE take the car...

Glad you're ok but this needs to be sorted ;)

Scotty
08-04-11, 01:02 PM
Hmmm, bit of a pattern developing here - maybe we should have a whip-round to get you one of those inflatable sumo-suits.... ::) ::) ::) ;)

You've got the right attitude though, get back on and keep riding, good for you! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]