PDA

View Full Version : Help! New mod gone wrong!

Clulas
01-04-11, 06:18 PM
Hey guys, I've got a 91 NC30 and wanted to get more performance. I was recommended to decoke and port and polish the intake and exhaust. We found out they used abrasive material to do it like gritty sand. So I got with my friend that tunes Suzuki's and we decided to try it ourselves. We got a bag of sandblasting sand and hooked up into the intake and started the bike. We had to hold the throttle on almost full so it would run. He wanted to let the engine suck in the sand through the intake so it would port it out and then push it out the ehxaust so it would port the exhaust manifold.
I was worried that it might cause problems but he figured it'd be OK. After running the bike and letting it suck in sand we got about half way through a 12kg bag. The check engine light was on and the engine was bucking and kicking and sounding really weird. We stopped and hooked the bike back up normal and took off the sand supply. We tried to start it again and it was really hard. Once started it couldn't idle and kept making weird noises. I took it out and drove it and it started to make scraping and knocking noises.
Help! Can anyone tell me what to do! My mate only does Suzuki's so he doesn't know much about Honda's.

Do I need to take the exhaust off to get the sand out?

J2O
01-04-11, 06:26 PM
April Fools day per chance?
Similar story here!? Seen it before...

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f19/omg-audi-owner-tries-port-polish-intake-sucking-sand-into-engine-58268/

Moo
01-04-11, 06:26 PM
Is this another April Fool or just a plain one?

470four
01-04-11, 06:37 PM
Sounds like your jets may be blocked in your carbs? If you slacken the float bowl screws off you can hoover the contaminated petrol out without having to remove them?

Loops
01-04-11, 06:52 PM
You should have got it in before 12 for April Fools ;D

If it's not an april fool, then I have very very bad news for you....... ::)

470four
01-04-11, 09:45 PM
You may have had some contaminated sand? Wash the engine out by running a hose into your carburettor, crank the motor over on the starter and that should flush it through. All the oil inside the engine should stop it going rusty.

jonnydangerous
04-04-11, 07:57 AM
Actually, the general idea is correct, Extrude Honing is a good way of upping flow levels.....and thats not an april fool :-)

Clulas
04-04-11, 09:03 PM
I flushed the engine bit out but it still didnt start so I called my mate and he said it must be flooded so I turned the bike upside down to get the water out which worked but some bike juice came out as well & I didnt know what it was so I licked it & it was petrol but thats ok as petrol was given to us by the dinosaurs which was kind of them & it must be proper old petrol if they were using it in their cars?
I noticed my back tyre was low on tread while the bike was upside down so I got a file and gave it some more which is safe coz lorries do it! :)

Snowy
04-04-11, 09:12 PM
Muppet forum I think.... Mods? ;D ;D

Moo
04-04-11, 09:13 PM
I think its time for Clulas to reveal their true identity!!

bobf279
04-04-11, 09:14 PM
clulas......clue

Gixxer_Tom
06-04-11, 10:24 PM
Hahahaha....

All im gonna say is i don't know who your Suzuki Tuning friend is... but after reading that i fear for my suzuki's life, should it fall into his hands!!

please tell me he dosn't work in a local bike shop! lol! :)

The only thing about that story that didn't make me cringe was jaydee approving it!!

But then i thought about the other things i've heard Jaydee suggest and im assuming he's forgot to take his medication!

lol

Thomas ;)

Squashed_Fly
07-04-11, 09:50 AM
The problem with all that sand, is it'll loop up through the grub nuts, and attack the St Elmos Trenchpipe.

jonnydangerous
07-04-11, 09:51 AM
honest! extrude honing is smart :-)

Moo
07-04-11, 05:16 PM
Nothing wrong with the theory but the method leaves a bit to be desired.

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Abrasive flow machining (AFM), also known as extrude honing,[1] is a method of smoothing and polishing internal surfaces and producing controlled radii. A one-way or two-way flow of an abrasive media is extruded through a workpiece, smoothing and finishing rough surfaces. One-way systems flow the media through the workpiece, then it exits from the part. In two-way flow, two vertically opposed cylinders flow the abrasive media back and forth.[2] The process was first patented by the Extrude Hone Corporation in 1970.[3]

The process is particularly useful for difficult to reach internal passages, bends, cavities, and edges. Particular advantages are the directional finishes produced, which optimize the flow coefficient of certain workpieces, and the perfectly-formed, tangentially-blended radii formed on edges, which improves high- and low-cycle fatigue strength of certain workpieces.

Squashed_Fly
07-04-11, 05:57 PM
I see my Bill Bailey humour was wasted! lol ;D ;D

Clulas
08-04-11, 01:36 PM
Hahahaha....

All im gonna say is i don't know who your Suzuki Tuning friend is... but after reading that i fear for my suzuki's life, should it fall into his hands!!

please tell me he dosn't work in a local bike shop! lol! :)

The only thing about that story that didn't make me cringe was jaydee approving it!!

But then i thought about the other things i've heard Jaydee suggest and im assuming he's forgot to take his medication!

lol

Thomas ;)

I may not be proper clever like some peoples are but I know not to turn up for a wet rideout in March wearing all my spangly white leathers & booties like Im sum frickin washing powder advert! :D :D

I still not got the bike going, tried drying out the carburetoretors with a blow-torch but no joy? have left the bike in the sun for a bit so that might work we'll see.

I tried polishing my frame like you see in the magazines coz that must be good for sum more break whorespower but Pledge didnt work so I called my mate and picked his brane and he said use some wet and dry so I got some water but all it did was make the dustcloth all soggy and no good and the polish ran off so I called him again and he said no you idiot child (was was harsh) you need some sandypaper and I said no you is a buffoon coz that will scratch my bike so i had another look in the kitchen and found some tinfoil so now I have a shiny frame & wheels & tyres & mirrors and indicators and stuff which is good! See look sometimes I does dead good stuff! :)

Moo
08-04-11, 03:05 PM
jaa? or maybe Scotty? :o

Scotty
08-04-11, 03:51 PM
Sorry Moo, leave me out of this one.... ::) ::) ::)

R1chie
08-04-11, 03:56 PM

Nope. Neither.

Might just ban this said person for having 2 accounts on here. Something to do innit

470four
12-04-11, 06:45 PM
I vote for the return of Clulas and his merry japes!

Cut & paste:

470four

R1chie
12-04-11, 06:52 PM
Strange that...seeing that Clulas is you

470four
12-04-11, 07:18 PM
No need for derogatory comments! :D