PDA

View Full Version : Any good bike training schools in Reading?

Nico_babe
08-04-11, 07:02 PM
Hi all,

I have a friend who is based in Reading who is looking to do her CBT. Does anyone have any school recommendations for that area?

Thanks

:D

Beamer
08-04-11, 09:21 PM
Sorry nicky but I can only recommend our very own Mark Able......thats the only one I know of...and to be honest he's the only one Id use (hes got the patience of a saint....and needs it with some of his students hehe ::) ::) )....just too far to travel which is a shame :-/ :-/

Nooj
08-04-11, 11:21 PM
Bike2Bike are good. Steve got the Missus through her DAS a few years ago. Passed first time.

http://www.bike2bike.net/

Actually based in Thatcham, but they cover Reading.

jpssantos
09-04-11, 08:00 PM
I did my test when I was living in Reading and used Lightning Motorcycle... at the time, 7 years ago, they were brilliant and a right laugh...

since then I've heard they change instructors quite often and its crap... but this was about 2 years ago, might have changed now.
worth looking at though... they use the Rivermead centre car parks to do the training.

Kes123
11-04-11, 06:55 AM
MOTAG have a site in Reading

http://www.motag.com/

Nooj
11-04-11, 07:09 PM
Aren't Motag supposed to be universally crap? I went with them and was given the bare minimum training to pass my CBT, certainly didn't feel like I was qualified to be on the road afterwards! Sort of the bike version of BSM, massive company only interested in pass rates rather than proper training? May be different by now of course.

Mark_Able
12-04-11, 08:40 PM
Aren't Motag supposed to be universally crap? I went with them and was given the bare minimum training to pass my CBT, certainly didn't feel like I was qualified to be on the road afterwards! Sort of the bike version of BSM, massive company only interested in pass rates rather than proper training? May be different by now of course.

I'm not one to put the competitors down, but I would recommend ANYONE ELSE... ::)

Nooj
13-04-11, 10:25 AM
I'm not one to put the competitors down

I don't like saying it, but inadequate training on a bike could be life threatening. As I say though, they may have changed, it was 11 years ago when I did my CBT.

Mark_Able
13-04-11, 08:57 PM
I'm not one to put the competitors down

I don't like saying it, but inadequate training on a bike could be life threatening. As I say though, they may have changed, it was 11 years ago when I did my CBT.

They haven't. I overheard the instructor in Trowbridge giving some final words of advice before he took his test, ''in town, change direction like in the film 'Tron''. WTF? :-?

Nooj
13-04-11, 10:48 PM
Mmmmm. Sound advice. :-X

pob06
15-04-11, 12:43 PM
Hi there, I used Lightning and they were ok - depends on instructor, some are great couple not so (personalities and character matches IYSWIM), but there is a place out towards Maidenhead and there was a local guy who was apparently good (if its still going) - will try to get info for you. Pob

pob06
15-04-11, 01:46 PM
Sorry, apparently the guy has retired, and the rest used lightning, they are still based out of rivermead iirc, they also had a lady instructor on the books if that helps. I know a couple in the uni mc club just behind me so I'll ask if they use anyone else.