PDA

View Full Version : Free petrol!

470four
12-04-11, 06:42 PM
Right.

Now I've got your attention, I need a little help & guidance... :D

Tomorrow (Wednesday) Im off to sunny Wales to view a motorcycle & see if it meets my wants & needs? If it does - and I'm 99.27% sure it will - it will need picking up at a later date... I'm off now until Saturday night (7pm til 7am) & Sunday night the same.

Options:

A) Get a lift out and ride it back from Newport - potentially quite fun, allowing for weather conditions, acts of God & breakdowns etc...

B) Find someone with a van/bike trailer & offer them £Sterling & alcohol to drive out with me & liberate said beast.

C) Get the train out & ride the bike back - would incur a large taxi fee to get to that part of the Valleys...

D) Bribe the seller to ride the bike out to me in Trowbridge, I could give him a lift back?

All dependant of course on whether I actually get the bike or not? Im inclinded to go for option B at the mo, would be the safest given what looks to be a wet couple of days & never having ridden the bike before?

Anyone? ;) :)

R1chie
12-04-11, 06:54 PM
Maybe Clulas will help you out.

Oh.....hold on.... ;)

Caz
12-04-11, 09:35 PM
Have a look at the bike first and then if you decide you are going to buy it then weigh up your options as i need several days to make up my mind ;D

BB
12-04-11, 10:12 PM
Is it a Ducati? ::)

BB

njl
13-04-11, 08:18 AM
I'd say B is your least risky. I've taken the train to Northampton before to get a £500 ebayer car but with bikes always go with a van.

I usually get a rental transit for a day for about £40, then scrounge round for a ramp.

If you want to option A i'm free tomorrow.

470four
13-04-11, 08:28 AM
I'll give Williams a call and see how much I can rent a van for?

Anyone have a loading ramp handy? :)

EDIT: £55 + diesel for a hi-top transit... will need a ramp + ratchet straps.

Kevinb
13-04-11, 08:39 AM
Get a lift or the train and ride it back. When we got my wife's bike we bought it from a chap just outside Cardiff and I rode it back. It's a CM250 and those who know me will know how funny it must have looked with a 300lb 6'5" monster on it.

njl
13-04-11, 09:00 AM
has it been used daily or sat laid up for months? If the latter I would still be cautious of a ride home on it. Though if you are viewing today give it a damn good going over (of yourse you will be anyway), you'd not want to be running back from wales with a binding brake caliper or knackered chain...or...or..!

470four
13-04-11, 09:14 AM
Has been ridden recently, am taking a checklist, an open mind & front & rear paddock stands... ;)

Is 57 miles back home which to be fair is +/- your average rideout? I have good breakdown cover so if it does all go wrong Im good, just stand to get wet. :-/

BB
13-04-11, 10:05 AM
Ghost & I did 100 miles 2 up on the triple to look at a bike on Sunday. He wanted to ride it back but we couldn't complete the deal on the day so he's going back tomorrow. It is a minter tho'.

The guy that brought my Duke came down from London by train, walked round it a couple of times, did the deal and rode off to Birmingham knowing full well the belts are overdue for change and the furthest it had gone since Nooj cleaned it at the PB last year was across Trowbridge! :o The confidence of youth! (He did txt to say he got home ok)

BB

Hazel-nut
13-04-11, 10:23 AM
Ghost & I did 100 miles 2 up on the triple to look at a bike on Sunday. He wanted to ride it back but we couldn't complete the deal on the day so he's going back tomorrow. It is a minter tho'.

BB

we were wondering why you were both on the same bike :P

Jon_W
13-04-11, 10:27 AM
The guy who bought my mini, drove down from Chester, got to my place at 9pm, walked the car in the dark, handed over the cash, did the paperwork then drove it back to Chester!!

That's confidence!!!

57 miles isn't too bad as a return. If you have breakdown, then the worse that can happen is it takes a little longer than anticipated.

Treat is as an adventure!!!!! :D

470four
13-04-11, 11:11 AM
Looking on Bing there is a railway station just around the corner from his workplace (where the bike is at the mo...) 2h 44m train journey with one change at Cardiff... :)

£17.90 - hectic but would mean no bridge toll fare or return fuel costs?

Weather looking average at the mo, I used to ride Downhill MTB a lot in this part of Wales & sho'nuff, as soon as you cross that bridge the clouds turn grey and it starts to rain, the place has its own little ecoclimate going on... :D

Giggling your FAO on a new big bike will happen dry or wet tho, lol!

njl
13-04-11, 11:26 AM
Yeah didn't factor in the 15 quid or so to drive a van over a bridge!

470four
13-04-11, 11:36 AM
Yeah didn't factor in the 15 quid or so to drive a van over a bridge!

Indeed! The car will cost me £5.70 this afternoon in toll fares... :(

Could take the bike as this would be free, but the weather looks sh!t and motorways bore the hell out of me in a car, never mind a bike... ::)

470four
13-04-11, 11:37 AM

BB

(Maybe) :)

BB
13-04-11, 01:43 PM

BB

I miss my Duke already, I'm taking the tablets tho to help with the stress of selling a bike :( I don't often sell a bike... :P

BB

470four
13-04-11, 02:33 PM

BB

I miss my Duke already, I'm taking the tablets tho to help with the stress of selling a bike :( I don't often sell a bike... :P

BB

I dont make a habit of it TBH? Had the Four for nearly 22 years & it remains firmly Not For Sale... My CBR400RR will be up for sale pending the purchase of said bike tonight tho & I've had that for nearly two years? :-/

Squashed_Fly
13-04-11, 04:55 PM
Go pillion on someones bike (offer them beer & pizza hut lunch in return!).

I'm doing that tonight - going up to Brum with Rossio, then riding his bike back so he can drive his new car home...

BB
13-04-11, 05:19 PM
Just realised I've had my T100 for 28 years :o

BB

redken1
13-04-11, 05:28 PM

BB

Nearly as long as Iv'e had my wife - must be love Judy ;D

Cemorah
13-04-11, 08:05 PM
I am going to Wales around late morning Tomorrow. If you want a lift I am going to Merthyr for around lunchtime you need to be in Bristol for 10-11am. Pm me if interested

470four
13-04-11, 09:30 PM
I've got a new bike. :) 8-) :) 8-) :) 8-) :) 8-)

470four
14-04-11, 09:09 AM
I am going to Wales around late morning Tomorrow. If you want a lift I am going to Merthyr for around lunchtime you need to be in Bristol for 10-11am. Pm me if interested

Am looking to travel up tomorrow morning, train seems best option at the mo but thanks for the offer! :)

Jon_W
14-04-11, 10:28 AM
I've had the Sv for 9 years....

...not selling though!!

BB
14-04-11, 12:23 PM

BB

Nearly as long as Iv'e had my wife - must be love Judy ;D

:D :D

470four
15-04-11, 02:27 PM
Home safe!

One big red Italian sports motorcycle sat on my drive. 8-) 8-)

Nelly
15-04-11, 02:46 PM
Home safe!

One big red Italian sports motorcycle sat on my drive. 8-) 8-)

Nice job! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]