PDA

View Full Version : Weight equalisation in Racing

Squashed_Fly
14-04-11, 12:44 PM
Just seen that they are considering adding weight to the lighter riders bikes in GP and Dani Pedrosa is kicking off about it.

What are your thoughts? Should they level out the playing field in terms of weight, or do the lighter riders lose out in other places?

It has been highlighted that they use less fuel & tyres last longer, so obvious benefits, but then Dani said he struggles to muscle the bike round corners as well as the heavier riders so already at a disadvantage there, and adding weight to the bike would only make his disadvantage worse, but not do the same for the heavier riders...

jonnydangerous
14-04-11, 01:08 PM
well, one race team could employ a 35 stone rider, and that would mean that the other teams would be at a disadvantage cos the fat riders weight would be dynamic (his weight could be shifted for cornering), and the fixed weights on other riders bikes would be.....fixed!

maybe ive just hit upon a scheme here......

the fat rider wouldnt be very aerodynamic tho....

Uber Dave
14-04-11, 06:41 PM
Works in touring cars.....

Scotty
14-04-11, 08:19 PM
Can't remember if they do something similar (or used to) in 125s - have a minimum combined mass of bike and rider - then again, on a 125 it makes a lot more difference. I don't know who the heaviest rider in MotoGP is, but if any of them weigh more than 70kg I'd be surprised, maybe Simoncelli as he's about the tallest, but I haven't seen him languishing at the back of the field because of that... :-?

smellygerm
14-04-11, 08:28 PM
They'll be asking then to take a big s##t next and weigh it in before the start

Nooj
14-04-11, 08:41 PM
Their egos must weigh quite a bit!

Mark_Able
14-04-11, 09:21 PM
Adding weight where you want it, will still give an advantage to the lighter riders... :P

If you try to level the playing field too much, manufacturers start to lose interest. The manufacturers need motivation in the form of innovation. Otherwise you may as well stick all the riders on CG125's and see who comes out top.

Personally, as much as people think the rider makes all the difference, the bike plays a big part. And I like to see the latest tech... :)

P.S. The CG125 Championship is my idea, in case anyone trys to crib it... :P [smiley=happy.gif]

Flying Half-Dutchman
14-04-11, 10:56 PM
CG125 racing - I like it

Squashed_Fly
14-04-11, 11:09 PM
CG125 racing - I like it

I'm up for that! We should start a series..... :)

Jon_W
15-04-11, 08:04 AM
CG125 racing - I like it

I'm up for that! We should start a series..... :)

Count me in!!!! :D

Jon_W
15-04-11, 08:16 AM
Back to the issue of rider weight....

...and I see no good reason to bias weight. Smaller riders have the advantage of acceleration and a tiny speed advantage, but have to rely on less body weight to control the bike and ultimatly less tractive weight.

Bloomin' PC. since when was sport about fair play?? Get the advantage and keep it!!! :D

Scotty
15-04-11, 02:04 PM
Bit of an update, I was watching a re-run of the MotoGP race from Jerez over lunch today and Julian Ryder and Neil Spalding did comment on Simoncelli having to run a leaner fuel map than some of the other Honda riders due to being heavier (he's 72kg) and needing more throttle to get the same acceleration. Stoner and Lorenzo weigh about 60kg apiece and Rossi's 67kg. Pedrosa's a weeny 50kg I think. In that case I can't see Simoncelli complaining if they add 20kg of ballast to Pedrosa's bike.... :-?

Geordie Stu
15-04-11, 02:18 PM
After watching the last race at Jerez the weather conditions played a big part. Don't need to add weight.

Can't see Simoncelli, Spies or Edwards complaining too much if they do add weight

Uber Dave
15-04-11, 05:27 PM
Christ I would be buggered then running in at 84kg

Snowy
15-04-11, 05:54 PM
Christ I would be buggered then running in at 84kg

Lightweight, I crack the scales at 96Kg ;D ;D

Scotty
15-04-11, 05:57 PM
That makes you 1.92 Pedrosas, Hedwig... ;)

Harry87
15-04-11, 08:35 PM
You could compare it to horse racing. I really don't know a lot about it, but they all look like midgets and must weigh the same as a child. It obviously makes a difference in that sport. I guess because bikes are powered by pistons rather than hooves, rider weight doesn't make as much of a difference?

Col
16-04-11, 01:26 PM
Can't imagine this happening with bike racing tbh although, obviously, rider weight does have relevance to acceleration but a lighter rider is at some disadvantage on bends..........ridiculous idea ::)

The weights apportioned in horse racing are relevant to form and finishing place in different quality races like Grade 1, Championship, Grade 2, etc......... a bizarre thing is that a Grand National winner that then competes in a low quality hurdle race could theoretically be allotted the lowest minimum weight if it had not raced over hurdles before or its form over them was poor.. Don't Push It in the recent National had only been in hurdle races since his win the previous year :o To add in Championship/Blue Riband races they all carry the same weight.

Harry87
17-04-11, 09:13 PM
I thought horse racing must have some complex weight system. So it works a bit like a handicap system used in golf?

Col
18-04-11, 08:35 AM
Yes that's right Wolverine. You will see the name of a race as Handicap Chase ,etc. and very roughly 1lb of weight is equivalent to a horse length. In jump race the lowest weight any horse carries is 10st but Flat races they carry much less. There is something known as The Long Handicap which is the actual allotted weight given to a horse which could go very low so you sometimes hear the phrase 'out of the handicap' which means the horse is carrying more than it should and therefore stands little chance of winning......but they do as things happen during races or the horse is actually on the upgrade.

:)