PDA

View Full Version : Kind Hearted Bystander.

Kopite
05-04-11, 07:28 PM
On Sunday I took part in the Ride Of Respect through Wooton Bassett. Along with a number of friends we set of to Hullavington looking forward to a fantastic day. I took my Dragstar as it better at slow speeds than the Hornet. As we went through Brinkworth the bike started to backfire and finally came to a standstill on the side of the road. My friends stopped and asked what was wrong and I told them that the Regulator/Rectifier was knackered. I told them to push on and enjoy the day and I would sort myself out,( no point us all missing out). One friend Dave Clarke stayed behind to help.
While I was debating my next move a bystander who was clapping and waving at all the bikes walked up to me and asked if he could help. He told me to push the bike onto his drive and use any tools that I needed. I said that if I had a full battery I would be able to continue and he then produced a charger and began to charge the battery.
After a cup of tea he told me how he could not be on the ride as he had just had reconstructive surgery on his knee after an accident. He continued to explain that it would take a while to charge the battery so why dont I take his bike which was in the garage to finish the ride and bring it back when I had finished.
This came as a bit of a shock for two reasons, 1 he was recovering from a bike crash (what condition would the bike be in?) and 2 he doesn't know me from Adam! He went to the garage and produced a brand new KTM990 Adventure with only 2 weeks use! I used it to finish the ride and took it back, had more coffee and a chat, restarted the Dragstar and went home.
Sometimes you meet some real genuine people in the strangest places and this gent was one in a million. My upmost respect to him and his wife for their kindness and hospitallity and their trust in a fellow biker. My friends have said that if I fell in **** I would come out smelling of roses! This time they were right. Respect. :)

redken1
05-04-11, 07:36 PM
Stories like this one restores my faith in human nature. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

silly_simon
05-04-11, 07:39 PM
Kind of restores your faith in human nature :)

BB
05-04-11, 07:40 PM
Bikers are amazing people 8-)

BB

Scaredy_Cat
05-04-11, 07:41 PM
What a fantastic fella! 8-)

Did you tell him to join the forum so we can give him a warm and very deserved WB welcome? [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Hazel-nut
05-04-11, 07:43 PM
that was nice of him! glad you didnt miss out on the ride

470four
05-04-11, 07:48 PM

BB

Indeed! Would this have happened if your car had broke down??

Prrrrrrrrrrobably not... :)

StreetHippo
05-04-11, 07:51 PM
What a star! Be nice to invite him to join us when he's fit to ride?
Biking does deliver a camaraderie that is hard to explain to non-bikers.
Good egg!

Stu

Loops
05-04-11, 08:04 PM
I love nice people like that :-*

Nelly
05-04-11, 08:25 PM
Great story. What a great bunch bikers are! 8-)

spudgun
05-04-11, 08:31 PM
Wow, what a kind person

wiltshire builders
05-04-11, 09:09 PM
Great bike too! Hope you got him some beers.

DaytonaDog
05-04-11, 11:40 PM
Like everybody else has already said, what amazing generousity, which reiterates the camaderie that exists within the biking community.

Kopite, I saw you with a cuppa in your hand with a broad smile on your face at about 1.30-2.00 pm as I rode through some village. Were you still with the kindly gentleman who lent you the bike.

Jacde
06-04-11, 12:05 AM
Oooh that's given me such a nice warm fluffy feeling ;D
Were you on the left going into Brinkworth, wearing a black WB'er hoodie, if yes that was me waving madly while wobbling past about 1:30 ish too (DD were you in front or behind Gemma and me?)
Yep, did you recruit him??? ;D (blimey we're like the Mormons)

Jon_W
06-04-11, 07:40 AM
That's a story!

Great to see the sprit of generorsity isn't dead. :)

Squashed_Fly
06-04-11, 09:04 AM
Oooh that's given me such a nice warm fluffy feeling ;D
Were you on the left going into Brinkworth, wearing a black WB'er hoodie, if yes that was me waving madly while wobbling past at about 130ish

Jacde, you're going to have to slow down a little bit on these rides! ;D ;D ;D

Morticia
06-04-11, 04:04 PM
Wow, what an amazing human being! Gestures like that make your day, don't they?

Uber Dave
06-04-11, 05:22 PM
That is an amazing story, nice to see there are still good people out there.

We lost one of our group on the way back to Swindon after the H&C on Sunday and during collecting her I stopped on the top of a slip road off the M4 to pick her up, parking on the side of the road with my hazards on. Two bikes went past me and both asked if I was ok and needed help!

Also when I broke down in the central reservation on the M42 a few years back a guy on a BMW R1200GS stopped to help me!

Bikers for the win!

Iceman
06-04-11, 07:03 PM
...kind of thing I would have done too! There's still decent trusting folk out there! Nice one! ;)

Caz
07-04-11, 12:40 PM

BB

Too true [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

jonnydangerous
07-04-11, 01:58 PM
if someone lent me a 990 id be in africa by now..... :-)

what a fella!

Sean.C
07-04-11, 05:12 PM
Top bloke :)

Bikermouse
12-04-11, 07:01 PM
Fantastic story and shows the true camaraderie that we have amongst the biking community. This was one of the main reasons we did not return to South Africa at the end of last year.

dxb123
15-04-11, 05:54 PM
Hi Kopite,

Really pleased to have located you on here as I now owe you a big thank you.

So sorry we weren’t at home when you called at the weekend. What you left on our doorstep was very thoughtful, very much appreciated but totally unnecessary.

The important thing on RoR Sunday was for every biker to safely ride through Wootton Bassett and I am just glad that we had the means to enable you to carry on

You also did me a favour by putting a few much needed miles on the bike before it had it’s (very embarrassing) first service!

And thanks for the intro to WiltshireBikers. Will aim to get involved in some of the rides once I’m fully functional again!

Thanks again

Dave

Nelly
15-04-11, 06:03 PM
Hi Kopite,

So sorry we weren’t at home when you called at the weekend. What you left on our doorstep was very thoughtful, very much appreciated but totally unnecessary.

The important thing on RoR Sunday was for every biker to safely ride through Wootton Bassett and I am just glad that we had the means to enable you to carry on

You also did me a favour by putting a few much needed miles on the bike before it had it’s (very embarrassing) first service!

And thanks for the intro to WiltshireBikers. Will aim to get involved in some of the rides once I’m fully functional again!

Thanks again

Dave

Welcome then Dave. Thanks for saving Kopite. He's too old to walk anyway ;D

Snowy
15-04-11, 06:06 PM
Hi Kopite,

Thanks again

Dave

Can I break down outside of your house and have a go on the KTM too? Welcome to the madhouse ;)

Scaredy_Cat
15-04-11, 06:24 PM
Hi Dave, it's great to be able to welcome you to the forum. :)

NoYou
15-04-11, 07:34 PM
To be honest its this kind of thing that makes me love biking! He must be a really good guy in general to do that but even so, theres no way in hell you would get that kind of thing from say... a BMW driver :P! or a car driver in general! <3 Bikers!

bobf279
15-04-11, 08:01 PM
welcome Dave, top bloke to let your new bike out of your sight to help a fellow biker

Kopite
16-04-11, 10:12 AM
Dave, glad you found the gifts and welcome to Wiltshire Bikers. You are a gent. Give my regards to your wife. Hope to see you about soon. :)

BB
17-04-11, 07:59 PM
Welcome to WB, you can always come along in a car to a meet until you are fit again. :)

BB

Davehsw
18-04-11, 08:24 PM
Welcome to WB Dave.

Jon_W
19-04-11, 12:35 PM
Welcome to WB. Hope to see you soon.