PDA

View Full Version : New helmet

Ryan
26-04-11, 10:44 PM
As just posted on FB ;)

really need to get my arse in gear and find a new helmet, thinking of a shoei, anyone got any good or bad reports of them?

or can anyone recommend a make they have found outstanding? want to change from HJC so not that, cheers

CharleyX
26-04-11, 10:59 PM
Have two and I think there ACE fit well and no I don't get any noise [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

R1chie
26-04-11, 11:10 PM
So what lid is it?

hoppers
27-04-11, 01:00 AM
AGV.
Have had 2 Arai's and am now converted to AGV. I find it much quieter and don't get the massive amount of wind in the face that I got with the Arai. Plus the visor stays down when you move your head to the side, which the Arai had a nasty habit of not doing!!
It's really a personal choice though and best to try on a few.
Good luck!

FYI I bought mine online from www.twowheel.co.uk
They come highly recommended.

njl
27-04-11, 01:26 AM
I have the FG14 HJC and a shoei xr1000, unfortunately I do find the HJC is a better fit on me, but the difference in quality is very noticable on the shoei. I did part with another £32 quid for the whisper kit last week for the shoei but haven't given it a proper tryout yet.

Dabz
27-04-11, 09:30 AM
my AGV was very comfy, got a shoei now which was uncomfortable to start with but fine now, but isn't the quietest

Bornagain
27-04-11, 09:37 AM
Got a Nolan (which i thought was pretty good/value for money) then borrowed Halina's Shoei for brands (cuz of the tinted visor) and it was a whole UNIVERSE away in every way.

Have been on the prowl for a good one now myself. So many out there and so competetive. Gonna have to dedicate a day to hitting the stores to try them on for size and comfort.

Do they make one in "Cow head" size Ryan?!! Maybe you could squeeze into one of MCE's oversized ones ;D ;D ;)

NoYou
27-04-11, 09:44 AM
I've got a shark and its so unbelievably comfortable its almost impossible! but i honestly think you just need to go an try on as many different makes/models/sizes possible bc they all seem to vary and some just really didn't suit the shape of my head etc.

Honda_Star
27-04-11, 10:31 AM
It was an Arai, Basil ::)

Snowy
27-04-11, 11:00 AM
I really like my Schubert S1 as it's amazingly quiet and I do listen to music on the move. It has designed cutouts for headphones for this purpose. I think it might be on the heavy side for some and certainly not flash for those that care about looks. Most important though is to get one that fits well - try loads on and get the right size. I'm also a complete convert to helmets with integrated sun visors so no need to worry about carrying a spare clear or tinted visor.

Hazel-nut
27-04-11, 12:18 PM
I have a shark and love it :)

R1chie
27-04-11, 12:27 PM
Still don't know what lid it is.

As not posted on Facebook

Jacde
27-04-11, 12:48 PM
I got a Shoei, love it, it's so light weight.
If it's noisy I don't know as can't hear it as wear ear plugs.
I was advised to make sure I'm wearing my jacket when trying on helmets and to walk around for about 10 minutes, you should know by then if helmet feels comfortable.

wiltshire builders
27-04-11, 03:37 PM
Why has no-one ever started a thread about this topic before?

We should also have one about tyres too! ;D

Sean.C
27-04-11, 09:58 PM
Go for a shoei . I’ve had 2 xr1000s now and find them really comfortable.

Ryan
27-04-11, 11:08 PM
the one i was looking at was http://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/59518 as some others said, the comfyness vaires on different people for different heads ;) shoei is really comfy on me so im gona go for one of them, they seem nice quality too, gona take a trip down to heine gerkie in southampton this weekend and part with some doe :) cheers friends ;)

Nooj
28-04-11, 12:10 AM
How about a Reevu, with a rear view mirror built into it?
http://www.reevu.com/images/blackmetal500.jpg.
Quality comparable to Arai and Shoei's best lids, but considerably cheaper at £249. Even if you never use the mirror, you're still getting more for your money!

NoYou
28-04-11, 12:18 AM
How about a Reevu, with a rear view mirror built into it?
http://www.reevu.com/images/blackmetal500.jpg.
Quality comparable to Arai and Shoei, but considerably cheaper. Even if you never use the mirror, you're still getting more for your money!
Rear view mirror built into a helmet? :S how in gods name does that work?!

Nooj
28-04-11, 12:23 AM
Works like the rear view mirror in a car.
I'm in all day Saturday, come over and try the demo lid on.

BladeTriple
28-04-11, 01:18 AM
Go for what feels and looks right on your head! A helmet regardless of how many wonderful personal recommendations isn't going to always be right for you . I tried cheaper lids don't get on with them , tried Shark too round and short in the chin bar, I always go back to Arai, they are expensive but they suit my head and face shape,

End of the day Ryan, its you thats got your head entrusted to this item and its you that lives inside it while you're on your bike. Try loads on before deciding , GW's is like a sweet shop of bike helmets.

Lis'

Uber Dave
28-04-11, 12:16 PM
Got an AGV and its pretty good, amazingly light, not too bad on the wind noise front, and fit wise (due to my odd shaped head with some tiny mods - I have to alter every helmet I get with a tea spoon!) fits perfectly.

Jimbok4
28-04-11, 05:12 PM
Agree with hizzy on this go and try them on :)