PDA

View Full Version : Bit of bad news for motorcyclists perhaps

silly_simon
26-04-11, 03:05 PM
Visordown article (http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news--general-news/judges-throw-out-no-to-bike-parking-tax-case/17835.html)

:( :(

Nelly
26-04-11, 03:21 PM
Floodgates well and tuly open >:(

Beamer
26-04-11, 04:12 PM
To coin one of my favourite phrases......

"What a load of Bollocks" >:( >:( >:( >:(

NoYou
26-04-11, 04:19 PM
What Beamer said... surely in the new "green" obsessed world where there are more cars than people anything that reduces congestion and emissions should be praised above all else, instead we're just getting ... well to put it nicely butt f**ked

Squashed_Fly
26-04-11, 04:33 PM
I enjoy being arse raped as much as the next gimp, but surely this is a step too far?

Feels like we're always being penalised just because we dress in leather with our helmets on display.....

Back to the car methinks if I'm gonna have to pay to park anyway, I may as well have the comfort of the car for going into town and shops etc. >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

Beamer
26-04-11, 05:02 PM
What Beamer... surely in the new "green" obsessed world where there are more cars than people anything that reduces congestion and emissions should be praised above all else, instead we're just getting ... well to put it nicely butt f**ked

I totally agree.....thats why the idea of having pay to park a bike is a load of b***ocks......bloody rubbish idea and I think its gonna pee alot of people off....just another way of the local governments to claw back all the money they have wasted on all their stupid ideas etc.......everywhere you look they are trying to grab money off the normal Joe Bloggs to make up for the stupid way they have been blowing our money for years!!.....No I'm not in the tiniest bit knowledgeable in the political sense but even I can see they are trying to grab money from anywhere and anyone!! Grrrrr

Squashed_Fly
26-04-11, 05:05 PM
Tenner says the parking fee is the same as a cars, yet you can fit 4 or 5 bikes into the same sized bay. Even more if they're 125's!

Beamer
26-04-11, 05:16 PM
Tenner says the parking fee is the same as a cars, yet you can fit 4 or 5 bikes into the same sized bay. Even more if they're 125's!

Thats when you park in a car space and block it with 1 bike.....same price same size space.....they'll soon start moaning when theres no-where for cars to park cos bikes have filled all the spaces up lmao ;D ;D

bobf279
26-04-11, 06:43 PM
now there's a thought, a carpark filled with bikes taking up a space each so no room for cars ;)

Beamer
26-04-11, 06:54 PM
now there's a thought, a carpark filled with bikes taking up a space each so no room for cars ;)

Hehe...If I pay for a space Im gonna make full use of it and get my money's worth lol ;D ;D

redken1
26-04-11, 07:06 PM

Feel the rebel coming out in me again. Good cause for a demo me thinks >:(

Mark_Able
26-04-11, 08:25 PM

Count me in... ;)

Cemorah
26-04-11, 09:01 PM
Hmmm Friday Westminster early perhaps
How many bikes went to Hullavington?
methinks the start of a plan maybes
Any one got a facebook account or would that be treasonable?

NoYou
26-04-11, 09:40 PM
What gets me is that over the last few weeks the local council has spent god knows how much money making the pavement by wilton roundabout almost as wide as the road for no apparent reason, in two months of going past it 4 or 5 times a day, I have NEVER seen anybody walking down it, if they stopped wasting money on stupid things like that, no doubt because one little old lady lost control of her mobility scooter and fell off the curb, then they wouldn't even need to consider changing free parking for bikes ...
Geo

Jon_W
26-04-11, 09:43 PM

Count me in... ;)

+1 :)

Squashed_Fly
27-04-11, 08:44 AM

Count me in... ;)

+1 :)

+2 - Cracking Idea!!! Bring Londons parking to a standstill for the day.... Imagine if no vehicles could park in or around westminster for an entire day except the bikes. Would cause absolute chaos!

Col
27-04-11, 05:37 PM
London :-? seems this is more a city issue imo.Not too bothered so long as the muppets don't charge on 'Nam bridge.

jpssantos
28-04-11, 07:47 PM
the car space filled with a bike wont work...

surely we'll pay the same price as a car, but we'll have a designated space for motorbikes to park.

So when you park your bike in a car space, you'll be parking illegaly as there's a space for bikes.

Taylor911
28-04-11, 08:27 PM
So when you park your bike in a car space, you'll be parking illegaly as there's a space for bikes.

Its illegal for us to park in a car space?
:o

Beamer
28-04-11, 08:32 PM
the car space filled with a bike wont work...

surely we'll pay the same price as a car, but we'll have a designated space for motorbikes to park.

Not if the bike park is full up too!! ;D ;D

Nooj
28-04-11, 09:03 PM
They've been doing demo rides treating bikes like cars and not filtering/taking up a car's worth of space bringing Westminster to a grinding halt every Wednesday morning for the last year or so.

It's being taken to the European courts now.

It's not a city issue, it's OUR issue, once it's got the go-ahead in one place, the rest WILL follow.

redken1
29-04-11, 07:59 PM
I agree Nooj – All local authorities keep a watchful eye on pilot schemes which have been adopted elsewhere, especially so if they see it as a means of raising extra local coffers. Make no mistake, should Boris and his cohorts introduce parking charges for bikes in London, other local authorities will follow the city’s lead quite swiftly.

Keep our fingers crossed for a positive outcome for the bikers in their legal challenge.

Mark_Able
29-04-11, 08:30 PM
I've got to say, I've never parked in a car park. I park wherever I like. I don't cause an obstruction. I never pay for parking.

But it's not so easy to get away with it in the Smoke... :(

Nooj
01-05-11, 07:42 PM
Thing is, it's free for bikes to park in the underground council car parks in Westminster, which are out of the weather and under CCTV surveillance.

The issue the protesters have is that WCC issued press releases saying one thing about why they were going to trial the scheme and where the money generated would go, which then later turned out to be complete lies. Basically it's just a way for corrupt WC Councillors to line their own and their mate's pockets.

...We have always maintained that this scheme was intended to raise revenue. The notion that the residents were to be beneficiaries could have lent a modicum of justification to this charge. But this was simply not the case as WCC admitted the scheme was sold as being ‘revenue-neutral’ to the other Councillors, and presented in court as costing the residents a projected £400k per annum.

The actual beneficiaries were to be the two private companies contracted to collect & enforce the scheme -- both with unacceptably close links to certain councillors & officers; both of whose contract awards were mired in allegations of collusion & corruption; and both with separate complaints either previously investigated or under investigation by the EU Commission.

Only last month, WCC squandered £600k on an out-of-court settlement rather than have the parking enforcement contract award examined under the public glare of a court case...

http://notobikeparkingtax.com/

SueZX4
01-05-11, 08:21 PM
Thing is, it's free for bikes to park in the underground council car parks in Westminster, which are out of the weather and under CCTV surveillance.

The issue the protesters have is that WCC issued press releases saying one thing about why they were going to trial the scheme and where the money generated would go, which then later turned out to be complete lies. Basically it's just a way for corrupt WC Councillors to line their own and their mate's pockets.

...We have always maintained that this scheme was intended to raise revenue. The notion that the residents were to be beneficiaries could have lent a modicum of justification to this charge. But this was simply not the case as WCC admitted the scheme was sold as being ‘revenue-neutral’ to the other Councillors, and presented in court as costing the residents a projected £400k per annum.

The actual beneficiaries were to be the two private companies contracted to collect & enforce the scheme -- both with unacceptably close links to certain councillors & officers; both of whose contract awards were mired in allegations of collusion & corruption; and both with separate complaints either previously investigated or under investigation by the EU Commission.

Only last month, WCC squandered £600k on an out-of-court settlement rather than have the parking enforcement contract award examined under the public glare of a court case...

http://notobikeparkingtax.com/
Haha, they're reclaiming their expenses on second mortgages for houses they haven't got and their pet food! Cheery thought that it's us they're taking the piss out of by doing it, and forcing us to pay for it. The MP's and bank managers all go to the same funny hand-shake club and they all seem to be out to make as much money out of normal people as possible. Demonstration of some sort? oh yes!! (churchill dog style!) count me in! :D