PDA

View Full Version : Halfords Chain Wax

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 08:35 AM
Thanks to Jaydee for this top recommendation!

Spent an hour last night with the parrafin & WD40, cleaning all the crap off my rear end and making my chain shiny(ish).

I bought some of the above, sprayed it on and have been out to the gym & back this morning and not a drop on my rear wheel!!! Much better than the silkolene stuff I was using.

Must admit, I would have been a bit dubious about buying halfords own brand chain wax, but if it's good enough for Jaydee and his Gixxer, it's good enough for me. I was getting so fed up of cleaning it, lubing up, then it spraying off everywhere on the first ride out!

Kevinb
24-05-11, 08:51 AM
Good shout, I need to get some more so I will give it a go.

NoYou
24-05-11, 10:13 AM
Good timeing was going to as what wax people used, seems I no longer need to, have to go up to halfords anyways so will pick some up while I'm there

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 10:17 AM
It's this one:
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_21 7764_langId_-1_categoryId_165705

It's got 5 star reviews as well...

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 10:30 AM
Get a Scottoiler, 30k+ out of your chain, well worth the money.

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 10:44 AM
Scotoilers don't do anything that I can't do with a spanner. Biggest waste of money going!

Regular chain maintenance & lubing will do just as good a job and far cheaper. I know some people are die hard fans so opinion is mixed. But I'd rather just look after my chain than get lazy. Trouble with leaving it all down to the scotoiler, is you then run the risk of missing other problems that you'd find while adjusting & lubing your chain by hand.

But each to their own and if it works for you, then it's all good

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 11:12 AM
It's nothing to do with being lazy, i can get 30k on a scottoiler and 12k without, that's not lazy, it's just commen sense. Spend £6 on a can of gunk monthly and a new chain and sprockets every 12k, or £80 on a scottoiler that you fill with chainsaw oil, and get 30k on C&S. I used to do 50k a year on bikes, now i'm down to 15. It doesn't do as good a job at all, scottoiler is constantly applying lube, not after every ride, and where did i say i don't maintain my bike? Seriously, stop listening to other people, and form an opinion of your own, just once.

Scotty
24-05-11, 11:16 AM
Your spanner can lubricate your chain??? **** me, even Snap-Ons can't manage that, where did you get yours from then?

Bit of a change of tune isn't it? One minute you're asking us which way round you have to sit on the bike, the next you're dispensing wisdom like a 30-year veteran.... ::) ::) ::) ;) ;) ;) ;D ;D ;D

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 11:19 AM
I don't think taking advice from people who have tried it with, and without, and seen no difference is 'just listening to other people'.

£80 is a waste of money for a gimmicky product. But like I said, if it works for you, then great. Personally, I've never had to replace a chain or sprockets in 12 years of motorcycling, and I've never used a scottoiler. So I'm speaking from my own experience. Applying lube after cleaning and riding has worked fine, and I've put in a lot more than 30,000 miles in the last 12 years.

It's a wonderful placebo.... It worked on you ;)

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 11:25 AM
"I don't think taking advice from people who have tried it with, and without, and seen no difference is 'just listening to other people'."

Isn't it? What is it then?

Sure there are fans and detractors, the fans are those that do more than 30k in one year i guess. BTW i have tried both, over many bikes, and many years, and scottoiler wins hands down.

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 11:25 AM
Your spanner can lubricate your chain???

No, but it can adjust it! Something a scottoiler can't do...

Like I said, if it wporks for you then great. It's just my opinion. Just because I'm not a track day veteran, know how to take an engine apart, or ride a litre sports bike, doesn't mean I've only been riding 2 minutes. I've always looked after my own chain, since I had my first bike many years ago.

Riders who do 30k miles+ a year are a minority. Maybe it does work for them. But for your average rider, I can't see it adding much value. I'd be replacing my bike before I got to see the added value.

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 11:30 AM
Lol, i've done 12k in the last 10 months, and despite having the bike on paddock stands at least once a month, i haven't had to adjust the chain once. Oh and i clean it with WD40...regularly.

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 11:32 AM
Out of interest then, the scottoiler keeps the chain lubed, but how does it stop it stretching under load?

njl
24-05-11, 11:36 AM
2p coming in...

Scottoiler / chainsaw oil is light enough to drop off the chain taking some of the dirt off with it, so there will be less crud on the rollers to grind down the sprocket teeth etc..reducing the need for cleaning..heavier chain lube will hold stuff there needing regualr claening.

FWIW, I just don't clean my chain every 600 or so, hence my scottoiler

and I'm out :)

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 11:42 AM
My own theory is the constant applying of lube, which some is flung off, also flings off the dirt, so all that grit and nasty stuff doesn't turn into a ****ty grinding paste wearing your chain. Constantly having lube on the moving parts, stops wear and reduces stretch considerably, stretch isn't caused under load as such, as there should still be slack, it's rotating around the sprockets, which if it's all wet with lube, will wear significantly less. Make sense? If not ask Scottoiler, all i know is, they do work. Yes they mess your back end a bit, especially in winter when you turn them up. Yes they cost an initial outlay, but you get this back with reduced wear. They don't make you lazy, at all, as i still have the bike up, for a wash and fettle. It's the same as saying wd40 damages your chain. I didn't have one on my last bike, and despite constant lubing, i was getting 12k per C&S, but the bike before i did, and never changed the C&S.

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 11:44 AM
2p coming in...

Scottoiler / chainsaw oil is light enough to drop off the chain taking some of the dirt off with it, so there will be less crud on the rollers to grind down the sprocket teeth etc..reducing the need for cleaning..heavier chain lube will hold stuff there needing regualr claening.

FWIW, I just don't clean my chain every 600 or so, hence my scottoiler

and I'm out :)

Pah, chicken, we haven't even started calling each other names yet ;)

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 11:47 AM
That makes sense I guess. I suppose if you commute long distance, and don't get much time to look after your bike then it could be a good investment.

I just know when I looked at getting one many years ago for my RS125, I was advised that it wasn't necesary if I was regularly cleaning & maintaining my chain. I never bought one, and I never needed to replace the chain. But as I said, I never did 30,000 miles a year, nor do I now. Plus I'm quite fanatical about cleaning it hence getting so annoyed with the other chain lube finding its way to my clean back wheels all the time.

Do you find with it being a thinner oil, applied constantly, that you get much fling off? That's another thing the sales guy told me was an issue for some users...

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 11:55 AM
I clean my bike in this weather about once a month, there is some spotting on the rear, but not noticeable really. It's childsplay to setup correctly, if you have it too high then of course it will be everywhere. The benefits far outweigh the negs, personally i think it's ridiculous that all bikes are not fitted with some automatic C&S lubing system, it would be ridiculous to think a car manufacturer would sell a car expecting us to lube and clean the drivechain regularly...Go on http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SCOTTOILER-SCOTOILER-SCOTT-OILER-SCOT-CHAIN-LUBE-SYSTEM_W0QQitemZ390171620881QQcmdZViewItem?rvr_id= 234723322568&clk_rvr_id=234721832069&imp_rvr_id=23 4721832069&clk_rvr_id=234721832069&cguid=44a9ce051 2f0a0a9f6a09b90fe991e6b you know you want to.

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 12:01 PM
What, and go back on everything I've just said? I'd look even more stupid then! ;)

Maybe if I end up with a commuter bike in years to come then I'll think about it. But for now I'll save my £80 and put it towards a new Arai, or some more track days (or the wedding if the missus gets her way)

Uber Dave
24-05-11, 12:09 PM
For Gods sake you are all starting to sound like a stuck record. Scott Oiler, no Scott oiler WTF does it matter. If SF is happy with lubing cleaning then leave it be, if you others are happy with a Scott Oiler, let it be.

I feel like every other day I come on these damn forums as of late somone is having a go at someone for something, pack it the f^£k in and act like the adults you are MEANT TO ALL BE!

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 12:14 PM
pack it the f^£k in and act like the adults you are MEANT TO ALL BE!

Spoilsport - Mitch & I was enjoying that :(

Lol

It's all good banter. Helps lighten the mood when I can't work becasue the bloody IT systems are down AGAIN!

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 12:15 PM
Sorry, i thought forums were for debate and opinion, adults can cope with that, if you can't, perhaps you need to look closer to home!

Uber Dave
24-05-11, 12:19 PM
Sorry, i thought forums were for debate and opinion, adults can cope with that, if you can't, perhaps you need to look closer to home!

You dont know me so dont presume you know what I can cope with. I can take debate, but its getting out of hand between the same people more often than is needed at the moment, there is no need to be bickering in half the threads that are active all the time which seems to be the case over the last couple of months!

Squashed_Fly
24-05-11, 12:25 PM

True, but what Dave is saying, is this trend of mass debating in the public forum is getting silly... ;D

Mitch9128
24-05-11, 12:31 PM

You dont know me so dont presume you know what I can cope with. I can take debate, but its getting out of hand between the same people more often than is needed at the moment, there is no need to be bickering in half the threads that are active all the time which seems to be the case over the last couple of months!

You seem a sensitive type, perhaps log off or go on a knitting forum?

Nooj
24-05-11, 02:41 PM
Chain wax? Avoid it. All it does is hold on to all the grit and dust and form a cutting compound that will grind away your chain and sprockets.

Scottoilers (or similar), when set up properly, are the best solution. If you're getting fling form them then its turned up too high. In fact with all forms of chain lube, excessive fling means you're putting too much on.

If you don't like oilers, I recommend the various dry lubes, they work like wax, but without all the sticky gack.

The key to chain and sprocket longevity, which ever lube you use, is to apply it little and often, and clean any excess off if gooey deposits start to build up. Even a dribble of light gear oil by hand will do, every 250 dry miles, or 100 wet miles.

Scaredy_Cat
24-05-11, 04:17 PM
Scottoiler for me, but then I am doing 600 miles a week on the Fazer and hate trying to get it on and off the centre stand (don't say a word Nooj! ;D ). I do all my checks for wear and damage in conjunction with the bike's weekly wash :)

bobf279
24-05-11, 10:20 PM
Even with the scottoiler fitted to my CBF I still need to check and sometimes adjust my chain. I don't have a scottoiler fitted to the Deauville but then it is shaft drive ;D