PDA

View Full Version : Motorbike crash bobins

wi77y
09-06-11, 05:15 PM
Just wonderd what everybody thought about the crash bobins ?
Only ask cos my dads got some laying around in the garage
that could do with a paint and wack em on me bike :)

Ryan
09-06-11, 05:17 PM
They are proper good and do the job they are made for well, some people don't like the look of them, but if you ever went down the road it would cost you allot less in damage, still need to get some on mine at some point!

silly_simon
09-06-11, 05:49 PM
They are usually bike specific mate aswell and on your bike they fit where the engine bolts to the frame AFAIK :o

wi77y
09-06-11, 05:51 PM
They are usually bike specific mate aswell and on your bike they fit where the engine bolts to the frame AFAIK :o

Yer he got same bike, so all is well :)

silly_simon
09-06-11, 05:53 PM
Cool :) will save you a fortune then ;D

BB
09-06-11, 06:38 PM
Worth having even if you only ever 'put the bike down' in the garage! ::)

BB

wiltshire builders
09-06-11, 06:39 PM
I've got mates who don't fit them because they say that the bobbins can dig in and flip the bike. I can see where they're coming from but every off is different. I've got a full set of R+G including exhaust protector. Just be aware some insurance companies will up your premium if you have them fitted.

Dabz
09-06-11, 07:53 PM
Worth every penny - when I went down the road in January the crash bung took almost all the impact, not a single scratch on the fairings

Nooj
09-06-11, 08:23 PM
They can only do so much, as WltsBldr says it depends on the crash. You are stacking the odds in your favour of being able to ride the bike away after a drop by fitting them. The Missus has the full compliment of R&G stuff on both her bikes (one of them is an FZ6 Fazer) and they've saved her time and time again from silly drops in the back yard or when loaded up with luggage.

NoYou
10-06-11, 10:09 AM
Ahh noooooj while we`re on the subject, do R&G do bobbins for the 2001 rs 125?
Had a quick look on their site but got lost with all the drop downs xD
Geo

Caz
10-06-11, 12:51 PM
I had some that were fitted on brackets on the frame and didn't protect the bike in fact they went through the fairing when I dropped it. I know have engine mounted crash bungs which are really solid but not yet dropped it ;)

470four
10-06-11, 01:05 PM
- can bend your engine mounting lugs if they slide into a kerb or similar?

Depends what kind of crash you have? If its a low-speed / stationary topple then they will save your plastic & paint for sure!

Motorcycles are inherently unstable - if you let go of them stationary they will fall over, it beggars belief why it took so long for manufacturers to start providing mounts for them?

At the end of the day you dont know when you are going to drop the bike, they can only be a good idea...

Ducatista
10-06-11, 02:30 PM
Just be aware some insurance companies will up your premium if you have them fitted.

I believe ebike give you a discount for R&G crash protectors (I tried the quote with and without).

Insome accidents I believe the engine bar one can actually do more damage.
Insurance works off statistics so some comapnies may put it up, others may put it down depending on what stats they are using for claims experience.

I have a full set of R&G on mine - front wheel, engine and rear wheel but they've not been used yet.

Jon_W
10-06-11, 02:50 PM
I have bobbins on the Sv, and they are worth every penny. Won't save you in a major spill, but will save your bodywork if you drop it.

Nooj
10-06-11, 05:54 PM
Ahh noooooj while we`re on the subject, do R&G do bobbins for the 2001 rs 125?
Had a quick look on their site but got lost with all the drop downs xD
Geo

So far, only for the '03 onwards one (pointy shape). Could be they've just not had a chance to work on the rounder RS125. Give them a ring and see if they'd be interested in making a pair up, I expect you'd get a discount at least for lending them your bike, maybe a free set.