PDA

View Full Version : Steamy helmet window

ANTI_HERO_HULL
03-03-11, 07:51 AM
someone must have a few good tips for this, on the cold mornings my visor streams up right away is there a way to stop it cos' my face is starting to freeze off with the helmet window open.
Cheers
Mike ;D

Blackandchrome
03-03-11, 08:09 AM
Visor "Streams up"!
Bad case of condensation there!! ;D

Cemorah
03-03-11, 08:41 AM
Pinlock visor best but "foggy" insert (£12.00) can help. Never had much luck with the sprays etc

Jacde
03-03-11, 08:46 AM
Have you tried spitting on the inside of the visor and then rubbing it over the surface, bit like divers do with their masks? No idea if it'll work but you could try!
By the way, I don't gob on my visor ;D I have pinlock and it works a treat as you would see if you ever look at me when I'm on my bike, the edges are almost always misted up because I breath so heavily ::)

Mitch9128
03-03-11, 08:47 AM
Fairy liquid, drop on the inside, and polish it up, don't rinse. Pinlock is the way ahead though.

Nooj
03-03-11, 09:06 AM
Foggy mask, best and cheapest add-on to your lid for winter use. I used to use Pin locks but after a while they'd always start to let a bit of fogging occur. They also reduce the size of the window you look through as well, as the edges of the visor they don't cover mist over.

A Foggy mask will also help keep your face warm, though may not be the best choice if you suffer from severe halitosis :)

Mitch9128
03-03-11, 09:15 AM
There's a new pinlock visor now, it covers most of the visible area, pricey though. You can also refresh your pinlock by washing in warm soapy water, and letting dry naturally, also adjust the pins as neccesary, to get the seal flush.

ANTI_HERO_HULL
03-03-11, 09:56 AM
Cheers will go shopping at weekend I think.

Snowy
03-03-11, 10:38 AM
I have tried most things to prevent visor misting. Always seem to come back to a Pinlock visor and using FogTech on glasses.

stretchie_
03-03-11, 11:42 AM
Foggy's are good, they deflect your breath downwards but I found that if you have some sort of neck protection (snoods or whatever they are called) then they don't always work very well.

Visor inserts are the best way to go, pinlocks are great if your visor has it, but check it often and tighten if needed otherwise can become loose and chatter about marking you visor and also steaming up again but it takes longer to unsteam.

They now do a pinlock with a silicone edge for a better seal, I need a new one (one a new visor because I let mine get loose). Definitely recommend them.

Fog city inserts (and similar) are good, you stick them on the inside of your visor you can get them clear, dark, they do a hyperoptiks (I think that's how you spell it) that's basically the same as reactalight, they go dark when the sun hits them and go clear when the sun goes in

Nelly
03-03-11, 12:06 PM
I used to use a little fairy liquid as well. Works a treat but, since i had the pinlock, there's no going back. 8-)

Nooj
03-03-11, 09:50 PM
Hmmm, I may re-investigate Pinlocks if they've addressed the issues I was having.

Loops
03-03-11, 09:57 PM
If you can't fit a pinlock or fog insert, then just putting something over your mouth will help loads.

And spray the visor with anti-fog spray - but if you wear glasses with coated lenses DON'T USE IT ON THEM. It will damage the coating - keep a pair with uncoated lenses (like polycarb which is also tougher) for the bike.

igbell
03-03-11, 10:06 PM
To be honest I have always rode with my visor open. But I have used the spray you can buy for swimming goggles and this has worked, or if I am away and dont have this I use washing up liquid

ro
03-03-11, 11:48 PM
I never found an anti-mist treatment that worked well or for long—but once I tried Pinlock, the misting problem went away so I don't need to think about it any more.

...except riding off-road; there's a good reason why everyone wears a well-ventilated MX helmet and goggles. 8-)

smellygerm
04-03-11, 07:07 AM
I just hold my breath for the entire journey :D

BB
04-03-11, 01:32 PM
Pinlock for me, but I do hate having the visor shut - must be claustrophobic! :D

BB

Iceman
04-03-11, 06:32 PM
I never found an anti-mist treatment that worked well or for long—but once I tried Pinlock, the misting problem went away so I don't need to think about it any more.

..thanks for the info "Ro".Will try that out. ;)

NiteW4tcher
04-03-11, 07:14 PM
fairy liquid ftw

i also cant stand my visor closed.....but big bugs travelling @ 70mph hurts lol

hartley1
25-06-11, 07:18 PM
i can be involved there anyway ..

Marmalade
25-06-11, 07:47 PM
I keep a can of Bob Heath anti-fog visor cleaner on the bike.
It works fine for me, great when it rains and visor is shut, also keeps visor and specs nice and clean

Dave_R1
25-06-11, 08:53 PM
As already mentioned, Pinlock is the only true way to solve the problem. My visor didn't have pinlock functionality, so Infinity Motorcycles in Southampton drilled two small holes in the visor and fitted the pins. That was about 5 years ago and i've never had a moment's trouble with it.

D

Loops
25-06-11, 10:23 PM
also keeps visor and specs nice and clean

Just be careful (or just don't at all) if you use it on specs that have any coatings! I ruined a pair that had an anti-reflect, anti-scratch coating as the anti-fog spray damaged it.

Col
26-06-11, 01:32 AM
i can be involved there anyway ..

that's good to know :-?

JohnS
27-06-11, 06:54 PM
Have you tried spitting on the inside of the visor and then rubbing it over the surface, bit like divers do with their masks? No idea if it'll work but you could try!
By the way, I don't gob on my visor ;D I have pinlock and it works a treat as you would see if you ever look at me when I'm on my bike, the edges are almost always misted up because I breath so heavily ::)

I was told by a diving school once to smear white toothpaste (had to be full white not the stripy stuff) over the mask glass (or visor in this instance), let it dry and then rinse it off without rubbing it off. Tried it on a diving mask but wasn't under water long enough for it to steam up anyway. Haven't tried it on a visor because i have a pinlock system. Please don't hold me responsible if it doesn't work or damages your helmet! :D

Nooj
30-06-11, 02:32 PM
UPDATE: I don't need Pinlock, Foggy or anything similar now :)

I don't know what they've done to their visors, but the clear ones on Reevu lids DO NOT mist up! Was surprised when the Missus said it about hers after she rode through a hail storm in London a few weeks ago, but I tried my clear one for the fist time last night coming home from a meet and it wouldn't mist up at all. I sat breathing onto it as hard as I could before setting off, to the point where I started to feel a bit wobbly, and I couldn't get it to mist up one bit.

This is the first product I've taken on in my shop that I've not already had years of experience with and the more I use it the more I like it, definitely picked a winner! 8-)

mcicy
02-07-11, 10:23 AM
I use a pinlock visor never steams up no matter how cold it is