PDA

View Full Version : Scotland Trip

wi77y
15-06-11, 06:53 PM
Hi all planning on doing a tour up to scotland via wales soon with girlfriend as pillion
and wantted some advice or tips ?
painiers hard or soft ?
Free camping ?
anything? I've planed 2 diffrent routes so far but nothing is defo yet.

ROUTE 1 Trip to Scotland

Monday-Day1- Here to N Wales Snowdon- (6/7hours 234 miles)
Tuesday-Day2-N Wales to Kilwinning(6/7hours 310miles)
WednesdayDay3-Kilwinning to Castel Leaven ferry to Hunters Quay (£4 each run every 20 mins) then to fort William.(3/4hours 140miles)
Thursday-Day4- Fort William to Loch ness/Inverness (1 /2hours 77 miles)
Friday-Day5-Loch ness to home(9/10hours (564miles)
fuel cost £150ish

ROUTE 2

Monday-day1-Here to Snowdon via 7th bridge-(4/5hours 191miles)
Tuesday-day2-N Wales to kilwinning 6/7 hours 313miles)
Wednesday-day3- kilwinning to Isle of skye via Maliag ferry £18(6hours 247miles)
Thursday-Day4-Isle of skye to lochness via inverness(3/4hours 156 miles)
Friday-Day5-Loch ness to home(9/10hours (564miles)

Any info or tips would be great as its my first long ride/tour

Thank You

FJ_Biker
15-06-11, 07:16 PM
My tip would be ride less miles in one day. maybe just Scotland or Wales. You will have a sore backside and be very tired when you finish. Do less and enjoy more if that makes sense.

As for luggage that is a personal choice. I use hard luggage as it is waterproof so you do not have to pack everything in bin bags if it rains. On the down side it costs more but I find it quicker to pack and easier to manage. I'm sure other riders on here will point out good things with soft luggage like it costs less and as it is flexible so you can fit more kit in.

Good luck with your trip, maybe do a warm up trip one weekend first.

Can't help with the free camp-sites

Squashed_Fly
15-06-11, 07:55 PM
Have a few practices at putting all your kit on, taking it off and riding with it all on.

Mark_Able
15-06-11, 08:28 PM
Hard luggage every time Wi77y. It doesn't mark your bodywork, or move around, and is generally a lot more waterproof.

Really envy you. Would love to do scotland by bike. If you're going to Fort William, turn left and take the Road to the Isles. It's fabulous, and takes you past the Glenfinnan monument.

I'm with FJ though, less miles per day. I'm happy up to about 250 miles, but not much more. :-?

YMFB
15-06-11, 10:27 PM
hard luggage, waterproof and secure. Definitely try loading/packing. get a 3 man not a 2 man tent. dont bother with cooking gear just two mugs. Just my opinion after only three camping trips

SueZX4
16-06-11, 12:04 AM
We did a tour round the coast to Land's End and back over a week last year (our honeymoon!!) ok, I was still pillion then,(yep the final straw for me to get my backside into gear and learn to ride myself!) but even the relatively small mileage per day (ranged from 50 - 150 miles per day,) was enough. Sore backside, stiff legs, ok for one or two days, but after that, gets abit tough going, especially if the weather's not brilliant. We used hard panniers, which were pretty good, even through a hail storm going into Cornwall, they didn't let much water in. But also, we did the B&B thing rather than camping so didn't need to take much luggage. There are some really good camping shops that sell "minimal" equipment, for people trying to travel light, some of the smaller tents fold away to nothing, and a little one-hob burner can be a lifesaver for making a cuppa or heating some beans... you'd be amazed what you can get away with if you need to!! We're doing the same trip again, the other way round (south coast first this time) in September, and will be on two bikes this time, so really know where you're coming from! Good luck, it should be amazing!!! (ps, if you go up the A470 in Wales, beware THE hill.....) :D

SueZX4
16-06-11, 12:07 AM
ps, the first port of call for buying stuff... ebay..!!

YMFB
16-06-11, 07:59 AM
Get good sleep mats we bought Vango self inflating ones and there great. Cotswold have a range and a box of rocks to try the mats on.

wi77y
16-06-11, 06:48 PM
Hi thanks for the tips guys :)

Only thing not sure how cut down miles because most of the miles is spent driving up to Scotland and back and plus planned to stay at Wales to half the journey on way up to help but will have look at Route 3.

I'll try get some hard panniers :)

Yea was planning on loading up bike soon and go riding just to feel what its like.
Thanks mark left at fort William is noted...Told you I’d go hehe :)

YMFB you say 3 man tent - I’ve got 4 man tent here but was thinking its to heavy or big but I've seen 3 man tents just as big as my 4 hmmmm.. so is 3 man tent smaller e.g. packed on the bike. and vango mat looks good and not to pricey thanks.
Thanks sue I was looking for one them camping stoves things they look cool and so small e bay tis :)

silly_simon
16-06-11, 07:55 PM
To fit the panniers mate you will need a fitting kit specific for your bike :) IE Givi wingrack system ;)

But watch it as they can be quite expensive :o :o

FJ_Biker
16-06-11, 08:28 PM
Wi77y, I guess it depends on what sort of touring you want to do. I enjoy ambling around and sight seeing when I get to my destination so prefer less miles and more stops plus a bear or two in the evening (so late starts for me). It's worth remembering you will only get three full days of holiday in in Scotland. Pitching up and taking down the tent takes a while to. This will add about an hour and a half a day by the time you have checked in. I'm not trying to be negative just would not like to come back shattered never wanting to do another touring holiday because they are great fun.

If I was doing a five day break I would look at only doing one on the countries pitch up for two blocks of two nights, this will give you two days of riding without a load of luggage attached to your bike.

All I can say on the tent is get one with a porch big enough to remove your boots so you do not trample rubbish into your sleeping area, vital for rainy days.

All in all I think it is good just to go and learn by your mistakes as we all holiday differently.

If you are looking to save money on your holiday I can loan you a set of NonFango luggage if you can find a mounting rack for it on eBay. Also my NonFango kit fits some Givi racks to. The three panniers I have work out to just over 120 ltrs

Jon_W
17-06-11, 10:32 AM
I'd use hard luggage. More secure, easier to mount and remove as you need and waterproof.

As to camping, I'd go to a proper site. You'll then have the luxary of showers and possibly a laundry.

Tips, take your time and enjoy the view!!! 8-)

SueZX4
17-06-11, 01:04 PM
Yep, tailor made pannier racks are expensive.. Simon bodged one up for the GPZ out of ordinary steel tubing. It may not have looked the best, but it did the job!! Definitely have a practice or two, especially your GF getting on and off the bike with a load of luggage - I made such a fool of myself (nothing new there!) attempting to climb onto the back with the panniers in place! It took us a couple of days into the trip before we had a system that worked for us both! ;)

wi77y
17-06-11, 05:39 PM
Hi i've planned a shorter route plus extra day :)

Route 3

Sunday-Day-1-Here to kilwinning (Mostly Motorway :() 7 hours 408miles.

Monday-Day2-kilwinning to fort William (Up coast through largs to Castel carry.ferry to Dunoon up A815 A83 Roller coaster road join A82 to fort William) via Castel carry ferry to hunter quay(£4 each every 20 mins) 3.5 hours 137 miles

Tuesday-Day3-Fort William(A830 through Glenfinnan then to malliag hop on ferry then take A851 on to A87) to Skye via malliag ferry(£18) 2.5hours 104 miles.

Wenseday-Day4-Skye to(A87 to A82 easy day :) Lochness 2 hours 98 miles

Thursday-Day5-Lochness/Inverness(A82 around into Inverness then on to B852) Explore/relax :) 1 /2 hours 60 miles.

Friday-Day6-Lochness to home 9 hours564 miles.[

Not sure if ill beable to afford to buy hard panniers before i go which is a shame but i have got a top box mounting plate thing on my bike so might at least get top box for cheap or with any luck my girl friends dad has one going see if it fits on this sunday :)
Thanks for offer FJ-biker but it wouldnt feel right taking someone else's stuff that i dont no due to fear off and accidental drop ekk lol !
Thanks jon-w but i aint got loads to spend on camp sites so wild camping sounds more fun and
free--dom.

I quite like this route more relax

Mark_Able
17-06-11, 09:04 PM
That sounds like an awesome route. You'll poo your pants going over the Skye Bridge... ;D

If you can get a Givi rack, I might be able to help you out with some hard luggage. Give me a shout on the usual number mate... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nooj
19-06-11, 05:40 PM
Did the highlands a few years ago. Great if the weather's with you, right PITA if it's not (chances are it won't be). And the midges will eat you alive if you dare bare any skin!

But the roads are great and very quiet once you get into the Highlands. Skye is very nice, visit the Talisker distillery if you get the chance. And if you like seafood, you need to go to Creelers (http://www.skye-seafood-restaurant.co.uk/) on Skye, it's the best you'll ever taste.

Try and fit in the Kinlochleven loop if you can, off the A82 near Glencoe, known locally as the Scottish TT. And The Pass Of Cattle to Applecross if you have nerves of steel.

Accomodation's fairly easy, we stayed in these places (http://www.wigwamholidays.com/) for most of the trip, only camping in Drumnadrochit, by Loch Ness (over rated, there are far far nicer lochs to explore).

I can recommend the venison burgers in the Lochcarron Hotel as well.

wi77y
11-07-11, 06:48 PM
13 Days and counting ekkkkkkkkkk........ :)

I was talking to someone from work about a "pam grip thing" anyone used one/anygood?

And thanks Nooj got that loop in my plans now staying at mc D hotel in Kinlochleven :)

Mark_Able
11-07-11, 09:08 PM
You'll love it. Glencoe is stunning... [smiley=happy.gif]