PDA

View Full Version : Wheel balancing

Kevinb
27-07-11, 09:00 AM
Why do manufacturers paint wheels that then have to have weights stuck on when wheels are balanced?
My bike is in VGC but I noticed at the weekend a patch of paint missing off the rear wheel. I have managaed to source a touch up for it but why hasn't anyone thought of a better way of attaching the weights?

Snowy
27-07-11, 09:15 AM
There are dynamic balancing options on the market you can get...such as putting small beads in the tyre that balance up when the tyre is rotating or various fluid treatments. Have not tried it myself as I'm happy adding weights but it's an option to consider.

Squashed_Fly
27-07-11, 10:14 AM
Most wheels are cast, and try as you may, you'll never get a perfectly even casting the whole way round. That combined with imperfections in the tyre making process is why the balancing is required ( I only know this as I asked the same question when mine were being done!).

Could always switch to carbon fibre wheels?

Jon_W
27-07-11, 10:30 AM
SF is correct. Balancing a wheel means balancin the rim, valve and tyre together. As two of the three are changed periodically, then a method of re-balancing is required. Personally, the stick on weights have never cause the paint to com off of any of the rims on my bikes.

jonnydangerous
27-07-11, 10:49 AM
KevinB means the "bang on" type that are a tight fit on the central raised rib of the wheel i think, they are very quick to do, but ruin the paint work...
id request the bike shop/tyre fitter to use stick on weights, they do leave a gummy mess thats hard to get off but dont take paint.

Blackandchrome
27-07-11, 12:20 PM
All balance weights I have had on the wheels have been stuck on.
When removed a bit of elbow grease and polish has restored the surface finish. (Chrome)
Maybe some wheels level of finish is inferior to others? :-?