PDA

View Full Version : Anybody had a Honda VTR1000 or Triumph TT600???

Nikki
29-07-11, 12:58 PM
I've decided to sell my old CBR1000f its a big barge like for me at slow speeds etc and I dont enjoy riding it as much as I should (love the torque once its on the open road though) - just wondered if anyone's ever had a VTR1000 or Triumph TT600 and what they thought of it. They both appeal to me being a bit lighter etc.

The bikes only used as my dry weather fun so being practical etc isnt a consideration. Taking a pillion ocassionally is though.

:)

njl
29-07-11, 06:36 PM
When I was considering a VTR1000 going against it was fuel economy and tank range. Think the suspension got better after the initial release.

Getting into riding a twin after a il4 did take me a while though, it'll either work for you or not, only way is to try. I didn't end up with a honda though and got an aprilia falco

Nikki
29-07-11, 08:25 PM
Thanks I'm going to see a VTR1000f tomorrow :)

What did you find was the biggest difference with the twin - engine braking I'm guessing??

Dabz
29-07-11, 08:25 PM
I had a tt600 for 5 years, until this spring. Good bike for learning on and it transformed my riding. Was good until I outgrew it - it needs to be thrashed to get any real performance out of it so be warned.

Nikki
29-07-11, 08:29 PM
Yep I think now having had a 1000cc and a 1200cc Bandit before that I'd get bored with a 600. Probably not my best idea....

Dabz
29-07-11, 08:52 PM
I went to the tt600 from a 1200 bandit, easily just as fun! Makes you less of a lazy rider relying on torque and better at using the gears

wraith
29-07-11, 09:43 PM
try also the Buel - TL1000 - SP1 / 2 etc.

njl
30-07-11, 12:53 AM
Thanks I'm going to see a VTR1000f tomorrow :)

What did you find was the biggest difference with the twin - engine braking I'm guessing??

Engine breaking, yes, also straight off a four cyl you find the rev limiter a lot when your going for it, not as much of a noticable powerband up top what you tend towrk with is 6-9k. My bike's not as wide with just a v twin in the frame.

470four
30-07-11, 07:31 AM
Did look at the Firestorms as I have a large history of Honda's as my weapon of choice...

18 litre tank on the early ones + 35mpg ::)

Just looks bland to be honest? Almost plastic? That left you with the SP1/2 which although an AWESOME bike would be deeply impractical/uncomfortable for pillions and also a thief magnet. >:(

That led me to the Doocat. :)

Comfortable around town & long distance, good pillion seat, easy to work on, good tank range, reliable (yes indeed. any Duke after 1993 will be just as good as the Jap stuff) OOOOOOOODLES of torques for overtaking & general thrapping around, an EPIC soundtrack and of course - THAT name...

More character than all the other Generic Plastic Missiles ;)

Dead chuffed.

470four
30-07-11, 07:32 AM
Did look at the Firestorms as I have a large history of Honda's as my weapon of choice...

18 litre tank on the early ones + 35mpg ::)

Just looks bland to be honest? Almost plastic? That left you with the SP1/2 which although an AWESOME bike would be deeply impractical/uncomfortable for pillions and also a thief magnet. >:(

That led me to the Doocat. :)

A 900SS - comfortable around town & long distance, good pillion seat, easy to work on, good tank range, reliable (yes indeed. any Duke after 1993 will be just as good as the Jap stuff) OOOOOOOODLES of torques for pillions, overtaking & general thrapping around, an EPIC soundtrack and of course - THAT name...

More character than all the other Generic Plastic Missiles ;)

Dead chuffed.

Davey
30-07-11, 11:59 AM
I loved my VTR and TL - small tank wasn't too much of an issue (bearing in mind my supermotos can go from full to empty in 35 miles!)

VTR was nice handling, enough grunt sounded awesome (ridiculous after my can chop) easily get spares and cheap to buy. Insurance was slightly higher than my fireblade??

TL - I know you didn't mention it but great twin - bigger tank - brutal performance and handling - ignore the widow maker history never had any issues on any of mine and only 1 had damper fitted. I did swap the rear shock for a maxton as it made major improvement to handling.

TT600 - dunno as never owned one but ridden a few and owners like then and seem to keep them so not all bad!

Si
30-07-11, 06:31 PM
TL!! Mine is a pussy cat!! ;)

Nikki
30-07-11, 10:49 PM
I've gone for a VTR1000 - didnt quite intend to get one so soon but these things just somehow happen!!

Bought it and rode it home today from Southampton and absolutely LOVE IT. What a fantastic fun bike to ride ;D

I was actually really glad I had to stop for fuel so soon gave me chance for the numb bum etc to recover.

Jon_W
01-08-11, 07:33 AM
Good one!! 8-)