PDA

View Full Version : 'Turpentine Substitute' on a bike?

Taylor911
31-07-11, 09:31 AM
I have glue from a sticker on my bike that is solid and won't come off.. Will turpentine melt the plastic?

Si
31-07-11, 09:36 AM
I have always been wary of Turps on the bike paintwork. I have in the past used WD40 or standard bug and tar remover both work really well. Dont let them dry keep it wet and rub gently with a soft cloth changing the area of the cloth regularly. Wash it well with hot soapy water afterwards and give it a polish! [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

wiltshire builders
31-07-11, 10:08 AM
I use a little white spirit on a soft cloth and gradually rub it off.

wiggy
31-07-11, 11:11 AM
Lighter fluid is ace aswell and wont harm plastics or painwork , just wax the area after for a superb finish .WORKS ON TAR ,OIL ,GREASE , GLUE , STICKERS, CLEANS METAL ,AND REMOVES SILICONE READY TO SPRAY WITHOUT THE RISK OF FISHEYE. and much more i allways have 4 or 5 cans about . :) ;)

Rabb
31-07-11, 01:55 PM
Lighter fluid gets my vote.
I've been using it for years on removing gums and glues from plastic & glass too - remove as soon as possible though!
Rabb.

Taylor911
31-07-11, 05:11 PM
Turps didnt work, or Vodka and when i tried a nail polish removed pad thing it didnt just take off the glue.. its took off half the screen... :(

wiggy
31-07-11, 07:25 PM
Turps didnt work, or Vodka and when i tried a nail polish removed pad thing it didnt just take off the glue.. its took off half the screen... :(
We did say lighter fluid , nail poilish remover is acitate based (spelling) will distroy paint plastic,s and some rubber ,decals .nail polish on a stone chip is fine removers NOT FINE .Shame its ruined the screen chap expencive lesson .Hope you get it sorted soon . ;)

jonnydangerous
01-08-11, 07:58 AM
"Rubbing alcahol" from the chemist would have been ok....

Davey
01-08-11, 08:35 PM
Use a hair dryer and heat it up - should peel off nicely and then use wd40 to clear up the remaining residue. That's what we use on the off roaders and their well stuck on