PDA

View Full Version : Best disc lock

Rabb
07-08-11, 08:08 PM
I have been looking at disc locks today.
I have been specifically looking at alarmed ones.
Has anyone got one? Which makes would you recommend?

All info greatly received.
Rabb.

BB
07-08-11, 08:35 PM
I used to have a Xena one, worked well. I let it go with the duke which was a bit daft as it was easily carried about. :-/

BB

Rabb
07-08-11, 10:46 PM
I used to have a Xena one, worked well. I let it go with the duke which was a bit daft as it was easily carried about. :-/

BB

I have looked at the xx series xena ones and they look like a quality product
- thanks for the input!
Rabb.

si-moffatt
07-08-11, 11:16 PM
I know my old man had a xena, really sensitive but not too much and the noise was piercing. I know I couldn't knick a bike making that noise.
I've got s. Oxford monster, no alarm but it is thacham rated (I think) and the insurance company accepted it

Jon_W
08-08-11, 07:54 AM
I've used an Oxford lock for years.... very robust.

crewy
08-08-11, 09:41 AM

I can second that, had mine since i was 16 (now 24) good product

Taylor911
08-08-11, 10:13 AM
Xena are really good.
Its an XR1, really loud alarm, very hard and sturdy.
Im pretty sure it will hold up well it it gets attacked.

Roxy
08-08-11, 11:25 AM
I have an ABUS Trigger 330 disc lock... not alarmed but very sturdy and well worth the extra pennies :)

Roxy

470four
08-08-11, 12:54 PM
Alarms are a marmite thing - you love them or hate them...

Me - not my thing... have two motrax disc locks and an Oxford one which have done me well?

Best to buy a good named brand rather than some Wongtongfong thing made out of old cans?

If anybody wants a bike alarm I have one I took off the CBR6 - 120db siren, Intellistart with two key fobs? Good working order (OH YES!) £tenner. Take it away, lol

Taylor911
08-08-11, 01:35 PM
What alarm is it exactly, 470?
I may be interested..

wiggy
08-08-11, 04:24 PM
Iuse a padlock on my disk if i feel i need to use one other than that its my silverline chain and chuffing mental lock ,insurance take it as other device and got £20 off for useing it , but i use a chubb padlock normaly . :)

470four
08-08-11, 05:53 PM
I may be interested..

Im not sure to be honest? Has no instructions or box etc, Emelyn on here would know as its his old bike? However having took it off I can tell you how it wires up!

I can get a pic to you if you want? PM me... :)

** If you do get a disc lock then I strongly recommend one of the curly yellow reminder leads - riding off with your disc lock still on your disc is both very embarrasing & potentially very expensive... ;)

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:02 PM
I may be interested..

Im not sure to be honest? Has no instructions or box etc, Emelyn on here would know as its his old bike? However having took it off I can tell you how it wires up!

I can get a pic to you if you want? PM me... :)

** If you do get a disc lock then I strongly recommend one of the curly yellow reminder leads - riding off with your disc lock still on your disc is both very embarrasing & potentially very expensive... ;)

Could be very expensive and embarrassing - I've already bought a dayglo yellow one so that I'm ready to go! :D

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:05 PM
I know my old man had a xena, really sensitive but not too much and the noise was piercing. I know I couldn't knick a bike making that noise.
I've got s. Oxford monster, no alarm but it is thacham rated (I think) and the insurance company accepted it

Thanks for the advice Si - I will take it on-board.
Rabb.

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:10 PM

I looked at a Motrax one (unalarmed) but a best buy (bike magazine)
(£39:95) - really wanted an anti-tamper alarm though.
I looked at an Oxford one too - however, the dealer didn't have the alarm version in the store.

Many Thanks for your input Jon
Rabb

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:14 PM

I can second that, had mine since i was 16 (now 24) good product

Thanks for the input - 8 Years for a lock is good!

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:21 PM
Xena are really good.
Its an XR1, really loud alarm, very hard and sturdy.
Im pretty sure it will hold up well it it gets attacked.

Thanks Taylor911
I've also looked at this one too and I must admit I am leaning towards the xena products - reviews are always good. I have seen how easy it is to 'bump' some of the cheaper locks (courtesy of U-Tube)
Rabb.

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:24 PM
I have an ABUS Trigger 330 disc lock... not alarmed but very sturdy and well worth the extra pennies :)

Roxy

Thanks Roxy.
I really like the Abus too - you always get what you pay for don't you!
I'll consider it for a few days!
Rabb.

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:27 PM
Alarms are a marmite thing - you love them or hate them...

Me - not my thing... have two motrax disc locks and an Oxford one which have done me well?

Best to buy a good named brand rather than some Wongtongfong thing made out of old cans?

If anybody wants a bike alarm I have one I took off the CBR6 - 120db siren, Intellistart with two key fobs? Good working order (OH YES!) £tenner. Take it away, lol

Wongtongfung thing really had me in stitches - TA!
I am leaning towards the xena
Thanks,
Rabb.

Rabb
08-08-11, 08:32 PM
Iuse a padlock on my disk if i feel i need to use one other than that its my silverline chain and chuffing mental lock ,insurance take it as other device and got £20 off for useing it , but i use a chubb padlock normaly . :)

Thanks Wiggy.
The more I look at locks on the Internet the more I think that I may have to have a side-car attached to my bike...................

For the Rottweiller that I will be carrying around with me!
......The things we have to do because of a few thieving tossers!
Rabb.

Mark_Able
08-08-11, 09:19 PM

Totally agree. I use a padlock too. Disc locks are a rip-off, far too pricey. A good quality padlock is a fraction of the price and does the same job. Some of the purpose made disc locks are really easy to break too. Save some wonga and get down B&Q... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

yamyam446
09-08-11, 04:41 PM
yess Ok Thank For You!

Rabb
09-08-11, 08:13 PM

Totally agree. I use a padlock too. Disc locks are a rip-off, far too pricey. A good quality padlock is a fraction of the price and does the same job. Some of the purpose made disc locks are really easy to break too. Save some wonga and get down B&Q... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Thanks Mark - I will take your advice and have a look at what B&Q have to offer.
Rabb.

Mitch9128
09-08-11, 08:52 PM
Got one of these http://www.ghostbikes.com/products/1696-oxford-nemesis-disc-lock-.html spankers, yours £30.

wiggy
09-08-11, 09:37 PM
Yer theres scum everywhere these days disk lock or any lock wont stop them if they want it bad enough there just a deterent , hope you get sorted chap . :)

Rabb
09-08-11, 09:49 PM
What I really need is a chain and lock that is made from a tungsten carbide
Cobalt alloy - there isn't one!
Back to the drawing board!
Rabb.

Jon_W
10-08-11, 07:56 AM
What I really need is a chain and lock that is made from a tungsten carbide
Cobalt alloy - there isn't one!
Back to the drawing board!
Rabb.

Just never loose your keys..... ;D

Taylor911
10-08-11, 09:05 AM
Only problem with bolt/padlock style is you can see the part that protects it.
With the xena one I posted you have very thick mental and the part that actually protects it, the metal pin, isn't exposed.
+ as soon as you touch it the alarm goes off.. And the sensitivity can be adjusted by where on the disk you place it.

Marmalade
11-08-11, 01:26 PM
I use an oxford boss on one bike and the other i've got an oxford boss alarm, really thick and sturdy, makes me happier to leave it outside hotels etc along with the chain i use on the back.
Also went with one of those N Cook alarms off ebay for twenty quid, never had any issues at all with their alarms and it's at least some more protection that doesn't cost silly money

Rabb
11-08-11, 10:29 PM
I use an oxford boss on one bike and the other i've got an oxford boss alarm, really thick and sturdy, makes me happier to leave it outside hotels etc along with the chain i use on the back.
Also went with one of those N Cook alarms off ebay for twenty quid, never had any issues at all with their alarms and it's at least some more protection that doesn't cost silly money

I have a N Cook alarm - fitted it a couple of months back.
Rabb

YMFB
12-08-11, 02:11 PM
I used to use one of those you could open with an biro ! As most bike thefts seem to be scrotes ilifting them into vans with the alarms going, I considered replacing it a waste of money.

I have considered that a tracker and smart water would probably be a better bet.

Rabb
12-08-11, 11:23 PM
I used to use one of those you could open with an biro ! As most bike thefts seem to be scrotes ilifting them into vans with the alarms going, I considered replacing it a waste of money.

I have considered that a tracker and smart water would probably be a better bet.

I intend to park my bike in a low level multi storey - because of a height restriction.