PDA

View Full Version : Number plate

Fez
13-08-11, 04:36 PM
Anyone know somewhere local that does smaller better looking number plates?

Want to go as small as I can realistically get away with and with no dealer logos on.

njl
13-08-11, 04:44 PM
I found eBay quick and simple, djhplates was the seller I've used but both times arrived 1 or 2 days after. Bear in mind lack of border and no dealer text makes it non road legal on top of the size, I opted for some text at the bottom so not as obvious.

Fez
13-08-11, 04:47 PM
How small did you go?

njl
13-08-11, 05:30 PM
I just went to the 8 x 6 to be honest, felt it would save me getting pulled for the plate inself, so far so good

470four
13-08-11, 07:02 PM
I just went to the 8 x 6 to be honest, felt it would save me getting pulled for the plate inself, so far so good

Agreed an 8 x 6 with standard looking text wont get more than a first glance, anything smaller is asking for trouble!

My CBR400RR looked ridiculous with a 9 x 7 plate, thankfully this only happened for one day a year.... :D

newnut
13-08-11, 07:13 PM
im runnin on a letter box plate. definately not legal. got it from blackbush market when i was there. bought 4 plates from the guy up there, he will make it however you want it in about 5 mins. tenner i think they are. anything below regulation size AND text WILL get you pulled if your near a w&*$%&er copper. its jus down to luck how long you get away with it. granted I'm more likely to get pulled than someone with a say 7x5. occasionally you'll get the bill sitting at bike events where plate size is top of their agenda,if yours isnt spot on size wise you'll get done for no plate regardless of size

8x6 with standard lettering is the best for not getting pulled with (as stated by those above.

470four
13-08-11, 07:54 PM
If we all fit 8 x 6 plates then the public will take this as the norm & we wont have to drag around a huge numberplate that nobody will be able to read in 2 seconds anyway??

BWWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! :D ;D

HensonA
14-08-11, 12:43 AM
Anyone know somewhere local that does smaller better looking number plates?

Want to go as small as I can realistically get away with and with no dealer logos on.
.. why "want" a non-legal plate...???? :o

Ryan
14-08-11, 01:48 AM
ebay is the way! 10er delivered, i went one inch width and heigh smaller than the legal size forgot what this is?

Hunar
14-08-11, 11:01 AM
I believe that the police are told by some guidelines or other that if the plate can be read clearly from 20 feet (I think) then they can use their discretion, which is probably why the 8x6 plates draw less attention.

I think most plod work by this guideline, if their ANPR camera can read the plate and the road side 'safety camera' get a clear shot if you go through at speed then it's not really a huge issue for them. Of course you will get the odd bad apple, like our friend Mr Williamson, who will fine you if your letters are even 5mm shorter than they should be, on an other wise legal plate, but I think these are few and far between, and are hated as much by their fellow officers as they are by us, they get the hassle from annoyed motorists that he has stopped and booked for really trivial things.

Personally a legal sized plate doesn't bother me, it's just something that HAS to be there, so don't stress about it, I'd rather not give the bad apples an excuse to fine me, quite apart from the fact that I can't afford to pay the fine if got one. ;D ;D ;D

newnut
14-08-11, 11:19 AM
main reason is for the look! more so on a sports/race rep type bike, the sleek looks of the bike we love are ruined by the gigantic bill board. simular to why some change to mini indicators or flush fit, those massive amber blocks on the end of hidious arms look terrible on a sports bike.

Ducatista
14-08-11, 03:16 PM
simular to why some change to mini indicators or flush fit, those massive amber blocks on the end of hidious arms look terrible on a sports bike.

Yeah, much better that you look cool than any other motorist actually sees your indicators ::)

470four
14-08-11, 05:27 PM
main reason is for the look! more so on a sports/race rep type bike, the sleek looks of the bike we love are ruined by the gigantic bill board. simular to why some change to mini indicators or flush fit, those massive amber blocks on the end of hidious arms look terrible on a sports bike.

+1

Mini indicators? If the car driver is that far behind you to see them anyway then fair play. Most of the time they dont even see the entire fkn motorcycle, never mind the indicators! :P

newnut
14-08-11, 05:32 PM
simular to why some change to mini indicators or flush fit, those massive amber blocks on the end of hidious arms look terrible on a sports bike.

Yeah, much better that you look cool than any other motorist actually sees your indicators ::)

looking forward to seeing your new super size safety custom blinkers at the next meet then. maybe you should have a flashing beacon on your head too seeing as your so safety conscious. ;D ;D ;D

BB
14-08-11, 08:10 PM

looking forward to seeing your new super size safety custom blinkers at the next meet then. maybe you should have a flashing beacon on your head too seeing as your so safety conscious. ;D ;D ;D

Good to see you finished your comment with the smileys. ;) Each to their own as long as you realise that smaller indicators are harder to see.

As a long time motorcyclist I have to hold up my hand to nearly taking out a bike when driving the car one time due to the dinky little indicators he/she had on the bike. I simply didn't see them flashing as it was a sunny day and the road positioning seeming to indicate they were doing something else entirely.

Obviously it would have been totally my fault as the baddy car driver and not the spotty yoof in a odd place to make a turn with very pretty discreet, itty bitty almost invisible indicators in bright sunlight....

Fortunately for them my radar/prat alert kicked in and I missed him. :P

BB

Ducatista
14-08-11, 08:17 PM
Yep agree - each to their own - I'm all for personal choice.

I'm afraid I don't come to meets much as I'm too tied up with bike safety activities.

I'm afraid that sometimes it doesn't matter how visible you are. Even police riders with blues and twos have gone unnoticed, so you still need to have your wits about you whatever kit you have.
I've several times seen people pulling out without even turning their head in my direction so it wouldn't have made any difference if I had been driving a pink bus.

Just be aware as BB says they are less noticeable so looking cool can reduce your safety margin.

Green Man
14-08-11, 08:43 PM
Just be aware as BB says they are less noticeable so looking cool can reduce your safety margin.[/quote]

Totally agree when on a bike i wont to be seen so biger the better ;)

470four
14-08-11, 08:43 PM
Was in Bristol in the car two weeks ago - mostly lost & improvising...

Approaching a roundabout I made a Wrong Choice and needed to be in the other lane??!

Stopped in the wrong lane, a quick look to my left revealed the lane was empty. :-/

I quickly checked both mirrors, clicked the indicator on and as I went to swing the wheel a black bike & rider zoomed past on my left. Five seconds later and I would have smacked him/her off, needless to say I ride bikes myself & should have known better??

Eeek. :(

newnut
14-08-11, 10:08 PM
i agree with you all and the comment was tongue in cheek, i always ride as if i haven't been seen and im ready for emergency action at every junction and roundabout. hope you didn't take offense ducatista.
it could work both ways, if you have tiny indicators and leave it on by accident it may save your life if people cant see it! lol, straw clutching!!! I ALWAYS ride with my headlights on to aid being seen. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Ducatista
14-08-11, 10:18 PM
hope you didn't take offense ducatista

No course not :)
People are allowed to have different views.