PDA

View Full Version : Future Ride-Outs !

Gerry
15-08-11, 05:38 PM
I’m sure this has been talked over before, but fun though yesterdays ride-out was (thank you Rosie) it did throw up some difficulties.

There are a couple of issues that might easily be rectified, the main thing is that it’s great that the club has so many people who want to get together at the weekends, go for a ride and have an eat / drink and a natter together.

The difficulties are made worse by bigger numbers on ride-outs, which leads to both a wider range of experience, bikes and needs. I say needs, as some like to have a nice ride through the countryside and take in the lovely surroundings and some want to hoon around and look at the tarmac in front of them. Each to their own, I love being in open countryside and can walk for hours, on a bike, I like a little hoon ;)

It would be easy to say, OK, lets have two different ride-outs, but that would deprive me of the company I like when we stop at the other end. You are a great bunch and I love to have a natter to you all, not just fellow hooners !

As has been said before, I think we should give splitting the ride-outs at the meeting place with the faster riders going on first and all meeting at the other end. On longer meets, we could arrange a meeting point half way or so.

This would make both parts of the ride more enjoyable for everybody, as the newer members won’t be put off by quick overtakes etc and the faster group can keep to the bigger, faster roads and avoid wrist ache etc.

On the second point that yesterday threw up, I would suggest, again on bigger ride outs, that a stopping point about twenty minutes from home be the “official” end to the meet.
With bigger numbers you are bound to get many people wanting to leave the group and head home or elsewhere and it must be hell for the back marker to keep an eye on everybody - even if people tell him (which they don’t always).

If the last stop was say at Shaftesbury yesterday, then those who wanted to go back into town together could, and those who didn’t could turn off. Plus Graeme could relax and have a twenty minute blat at the front for a change.

Sorry for a long post, but I think it’s an important topic.

Over to you…

G :)

NoYou
15-08-11, 05:52 PM
Tis a good idea however a slight problem I can foresee is people who want to have a more focused ride or "hoon" as you put it , but aren't hugely fast/confident riders or have a bike that won't be able to do the speeds that the bigger bikes can (I.e me! :P) I don't want to go on a bimble through villages but imy bike doesn't have the pace to keep up if your blating around everywhere at 120.
Might not be a problem so long as people don't mind waiting an extra few mins marking the junctions etc. Just a thought!
Still gets a big :thumbsup: from me!

Scotty
15-08-11, 06:06 PM
Good points all round. Something that makes things difficult on a day like yesterday is simply the sheer number of bikes involved - do the Police need to be informed if a certain number of vehicles are proceeding together? I marked the first roundabout after the services and although we'd only been en route for a couple of minutes I must have been there for a full five minutes before Graeme finally came along - lord knows what it was like later on in the ride... :-?
As a possible alternative to Gerry's suggestion... if anticipated numbers are high, why not have several start points with a common destination? That way there's the social aspect at the end of the ride, but people from far and wide don't need to converge on a single departure point (normally in the Trowbridge area! ::))

NoYou
15-08-11, 06:31 PM
Not sure that would be the same to be honest scotty, one of the things i love about riding with a larger group on organized rides is i don't have to worry about how I'm going to get where I'm going i can just enjoy the roads knowing there will be somebody waiting at the next turn off and i'll end up at a nice place at the end of it, by having people meeting in smaller groups and making their own way, it's no different to just meeting up with a few mates and going out for a blat, in fact it is probably worse because instead of just going round not really worrying about where your going so long as you can find your way back you would then have to try and find your way to another meeting point. The good thing about Trowbridge meeting is its a fairly central point for most people.
If the size of the group is getting to be a problem then a good solution may be to have a scenic group and a progressive group, or however you want to split it up, the scenic group could set out half hour earlier or so depending on how different in length the different routes would be etc. and then the progressive group could set off after, that way the groups are smaller so we don't disrupt the traffic too badly and the two groups will arrive at the final destination at more similar times.

Dabz
15-08-11, 06:58 PM
There's a simple answer which the faster riders won't like but has always been the view of the management...

Wb rides will be sensibly paced and designed for all riders of all abilities including those on small capacity bikes. Those with fast sports bikes who want to ride fast need to organise their own rides.

we simply can't be seen as a group to organise rides which set out to be fast, or have a fast group (whether you call it fast, progressive, fun, or whatever). We have too much to lose if we get a bad rep with the police

Snowy
15-08-11, 07:39 PM
OK, for what its worth. On Official monthly rideouts:

I think these must cater for all sizes of bike and all abilities. There are plenty of other rideout opportunities throughout the month for faster, or slower paced smaller rides.

If you sign up to go on the Official rideout you are doing so in the knowledge that on a big ride there will be some waiting involved marking junctions. This cannot be helped and will happen irrespective of the pace the lead bike takes.

The lead bike has to take a responsible view on pace setting according to their own comfort zone and the needs of all the riders involved. Officially the National Speed Limit should apply for the pace set not "efficiently progressive". I have led rides of both kinds and it makes surprisingly little difference to junction waiting times. Its the group size that makes the most difference together with prevailing road conditions.

I agree very much with Gerry in that the official rideout day is a social event as well as a rideout and I would like to at least keep to the same format in that we start together and finish together.

As lead bike, I would have no objection whatsoever if a group of more "efficiently progressive" riders decided to leave the starting point and head off on their own to the destination.
But, I would get seriously hacked off if they just took off and did so during a ride without informing the lead bike. That's just courtesy.

I like Gerry's idea of having an agreed and known about stop/rest/pee break for the way down and the way back. That way, should there be a seperate "unofficial" group that goes down first the option is there to meet up and natter. It does require more planning by the lead bike and not getting lost either as well as sticking to a schedule, but hey ho, you can't have everything.

We need to cater for new as well as experienced members to our rideouts and not pressurise anyone into riding outside of their comfort zone.

I think we could come up with some short common sense guidelines on marking and general rideout etiquette to supplement Hunars excellent war & peace intro to group riding. Just the basics - and this can be put at the start of each rideout thread. This way, the new riders can get an idea of the most important things they are expected to do which will make the lead and backmarkers jobs that much easier on the day and enforce the full set of rules.

Can I also add, that an official rideout was my first experience with WB all those years ago. I had never been on a group ride before and did not have a clue. Even as an experienced rider it was quite daunting and it took several attempts before I even marked a junction. If I take a look back and remember how I felt then, its useful to remember how the newer members feel today. Lets take that into account.

The group rides have also taught me a lot about riding with others and is a skill not to underestimate. Its also given me the opportunity to meet a whole new bunch of friends which is why the social side is important to retain. But the rides are getting bigger which bring a new set of issues. I don't know the legal side with large groups and as one who often wears the Hi Viz on a group ride, I am a little concerned over my liabilities - if there are any, over what happens on a rideout. But I don't want to do the slow, side by side, in a line some other groups prefer thats for sure.

wiggy
15-08-11, 07:55 PM
I go at my own pace, and not going to even try to keep up with the fast bikes,thats if i get to go out at all as i work weekends and you leave before i finish.

redken1
15-08-11, 08:25 PM
I know I have not attended many rides of late but, James is right. I think it would be very unwise for WB to organise an official ride split into two groups with any hint or suggestion that the second group was in place to accommodate those who wished to ride at a faster pace.

I don't wish to sound like a party pooper but, the implications are obvious. When I like to get a bit of pace on (safely and within the legal limits of course) I ride alone or on unofficial rides.

wiltshire builders
15-08-11, 09:10 PM
I like the current set up. I don't like going flat out for long periods so it is nice to have a couple of minutes to stretch while marking a junction.
I do object to the people who've complained before about 'dangerous riding'
If you get startled by someone passing you, some of the blame lies with you. When riding in a group you should always beaware of the other bikes around you. Obviously if someone 'buzzes' you then they're an idiot but I don't think we've got many of them on ride outs.
Perhaps a limit should be set and participation is on a first come first served basis. If your name isn't down, you're not coming so to speak and you can arange your own ride with other members.

Snowy
15-08-11, 09:43 PM
I know I have not attended many rides of late but, James is right. I think it would be very unwise for WB to organise an official ride split into two groups with any hint or suggestion that the second group was in place to accommodate those who wished to ride at a faster pace.

I don't wish to sound like a party pooper but, the implications are obvious. When I like to get a bit of pace on (safely and within the legal limits of course) I ride alone or on unofficial rides.

I would agree with that Ken, the official ride stays as is. But there would be nothing wrong in my view if a few decided the ride was too big in numbers for them and disappear off on their own, but they could end up at the same destination for a social bimble or a halfway point. This can be done now anyway - just not quite so "upfront".

I don't agree with limiting numbers, but I think Rosie and I were a little daunted with the ride's size yesterday and a few heading off seperately would have helped in some ways. Its not so much the difficulty of managing a large group - but we all want everyone to enjoy the day out and with so many sets of expectations this can prove difficult.

As the "Official Rideout" then common sense has to prevail and doing it "within the rules" so to speak is a necessity. I think this should be accepted if the ride has a HiViz at the front and at the back. Outside of that its not official and is a bunch of mates that happen to be going to the same place. I personally think thats a good compromise.

Dabz
15-08-11, 10:31 PM
Sounds spot on to me. It also shows what a great job our leaders and back markers do - it's not simply a case of riding and letting people follow, or playing catch-up at the back, it's a constant job of watching the pace, keeping an eye on the group riders, dropping and picking up markers...

Gerry
15-08-11, 10:36 PM
Some good points above, good to have your point of view Graeme, as often you look after us at the rear.

Most points above relate to speed, which wasn't my whole focus, it's also the route taken. I suspect no matter what we do, 95% of people won't ride faster or slower than they do now.
My aim was to just make the ride-outs more enjoyable for everybody.
G30 mentioned a "scenic route" perhaps, maybe this would be helpful, a scenic route and a direct route to the destination.
This would help the pain of riding down long slow B roads in 35 MPH convoys, which on a sports bike is not only not fun, it's painful !
Alternatively, I could use it as an excuse to buy an off roader and use that ;)

Roxy
15-08-11, 11:25 PM
When I joined WB 2 years ago, the first ride out I did was down to Poole with about 15 others. It was enjoyable but it was also pretty hard riding with people I was not use to. I had done quite a few ride outs with Bath Classic (on modern bikes!) and these guys have been riding for hundreds of years (no offence Dad, BB etc) so I felt completely safe and very comfortable with them, from the slow plodders to the super quick ones (yes they can ride quick!) they are all experienced riders. They too use the marker system which is 99% faultless. Here we have more people, some with bagfuls of skill and experience and some with none (not forgetting the ones who think they have experience and skill but don’t!) It is almost impossible to please everyone with a ride out that we are all happy with considering we are all so different and new people are joining all the time with different levels of skill and what they want from a ride out.

Like Gerry said, some people like to potter and enjoy the scenery and some like to ‘hoon’. Nothing wrong with either of these views or styles of riding but to be perfectly honest the two do not mix very well at all and you end up getting into the arguement of ‘he/she was riding like a cock (in their eyes) or he/she was a danger to others due to the slow speed and general unawareness’ (in their eyes), or 'that road was crap, I hated it and it was unsuitable for my bike'... the list of complaints is endless and I have complained about people/roads in the past due to one thing or another so I know it goes on. The ride outs have such a diverse range of abilities and expectations that one persons overtake is another persons view of riding like a cock or one persons lane position on a RoB is another persons hazard, some people like to roll along gently for the view and others like to play, it’s what makes us all bike enthusiasts.

Rosie posted up about Sundays ride out and so in my eyes, when I read it, I thought it would be more of a ‘potter’ than a ‘hoon’ (no offence intended please Rosie). I came to that conclusion because I know how Rosie rides and the type of speeds she is comfortable with. I then decided that I would like to join the ride knowing that it was going to be a slower paced ride to the ones I generally prefer but I was still very happy to go. You only get this knowledge by riding with people over the course of time so it can be hard for newbies (slow and fast) to judge as to whether the ride out is their pace or not but for those of us who have been members for a while its common knowledge and you make that decision when you put you name of the list. If you don’t like the pace don’t go! (that’s to old members and not new ones of course)

I had the exact same problem last year, a ride out was arranged but at the meeting point we had no leader (due to bike problems) and after asking if anyone else wanted to lead and getting no response I reluctantly said I would rather than the whole thing being cancelled. Now I am not that quick but I am also not that slow so when I heard someone complain that it was ‘too fast’ my response was simple…if you wanted to go at your pace then volunteer to lead (it’s not really that hard) thus keeping the speed down or go on your own ride out, if you feel like it is ‘too fast’ and you are constantly trying to ‘keep up’ then you are pushing yourself out of your comfort zone which is dangerous… the marker system is in place that everyone can go at their own speed and not be left behind … Don’t sit on the side lines, do nothing and then moan about it when you don’t like it. We all have the choice to either go on a ride out or not but you have to accept that some ride outs are slower/faster than others.

With regard to the route, that is a really tricky one. I too hate bumpy/lumpy/ grassy/gravel/sheep filled etc etc B roads, they kill me and my Ars6 but unless we get to the point of posting up the route and then having to work 2 out, I for one would hate to have to ‘plan’ a route that I have no intention of taking my sports bike on just in case peeps turn up who want to go that way?? So the whole 2 routes thing is pointless IMO. You see who is leading, you make a decision and then you go with it or arrange with others to do your own thing on the day.

The ‘Official’ ride outs, in my opinion, should stay the way they are. They are set to encourage people to come out and ride, to give confidence to new riders and to help people with riding in groups. They are a great way of getting to know how others ride and they are enjoyable. From there you can pick and choose as to who you like riding with if their style and pace is similar to yours and then arrange your own little ride outs. Nothing wrong with that at all and it is something I think should be encouraged to stop the mass ride outs with over 30 bikes on which I think is too many!!! The common fact is that the ‘Official’ Ride out is suitable for riders who like a good easy pace, nothing to worry about, it’s relaxed and a good way to join in. If, like on Sunday, there were lots of bikes, I really think it’s a good idea for those of us who prefer to scoot along to sort it out on the day and if we want to go on ahead it’s fine. We can always meet up with the others at the destination but if you choose to go along with the main group you have to accept that it will be at the leaders pace.

Easy peasy lemon squeezy! ;D

Roxy x

Jon_W
16-08-11, 07:53 AM
There's a simple answer which the faster riders won't like but has always been the view of the management...

Wb rides will be sensibly paced and designed for all riders of all abilities including those on small capacity bikes. Those with fast sports bikes who want to ride fast need to organise their own rides.

we simply can't be seen as a group to organise rides which set out to be fast, or have a fast group (whether you call it fast, progressive, fun, or whatever). We have too much to lose if we get a bad rep with the police

Absolutely, well said Dabz.

Rideouts to me are about seeing new roads, new bits of scenery, and being with friends. If I want to go a-hundred-and-plenty mph, I'll do that by myself. I think people need to realise that by nature, rideouts with large groups will be slower. Is the simple rule of having that many vehicle in close proximity to each other. As to the routes, why stick to the a roads. We all ride them all the time.... have an adventure. ;)

Nelly
16-08-11, 08:31 AM
I’ll go along with a lot of the comments on this thread so far. I can’t honestly see a way of changing things to make it any better. We have seen quite a lot of people come “through the ranks” so to speak from first taking their CBT on to getting a full license, upgrading a bigger bike and gaining confidence and I believe a lot of that is made possible by the “official” group ride.
WB is a huge diverse group of people from many backgrounds and walks of life. The one thing they have in common is a love of Bikes. Some choose to ride cruisers, some choose hyper-sports. Horses for courses. You’re hardly likely to buy a ZX10 if you don’t like going fast are you? ;D Some people like to motor along and some prefer a more gentle pace and some (like me) feel like both. I think that’s what makes WB special. It’s open to all. I am always prepared to ride at a steady pace when signing up to an “official” ride as I am pretty certain that there will be anything from 125’s to 1000cc plus on the ride. I tend not to blat along when in an official ride but to sit with the pack until the roads open out so I get to stretch the legs a bit. But, if do fancy a “hoon” one day then I generally take to the roads on my own. That way I know, I’m not holding any one up or conversely losing anyone either. I do actually enjoy looking after newbie’s and the slower paced on official rideouts so it sort of suits me anyway. Plus the good thing about following a leader rider is that more often than not you end up on roads you’ve never ridden before and see routes that you didn’t know existed. So fair play to Rosie, Hunar and the like who are happy leading rides.
I know that, having done it many times myself, that back marking can be a tough job at times. You really do have to have eyes in every corner of your helmet in order to understand what is going on in front of you.
Keep it as it is. It seems to have worked pretty well so far. However, having said that, if the groups do get any bigger, things may have to be looked at again. I don’t think at present we are going to bother anyone in authority as to the size of the groups. Effectively WB rideouts do not close roads or block junctions. I think people only get really concerned if we were to all follow each other in convoy. At present a 30+ bike ride is essentially 30 people on an individual ride, occasionally spread across several miles. Having said that, our friends at the Wiltshire Constabulary are very aware of what we are doing. I was speaking to a serving officer earlier in the year and he told me first hand that the boys and girls in blue DO read the forum. They know when the rideouts are starting from, they know where we are going and they know how many. The particular officer shared with me the fact that we aren’t really on their radar. They know that, in general, we look after our machines, we wear the proper kit, and we have tax/Insurance/MOT etc. However, this of course brings a note of caution. If we were to advertise that people are off for a hoon, you might find a couple of friendlies hidden in the bush somewhere!
30+ bikes travelling to the same destination will always draw attention from all quarters. You only had to be on Swanage seafront on Sunday to see the amount of people that were looking and admiring the mass of gleaming chrome, steel and rubber parked on the path. They stop when we arrive and they stopped and watched when we leave. What we have to remember is that not only do the lead and backmarker wear the name www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk on their back for all so see, but many of us have T-Shirts, Hoodies, and stickers on our bikes and helmets. The admiration of the gleaming machines will quickly disappear if you cut that admirer up two hours later on the way home on double white lines heading for a sharp bend. But he will remember the www.wiltshirebikers.co.uk that you were displaying earlier. He may be a street cleaner from Bristol but then again he could quite possibly be the Chief Constable of Hampshire’s finest. If he is, you can guarantee that he will be on the phone to his neighbouring CC at the earliest opportunity. Hence, on the two occasions when I have been tugged whilst out on my solo hoons in the recent past, I have deliberately added distance between me and any club or forum by hiding the stickers on the bike or helmet when chatting to the said officer ;) What I’m trying to say is that if we have advertised "hoons", we are going to attract the wrong type of attention and get ourselves on the radar. Something that I don’t think we want.
Let’s keep the rideouts as is. And if an “unofficial” one comes up and you wonder whether it’s a fast or slow ride? Find out what sort of bike the organiser or leader has, that’ll be a pretty good clue ;)

Have a nice day y'all 8-)

SueZX4
16-08-11, 08:48 AM
I'm not making excuses for us slow smaller bike newbies, but the law is tougher for us on speeding then more experienced riders. If we get caught speeding I think only twice in the first year we get to retake both parts of our test. Yippee. Personally don't want to do that! Yes there were a lot of bikes Sunday, which can be intimidating but it's something you get used to and is great to meet so many good people and is good fun. I'm sorry if people like me were holding others up. The ride was posted as 125 friendly, so thought I would be fine on my 400, at the time I felt I was keeping up with the pace and I enjoyed it. Feel abit disheartened now that some people felt the ride was too slow. :-/

Nelly
16-08-11, 08:52 AM
I'm not making excuses for us slow smaller bike newbies, but the law is tougher for us on speeding then more experienced riders. If we get caught speeding I think only twice in the first year we get to retake both parts of our test. Yippee. Personally don't want to do that! Yes there were a lot of bikes Sunday, which can be intimidating but it's something you get used to and is great to meet so many good people and is good fun. I'm sorry if people like me were holding others up. The ride was posted as 125 friendly, so thought I would be fine on my 400, at the time I felt I was keeping up with the pace and I enjoyed it. Feel abit disheartened now that some people felt the ride was too slow. :-/

I don't think anyone was saying that the riders were too slow Sue. It's nice to see people like you fitting in. The route had a slower pace pace because of the route, not the riders. :)

470four
16-08-11, 08:56 AM

Sue - DONT WORRY!
Thirty-eight - odd riders will mean many different bike types and many different riders - I was happy enough pootling in the middle somewhere? We have to reach a happy average for everybody, ride at your own pace, nobody is forcing you to pin it everywhere... :)

As already mentioned - if there is a "fast" group that want to ride on ahead sperately, then let them go! Means they get to free up their testosterone problem without granting us some truly unique & downright dangerous overtaking on their way back up to the front after marking... ::) I would rather ride with somebody steady and safe than some Hothead on the edge.

Roxy
16-08-11, 10:04 AM

Sue - please don't worry about the faster riders or that fact that some think it was too slow. The ride was suitable for all levels, all cc's, speeds and abilities and that's the way Rosie posted up so you were spot on to join and to enjoy it :).

If a faster rider wants to get past they will, as long as you are aware of them on the road and be aware they may be overtaking if they have just marked a junction, you just keep a check on your mirrors, move over to the left to give them a bit of room if you do see them, you know where they are. :)

Riding in a group can be tricky but what you have to remember is you are all entitled to be there.

Some slower inexperianced riders on smaller bikes can sometimes get into the habit of what I call 'lemming syndrome' (I did this when I first started because I was so nervous of riding in a group) where they settle into a pace that is comfortable and they just follow the person in front of them and can sometimes switch off to what is going on around them. I am not saying that is what all people do but it does happen sometimes. When a faster rider goes past they can startle them or they pull out to overtake without checking mirrors to find they have a sports bike 'up thier chuff' :o..there are so many things that can happen when you mix slow/fast but if everyone is aware of the other riders it eliminates alot of the problems.

Please please don't feel like you held anyone up, you certainly didn't and thats not the issue at all. The ride worked very well considering the amount of riders there on sunday.

Hope to see you again on a ride out! :)

Roxy x :)

JayP
16-08-11, 10:25 AM
As a newbie I'm probably not really qualified to post on this but here's my two penneth anyway. My view is if it aint broke don't fix it. It sounds as if the current system has worked well for some time and that Sunday's numbers were a bit of a freak event. If similar numbers are reached on the next couple of ride outs maybe something does need to change, if not, maybe this is a bit of a storm in a teacup? That was my first ride out and from my perspective it was great. I read the rideout 'rules' before I went, and Rosie reiterated the point about looking out for faster riders and letting them pass. It was a good lesson in blindspots for me, after I nearly moved into the path of one of the said fast overtaking bikes - I only did it once and made bloody sure I kept a good check in my mirrors thereafter. Maybe I overcompensated a bit because at times it felt like I was spending more time looking behind me than in front! I really enjoyed being part of a big group. I also valued being behind more experienced riders so I could watch the lines they took and so on. Keeping things as they are but allowing faster riders to form a splinter group having first informed the lead rider sounds like a good compromise to me.

Gerry
16-08-11, 11:23 AM
Dear Sue,

As the culprit who started the thread I feel I ought to reiterate the point I was making and assure you that I was in no way unhappy with anybody in the group on any bike.

I’m far from being the quickest or most able rider in the group, and it was only two years ago that I was a new wobbler and really grateful of both the sensible pace and the great marker system.

I also remember the “surprises” I got when a big bike flew by me when I wasn’t expecting it (and as a newbie, it’s not often you are expecting it, as 99% of your focus is on what’s happening in front of you).

I was simply looking for a way of making our bigger ride-outs more fun for everybody involved, both the ones that like to press on down A roads, the ones that like to cruise on the lanes and all of us who like a natter at the other end.

It’s absolutely brilliant that we get new people in the club and as an ardent WB recruiter I’m really pleased when they join us on ride outs.

Part of what I was looking to do was to organise what’s happened before and what happened at the weekend, a split up of the group (OK, mainly so the buggers won’t go without me whilst I’m messing about in the car park) :-/

------

At the other end of the spectrum, I didn’t start this thread for anybody to knock other peoples riding, I’ve seen equally suspect overtakes from slower, as well as quicker riders - being honest, I’ve done them myself and put it down to my inexperience and youthful enthusiasm, and I hope I learn from them.
My dear Dad used to say “you get old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but you don’t get old, bold motorcyclists” and I keep these words in mind (and he still reads the forum sometimes) :)

Nelly, good point about “The Law” I’ve often suspected a tall guy on a Daytona was an undercover FBI type, I remember in Wales he was trying to get me to go over 60 so he could pounce - but I resisted 8-)

Gerry :)

Roxy
16-08-11, 11:29 AM
Dear Sue,

As the culprit who started the thread I feel I ought to reiterate the point I was making and assure you that I was in no way unhappy with anybody in the group on any bike.

I’m far from being the quickest or most able rider in the group, and it was only two years ago that I was a new wobbler and really grateful of both the sensible pace and the great marker system.

I also remember the “surprises” I got when a big bike flew by me when I wasn’t expecting it (and as a newbie, it’s not often you are expecting it, as 99% of your focus is on what’s happening in front of you).

I was simply looking for a way of making our bigger ride-outs more fun for everybody involved, both the ones that like to press on down A roads, the ones that like to cruise on the lanes and all of us who like a natter at the other end.

It’s absolutely brilliant that we get new people in the club and as an ardent WB recruiter I’m really pleased when they join us on ride outs.

Part of what I was looking to do was to organise what’s happened before and what happened at the weekend, a split up of the group (OK, mainly so the buggers won’t go without me whilst I’m messing about in the car park) :-/

------

At the other end of the spectrum, I didn’t start this thread for anybody to knock other peoples riding, I’ve seen equally suspect overtakes from slower, as well as quicker riders - being honest, I’ve done them myself and put it down to my inexperience and youthful enthusiasm, and I hope I learn from them.
My dear Dad used to say “you get old motorcyclists and bold motorcyclists, but you don’t get old, bold motorcyclists” and I keep these words in mind (and he still reads the forum sometimes) :)

Nelly, good point about “The Law” I’ve often suspected a tall guy on a Daytona was an undercover FBI type, I remember in Wales he was trying to get me to go over 60 so he could pounce - but I resisted 8-)

Gerry :)

No harm done at all G, it's good to have a chat about these things and try to find solutions and listen to others peoples PoV. We all love our bikes, big or small, fast or slow, makes no difference! ;)

Sue - see you soon!

Roxy x
ps..G you need to stop 'faffing' in the car park then ;D, I said I was leaving and told Rosie & Graeme...keep a closer eye on the Ars6 and you wont get left behind ;) ;)!!! xxx

Col
16-08-11, 11:44 AM
2p worth

If you are on a club rideout it should be taken as read that you are going to behave in a responsible manner with due regard to 'etiquette' when riding within the group. It is a rideout not a race.

If you are joining in with expectations to ride like a wannabe Rossi and want to show off your 'expertise with wrist' I think the majority will confirm that you are indeed a total wanker :-*

Gerry
16-08-11, 11:49 AM
Col, Thank you for your imput, I'm sure that will slow down them darn speeders :-/

K... I will heed your words and keep a very close eye on your Ars6 on future ride-outs ;)

G

Roxy
16-08-11, 11:51 AM
K... I will heed your words and keep a very close eye on your Ars6 on future ride-outs ;)

G

;D ;D Nutter! ;D ;D

Nokesy
16-08-11, 11:53 AM
Although I couldn't make Sunday, when I can make rideouts I go because of the social side to the whole day as well as the riding. The current system works well and 'official' rideouts should continue in this way in my opinion. Anyone who wants to ride a different route or different pace, shouldn't go and should organise something on their own and if they are 'hooning' not advertise that they are part of WB.

I think the leaders / back markers do an excellent job and I know I can enjoy a ride out with everyone, be safe and (generally speaking!) not get lost!! I sign up to that if I join a WB rideout and am happy with that - some rides are faster than others, some routes are less preferable to others but that is what they have chosen for the day and with the marker system it works out fine. :) I would hate to be part of a club whereby people very quickly forget what's it like to be new to group riding and to build confidence and to hence put off newbies from joining in.

On another note, when do we stop calling 'newbies' newbies??!! :-/ There is obviously the 'core' group of riders who have been with the club a long time but we must ensure we avoid any separations I think - after all, we are just all club members going for a ride together :)

Roxy
16-08-11, 11:54 AM
As a newbie I'm probably not really qualified to post on this but here's my two penneth anyway. My view is if it aint broke don't fix it. It sounds as if the current system has worked well for some time and that Sunday's numbers were a bit of a freak event. If similar numbers are reached on the next couple of ride outs maybe something does need to change, if not, maybe this is a bit of a storm in a teacup? That was my first ride out and from my perspective it was great. I read the rideout 'rules' before I went, and Rosie reiterated the point about looking out for faster riders and letting them pass. It was a good lesson in blindspots for me, after I nearly moved into the path of one of the said fast overtaking bikes - I only did it once and made bloody sure I kept a good check in my mirrors thereafter. Maybe I overcompensated a bit because at times it felt like I was spending more time looking behind me than in front! I really enjoyed being part of a big group. I also valued being behind more experienced riders so I could watch the lines they took and so on. Keeping things as they are but allowing faster riders to form a splinter group having first informed the lead rider sounds like a good compromise to me.

Always good to hear what the newbies think and to see it from your PoV.. so type away! Glad you enjoyed it and see you again soon!

Roxy :)

Hunar
16-08-11, 12:32 PM
OK this will be the third and final attempt at this post, so far the previous two have ended up being 'war and peace specials' lol.

Official ride outs have to cater for all members that attend, so you shouldn't really be turning up with the idea you will be spending the day hooning around the countryside. Fast riders need to adjust their style to take into account that there are less experienced / condfident riders in the group, who in turn need to take into account there are faster riders in the group. When overtaking a slower rider, you should always assume they have not seen you, rather than just hoon past and hope they have.

The official ride outs are once a month, for one day, this leaves plenty of other days free to organise a faster or slower paced ride out if that is what you want to do. We provide the members with a ride out section so they can organise their own rides. :)

I don't post the route for rides I lead for one main reason, this is an open forum, anyone can read it, do you really want someone like our good friend PC Williamson know exactly what time we are leaving and the exact route we are taking? He'd pack a spare ruler in case he wore the first one out checking all the plates are spot on legal? :-?

I work a route out on google maps, then follow it in google earth to make sure the roads look suitable, possible petrol / toilet breaks. I try to aim for at least 60 miles or an hour riding between stops (which ever comes first).

If people want to leave early, it doesn't take much to lift an arm and wave to let others know that you are leaving the group and taking a different turning so that others don't follow you. Stopping 20 mins before the end means that everyone who is going back to the end gets an extra 30 - 60 min delay, with another 30 - 60 mins delay at the end as they say good bye to everyone else that finished, along with a short 20 min ride that you really don't 'get into' before it ends.

Each ride leader will have a different pace, as first and foremost they have to ride within their comfort zone. If a ride is led by someone who rides a slower pace than you like, don't go. If no ride leader rides at a pace you are happy with, then by all means organise a ride out yourself. Although I would strongly advise against putting up a post on an open forum saying that you are organising a 'race pace' ride out, especially if you plan to post the route you intend to take. Personally if I saw that type of thread I would seriously consider removing it, we have a good reputation with the police at the moment, I would like to keep it that way, unless the idea of having an unmarked car waiting around the corner for us to go past appeals to you of course.

Nelly
16-08-11, 12:35 PM

Always good to hear what the newbies think and to see it from your PoV.. so type away! Glad you enjoyed it and see you again soon!

Roxy :)

Ditto that [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Nokesy
16-08-11, 12:36 PM
OK this will be the third and final attempt at this post, so far the previous two have ended up being 'war and peace specials' lol.

Official ride outs have to cater for all members that attend, so you shouldn't really be turning up with the idea you will be spending the day hooning around the countryside. Fast riders need to adjust their style to take into account that there are less experienced / condfident riders in the group, who in turn need to take into account there are faster riders in the group. When overtaking a slower rider, you should always assume they have not seen you, rather than just hoon past and hope they have.

The official ride outs are once a month, for one day, this leaves plenty of other days free to organise a faster or slower paced ride out if that is what you want to do. We provide the members with a ride out section so they can organise their own rides. :)

I don't post the route for rides I lead for one main reason, this is an open forum, anyone can read it, do you really want someone like our good friend PC Williamson know exactly what time we are leaving and the exact route we are taking? He'd pack a spare ruler in case he wore the first one out checking all the plates are spot on legal? :-?

I work a route out on google maps, then follow it in google earth to make sure the roads look suitable, possible petrol / toilet breaks. I try to aim for at least 60 miles or an hour riding between stops (which ever comes first).

If people want to leave early, it doesn't take much to lift an arm and wave to let others know that you are leaving the group and taking a different turning so that others don't follow you. Stopping 20 mins before the end means that everyone who is going back to the end gets an extra 30 - 60 min delay, with another 30 - 60 mins delay at the end as they say good bye to everyone else that finished, along with a short 20 min ride that you really don't 'get into' before it ends.

Each ride leader will have a different pace, as first and foremost they have to ride within their comfort zone. If a ride is led by someone who rides a slower pace than you like, don't go. If no ride leader rides at a pace you are happy with, then by all means organise a ride out yourself. Although I would strongly advise against putting up a post on an open forum saying that you are organising a 'race pace' ride out, especially if you plan to post the route you intend to take. Personally if I saw that type of thread I would seriously consider removing it, we have a good reputation with the police at the moment, I would like to keep it that way, unless the idea of having an unmarked car waiting around the corner for us to go past appeals to you of course.

+1

Roxy
16-08-11, 12:44 PM
well said Mighty Hunar :-* war & peace...no really?? ;)

It takes all sorts to make a good ride out so let's stop fretting and just have a giggle on the day....Pick the ride out that suits you and your ability and enjoy your bike, the company, the tarmac or the scenery...whatever floats your boat dude! ;D ;D

Roxy x

Gerry
16-08-11, 01:38 PM
OK I give in and I’ll let it rest :P

I didn’t realise that 99.9% were completely happy with the way things were already, I’m not sure where I got that impression from ;)

If you are new to this thread, please read my first post carefully, it doesn’t mention race-pace ride-outs, slow riders or anything illegal. It didn’t hint that the club ought to be split into hippies in one camp and nasty speeders in another
It’s supportive (and grateful to) the leaders and back-markers and the way the marker system works.

Peace and love man…

Bad Ged 8-)

Roxy
16-08-11, 01:41 PM
is all this because I left you behind G ???? ;) ::) ;D

promise to wait for ya next time hun! ;)

Roxy x

Dabz
16-08-11, 01:49 PM
basically it's all because Gerry has turned into a complete lunatic since getting a sports bike - I hear he has some new leathers on the way too. Won't be long before he's posting about how we should all wear one-piece leathers and alpinestars boots and be buying shortshifters and steering dampers.

Our once sedate and cuddly Gerry is turning in to G-Daddy (or is that G-Diddy these days?)

Gerry
16-08-11, 01:51 PM
Roxy x

No more sheep marking for you miss >:(

(Although I could be easily swayed by another cup cake or two - or a picture of you in your Marigolds) ;)

G xxxx

Roxy
16-08-11, 01:52 PM
basically it's all because Gerry has turned into a complete lunatic since getting a sports bike - I hear he has some new leathers on the way too. Won't be long before he's posting about how we should all wear one-piece leathers and alpinestars boots and be buying shortshifters and steering dampers.

Our once sedate and cuddly Gerry is turning in to G-Daddy (or is that G-Diddy these days?)

LMAO @ Dabz.....ROCK & ROLL DUDE!!!!!!!!!!! [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif] [smiley=vrolijk_26.gif]

Roxy xx

Roxy
16-08-11, 01:54 PM
Roxy x

No more sheep marking for you miss >:(

(Although I could be easily swayed by another cup cake or two - or a picture of you in your Marigolds) ;)

G xxxx

oh no, I obviously NEED my sheep marker in Wales :(

if I bake you a full tin of Roxy 'Cupcake Queen' cupcakes will you forgive me?? ::) LMAO

Roxy x
(you promised never to mention the marigolds :-[)

Gerry
16-08-11, 02:05 PM

Lol, how can I deny this Dabz, I've seen the light... changing my forum name to Gerry Simoncelli when my new wig arrives ;)
My new (old ebay) leathers have arrived, black, red & to big (on sale on here soon folks) :)

Not sure about the shirtlifters and steering thingies though :-/

Think I need to join the "cute kitten club" to tear me away from this testosterone fuelled madness that I've been led in to.

PS. Hows your 123 BHP - 160 MPH Daytona 675 doing ;)

Save me...

PS... Sorry Cupcake Queen, forgot I promised not to mention your marigolds (although most people only use them for washing up ! - saying that, you can't be to careful) :-/

RedSoul
16-08-11, 02:56 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the ride-out to swanage and do not think it threw up any difficulties at all.
Fanatastic job done by Rosie and Snowy as usual using the tried and tested marker system which worked a treat again as usual.
The pace set was bang on and cant see that anything needs changing for the official ride outs.

Gerry
16-08-11, 03:02 PM
Thoroughly enjoyed the ride-out to swanage and do not think it threw up any difficulties at all.
Fanatastic job done by Rosie and Snowy as usual using the tried and tested marker system which worked a treat again as usual.
The pace set was bang on and cant see that anything needs changing for the official ride outs.

+1

G ;D

Jon_W
16-08-11, 03:06 PM

Lol, how can I deny this Dabz, I've seen the light... changing my forum name to Gerry Simoncelli when my new wig arrives ;)
My new (old ebay) leathers have arrived, black, red & to big (on sale on here soon folks) :)

Not sure about the shirtlifters and steering thingies though :-/

Think I need to join the "cute kitten club" to tear me away from this testosterone fuelled madness that I've been led in to.

Save me...

;D

I think we'll name your bike Christine Gerry...... :D

Gerry
16-08-11, 05:09 PM
Quote: I think we'll name your bike Christine Gerry... ;D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not the best name you could pick I'm afraid.

Basher, who works here, wife is called the same name.

I can just imagine his face when I shouted to him as I was leaving "won't be long mate, just off for a ride on Christine" :D

Think he would be after a wage rise ;)

Dabz
16-08-11, 05:19 PM

You know it didn't even register that I have a sportsbike myself lol! I'll be J-Dawg to your G-Diddy perhaps?

Bonnielass
16-08-11, 05:54 PM
Having spent the last half hour reading this thread I feel I should have my say!

I originally put the post up regarding the trip to Swanage because I fancied a trip to Swanage and wondered if anyone wanted to join me! Dabz had said the Official rideout would be the week before so I thought I would call it the 'unofficial' rideout. Little did I know so many of you would want to come along but very pleased that you did! And little did I know that it would cause this rather lengthy debate.

I enjoy organising rideouts and as many of you know like looking at maps ( ::)) and working out interesting routes. As Roxy said, those of you who come on regular rideouts should by now know the sort of ride I am likely to take you on and the speed I'm likely to do. If this doesn't suit you then organise your own ride, don't try to hijack mine.

It's very difficult for me not to feel a little like I'm being critisized for the type of rideout I organised on Sunday but I take comfort from the very nice feedback that I have got from the majority of people who came on the rideout.

As those of you who have lead a rideout know, it's not an easy job leading a rideout, "am I going too fast/slow?", "is everyone following enjoying their ride?", so many worries, it makes me wonder sometimes why I do it! But when people come up to you after and say what a really nice day they've had it makes it worth while!

I'll just end by saying that I think the rides should stay as they are, most people know the sort of rides we organise and should feel confident in joining in and being able to ride within their comfort zone!

Dabz
16-08-11, 06:04 PM
Personally I like Rosie rides the best :p always interesting roads, great pace and lots of fun. Perhaps that's why they're so well attended?

Bonnielass
16-08-11, 06:04 PM
Thanks Dabz!! :-*

simongpz
16-08-11, 06:37 PM
i thing sundays ride was great second rosie ride ive been on and i can't fault it
i was probably one of the slower riders on sunday was not feeling to well and possibly should have stayed at home
but i enjoyed sundays ride lovely roads and a nice stop at that nice pub somewhere cant remember the name of it
i dont think the rideouts need to be changed

Nokesy
16-08-11, 06:40 PM
Personally I like Rosie rides the best :p always interesting roads, great pace and lots of fun. Perhaps that's why they're so well attended?

Nuff said there I reckon :) and personally, have thoroughly enjoyed all of Rosie's rideouts and long may they continue :)

Last Train
16-08-11, 06:41 PM

Nuff said there I reckon :) and personally, have thoroughly enjoyed all of Rosie's rideouts and long may they continue :)

http://www.smileyvault.com/albums/signs/smiley-vault-signs-016.gif (http://www.smileyvault.com/)

redken1
16-08-11, 07:35 PM
My first ride with WB was with you Rosie and I was hooked after that. [smiley=thumbsup.gif] Just wish I was out a bit more this year.

Caz
16-08-11, 07:51 PM
There were some very good points raised by everyone and I think it was a good idea that Gerry starting this topic. Personally i love the organised ride outs and thanks to the people involved for organising and looking after the group e.g back marking do a fantastic job.

I would just like to say that it did get a bit confusing when we were getting ready to leave Swanage on who was going in what group. Maybe if a few people do want to make their own way back to leave before or after the main group - just a thought.

I love everyone :-* and looking forward to the nest ride out :D

Squashed_Fly
16-08-11, 08:24 PM

Who's nest are we riding to? ;D

Sean.C
16-08-11, 08:47 PM
Sue - DONT WORRY!
Thirty-eight - odd riders will mean many different bike types and many different riders - I was happy enough pootling in the middle somewhere? We have to reach a happy average for everybody, ride at your own pace, nobody is forcing you to pin it everywhere... :)

As already mentioned - if there is a "fast" group that want to ride on ahead sperately, then let them go! Means they get to free up their testosterone problem without granting us some truly unique & downright dangerous overtaking on their way back up to the front after marking... ::) I would rather ride with somebody steady and safe than some Hothead on the edge.
[/quote]

So because someone wants to ride quicker than you that means they have a 'testosterone problem'. Really ? :D

Mark_Able
16-08-11, 08:51 PM
I don't ever make it to any rideouts, unfortunately, but I would just like to warn against the idea of a faster-paced group. Even amongst a more experienced group of riders, there is always someone who is struggling with the pace. Too many times someone will come a cropper when the pace starts getting frisky. I've ridden with very experienced 'expert' riders who have gotten very close to sticking themselves in a hedge in an attempt to keep up. What I've thought was so good about WB rideouts is the fact that all abilities are catered for. A steady pace is much better for all involved, and far safer. I've been at the scene of a serious accident, and it's not something I would want anyone to experience, and I have no desire to be in that situation again. I'd urge anyone thinking of organising a faster rideout, to consider if they want to deal with the consequences of a fellow bikers misfortune. Sorry to sound sensible here, but keep it for the trackdays guys... [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Caz
16-08-11, 09:19 PM

Who's nest are we riding to? ;D

Ooops ;D ;D

Caz
16-08-11, 09:22 PM
Well said Mark [smiley=thumbup.gif]

silly_simon
16-08-11, 10:10 PM
My 2p's worth :o

I very much like the 'official' rideout's with Rosie,Hunar etc and despite the fact I own a near 140bhp motorcycle I don't and probably wont ride it to its full potential ::)

I have been on a few rideouts with lot's of you and have enjoyed all of them, except one which I felt was far to quick for my skill level and comfort zone :o so made my excuses and came home on my own. Thats not a reflection on the other riders BUT it was my own belief in my own abilitys that I could have ended up in trouble if I contiued.

I have been members of other forums in which everyone feels the need to out do each other on a rideout, and if that happens here then I will say cheerio to you all :( :( KEEP it as it is, I have made some lifelong friends here and would like it to continue :)

DC
16-08-11, 11:15 PM
Hi Rosie and All
Ive been out to the H/C a couple of times,only joined the forum a month or so ago so i suppose im a newbie! but im certainly not new to biking and have been indulging for nearly twenty years,You have to feed the rat somehow!!! Sunday was my first rideout with the group and part of what attracted me to the ride was that it was being organised by a woman riding a Triumph Bonneville (Ive been riding one myself for three years or so,the red one with the black boxes and the old number plate) My gut told me it would be civilised,intelligent and respectful,and I was right. The attitude with which the ride was organised and executed is what makes biking truly enjoyable.The route and the pace were spot on.Racing around on main roads wondering when your'e gonna get toasted isnt for me !!! That style of riding at those speeds belongs in a controlled and protected environment THE TRACk !!! Keep Doing what you do Rosie and i look forward to your next rideout.

Cheers A

NoYou
17-08-11, 12:58 AM
I think a lot of people have misunderstood this thread tbh, I don't think there are any "boy racers" on the forum, there's people who ride quickly yes and some people who may ride a bit dangerously at times but for a vast majority of the time even the fastest riders on here only go at a speed that they feel is reasonably safe.
This thread was more about different wants and need from riding, some people enjoy riding at a faster pace, not necissarily over the speed limit just going fast enough to push yourself slightly and have to really focus on what your doing, whereas other people prefer a more sedate ride where they can enjoy not just the road but the places they go through etc.etc. there are infinate different things that people enjoy about bikes which is what makes them so great.
This thread was NOT saying anybody is too slow or the current system is bad or the leaders need to be faster, if people didn't like your leading they wouldn't come to the ride, if they had any common sense at least, it was just a thread about a way to try and stop the numbers on the larger rides from getting to the point where they are unmanageable, Gerry saw a potential problem in the near future and saw a potential solution in having seperate groups depending on what they want from a ride, don't get me wrong I think common sense has won out and its been agreed it wouldn't be a good solution. But this is a forum and the whole reason behind a forum is discussion and debate (and fun ofc). I can still see the rising numbers going to rideouts, especialy the official monthy rides causing a problem in the near future, I've been on several unofficial rides in the last few months with 25+ people showing up and this has been a pretty crappy summer! Instead of having it being purely about why the initial idea is wrong how about some other ideas about how to solve the problem if it does arrise? wouldn't want to get a year down the line and see the local news having headlines about "100 Bikers Cause Havok in Trowbridge!" And have the site harrassed by police because of it!
Not trying to be abraisive here and not saying don't give reasons for disagreeing with the original post just saying it seems like there nothing else being said xD
Geo

Dabz
17-08-11, 07:18 AM
Personally after having done this (wb rides) for over 5 and a half years now inwould say "if it ain't broke dont fix it"

Jon_W
17-08-11, 07:57 AM
Quote: I think we'll name your bike Christine Gerry... ;D
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Not the best name you could pick I'm afraid.

Basher, who works here, wife is called the same name.

I can just imagine his face when I shouted to him as I was leaving "won't be long mate, just off for a ride on Christine" :D

Think he would be after a wage rise ;)

I think you missed the reference to the Horror Film.... :P