PDA

View Full Version : pins and needles

abxv535
17-08-11, 12:55 PM
Hi everyone , need a bit of advise on how to stop or minimize getting pins &needles on my hands while riding never used to get that with my old cruisers ! What am I DOING WRONG ?? Only after 20min riding and can't bearly move my fingers!! Its my first sports bike so still getting used to it... ::) thanks in advance for your advise 8-) .

Nelly
17-08-11, 12:58 PM
Yup, used to get that on my Ninja as well. Could do what i did and got a Z1000 instead! ;D
I used to take a hand off when i could and give it a shake. 8-)

Mutt
17-08-11, 01:26 PM
Might be to do with the riding position on a sports bike, weight forward with pressure on hands and wrists.

Nico_babe
17-08-11, 01:30 PM
I get it alot. If you squeeze with your knees and hold your tank with your knees it frees up the weight on your wrists. That in itself with help with the pins and needles.

Jon_W
17-08-11, 01:36 PM
Don't hold on as tight. Relax your hands arms and shoulders.

Scotty
17-08-11, 01:40 PM
A few points to check:
1). Does the bike have the original bar-end weights or have they been replaced with blingy anodised crap? The original ones may not look as pretty as bling, but they serve a purpose and being heavier they damp out vibration better (the Japanese factories don't just throw this stuff on their bikes, it's all analysed and developed for a reason)
2). Check your riding position and the way you're holding on - as it's your first sports bike it's probably an alien seating position to you, and it's likely to be a bit faster than whatever you had before - are you riding it with the "white knuckle grip of death"? Relax your grip, the reason you hold the bars is to steer the bike, not to support yourself (© California Superbike School, Level 1)
3). As Nico says, grip the tank with your knees and use your abdominal muscles to support your weight, that'll ease the strain on your wrists and your arms are then free to steer rather than support (again, from CSS)

Try it and let us know how you get on... :)

Geordie Stu
17-08-11, 01:42 PM
I had the same with my GSXR now ride a Z750 all gone now.

Squeeze the tank with your knees does help. If this is your 1st time on a sports bike then it may be just your not used to the position. [smiley=thumbup.gif]

NiteW4tcher
17-08-11, 03:39 PM
bar ends i changed my bar ends on my gsxr750 made a notacible difference to my pins n needles

Rabb
17-08-11, 03:51 PM
Don't hold on as tight. Relax your hands arms and shoulders.
+ 1

I had the same problem - spoke to a mate he advised
1. Grip tank with legs
2. Relax shoulders, arms and hands.
Worked for me!
P.S. also changed bar ends for reeeeaaalllly heavy ones - knocked out the vibration a treat.

Nokesy
17-08-11, 04:31 PM
Really heavy bar ends solved the problem for me too (although I don't have a sports bike).

wiltshire builders
17-08-11, 04:36 PM
Do all of the above but I guarentee that you are cutting off the circulation.

Adjust your hand levers down slightly, this will free up your wrists.

Same with your gear lever, get it so that it's easily reachable when your foot is relaxed. You don't want to have to force it under or over exert yourself on the up-change.

I had a set of leathers that were a nightmare for cutting in above the knees. Make sure your kit isn't the cause.

If all else fails, ride faster. The wind blast will take the pressure off of your limbs. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

470four
17-08-11, 04:47 PM
These:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SUZUKI-STAINLESS-STEEL-HEAVY-WEIGHT-BAR-END-WEIGHTS-/110710512310?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item19c6d c5ab6#ht_1040wt_905

- or similar will help cure any hi-frequency vibration due to the fact a heavier object has greater inertia & takes more effort to shake around in a mass-damper styleee... as mentioned alloy barends aren't worth the metal they are made from!

I find these help and have them fitted to both bikes:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTRAX-CRUISE-CONTROL-CRAMP-BUSTER-MOTOR-BIKE-CYCLE-/370502047818?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5643a 4984a#ht_1979wt_1139

Will clip onto your throttle enabling you to hold it on with just palm pressure,easing any wanking-hand carpal-tunnel problems by you holding your grip tight for long periods?

Left hand is fine - you can shake it about at your leisure, letting go of the throttle to shake will of course cause deceleration - but not if you have one of these! You can release your grip to flex your fingers & thumb but still keep the throttle open!
:)

Green Man
17-08-11, 05:30 PM
I had the same problem with mine

Try heavier bar ends
Foam grips

Bingo [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

BladeTriple
17-08-11, 06:04 PM
As above, less weight on your wrists, grip tighter with your knees and thighs. Try not to load the front up as much unless you're opening it up . I never got on with my GSXR1000 because of my long legs and it sitting you IN the bike rather than ON it , I had to get rid because of knee and leg issues (34 inch legs not good on a sports bike)

You could try new bar ends likes been suggested . Silly question, with the difference in the bike, you're not tense are you ? Try relaxing from the neck and shouders downwards, it might do the trick x

redken1
17-08-11, 08:35 PM
I get it all the time on my Fazer. I've tried everything Scotty mention to no avail. In my case I just put it down to old age. :'(

Snowy
17-08-11, 08:46 PM
I get it all the time on my Fazer. I've tried everything Scotty mention to no avail. In my case I just put it down to old age. :'(

Get a big twin Ken, you won't be blaming old age anymore ;D

Everything else plus balance the throttle bodies/carbs, do the valves, fit grip puppies and relax.

Caz
17-08-11, 10:14 PM

Me too Ken ;D The fingers on my right hand go dead, will try out these recommendations but have got the cramp buster which has helped :)

Green Man
17-08-11, 10:26 PM
Ken bar ends and foam grips £15 worth a punt it did it for me [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

redken1
17-08-11, 10:43 PM
Ken bar ends and foam grips £15 worth a punt it did it for me [smiley=thumbsup.gif] [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers Col I might just try that

capgaz
17-08-11, 10:46 PM
i used to get it a lot when firs got my cbr once i got used to it and relaxed it whent away with time but befor then i did grip so hard lol

newnut
17-08-11, 11:24 PM
fill the bars with silicon sealant, an old motocross trick.

abxv535
18-08-11, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the advice, will give it a go and let u all know how I got on... As far as i know the bar ends are original ( nothing fancy, just black ) i do hold on a bit tight and probably need to try relax a bit ... :-[ :) nice to know it's not just me... ::)
cheers everyone 8-)

Loops
18-08-11, 06:57 PM
I still have to consciously remind myself to hold my self up with my trunk muscles and not lean on my hands - you're leant further forward on the sports bikes so it's easy to slump forward.

Sit up every so often, get each hand off the bars to give them a rest, and keep riding till you get used to the new position ;)

abxv535
18-08-11, 07:46 PM
hi again... done what everyone advised and it was much better! still got a little bit... but much better :) , "Loops " will have to keep riding to get used to it (sold my car to buy my bike!) have no choice :-[ what I need now is get used to ride in the wet as well... >:( ... will try to get some bar ends as well to see if makes it better.

thanks again for everyones advice 8-)

470four
18-08-11, 08:02 PM
Gripper pad may help?
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MOTRAX-KNEE-GRIPPER-FILM-TANK-SHEET-BUMPS-20x30cm-/220829254227?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item336a7 30253#ht_1882wt_1139
Got some fitted to my Duke after much joy fitting it to my old CBR4...
Gripped with your knees it will stop you sliding down the seat - weighting your wrists & squashing your loveplums & gigglesack into the tank :D :'(

Make a cardboard template of the knee cutouts in the sides of your tank, then transfer this to the sheet (remember to reverse the template for the other side or you will have two r/h or l/h ones...) :D

Mark_Able
18-08-11, 08:13 PM
If you've got a paddock stand, stick it on that, sit on the bike, hold onto the bars as if you're in your normal riding position, then without moving your body position, let go of the bars. You'll find what muscles you need to use to keep your body in the same position. You will find it is possible to sit on the bike without putting any weight through the bars at all. Knee gripping the tank, heels wedged into the footpegs, etc. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

abxv535
18-08-11, 08:26 PM
If you've got a paddock stand, stick it on that, sit on the bike, hold onto the bars as if you're in your normal riding position, then without moving your body position, let go of the bars. You'll find what muscles you need to use to keep your body in the same position. You will find it is possible to sit on the bike without putting any weight through the bars at all. Knee gripping the tank, heels wedged into the footpegs, etc. [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

better join the gym & build some muscles... lol

been looking on youtube as well for riding tips,riding position, cornering,etc... its like start lerning to ride again!( gona get some L plates) :-[ very different from my custom bikes :)