PDA

View Full Version : Blood Donors

Mutt
10-08-11, 09:44 AM
I`m going to give blood next week for the first time in years and was just wondering how many of you are blood donors?

As we all know bike riding can be at least dangerous and in some case fatal, I`m doing it because I never know when I might be in need!

Not going to preach on, but its worth a thought as they are always looking and it dosen`t take long.

Ducatista
10-08-11, 10:04 AM
I've tried.
But the last 4 or 5 times I've tried to book they've not been able to give me an appointment.

But yeah, great idea.

Mutt
10-08-11, 11:13 AM
If you register at,www.blood.co.uk they will let you know of the dates and times of your nearest donor session.

Ducatista
10-08-11, 11:17 AM
Yep. Done all that.
Keep getting emails back saying they can't give me an appointment.

Jacde
10-08-11, 11:37 AM
I've been a regular donor since I was 18, after my first session found out I had a fairly rare blood type which is specifically given to new borns that are in need of blood. :)

jonnydangerous
10-08-11, 12:08 PM
id love to, but they wont let me give blood, cos i received 6 pints in an op once :-( really gutted that i cant give some back :-(

Mutt
10-08-11, 12:11 PM
Yep. Done all that.
Keep getting emails back saying they can't give me an appointment.
Next Monday they have a session at the Neeld hall, just go down.

Snowy
10-08-11, 12:57 PM
I have been giving blood for the last 30 years although mostly over the last 10. Also have very rare group/type so, although I'm hoping never to need any, if I do, I might just get my own back ;D

I always get a call asking if I'm going to a regular donation coz they like me :)

Scotty
10-08-11, 01:25 PM
Been doing it for years, even got a little bronze badge thingy recently for reaching a certain number of donations.

Something worth considering when riding is what racers have to wear - a dog-tag giving personal information, including blood type. Could be a life-saver one day...

mcicy
10-08-11, 01:51 PM
I have tried to donate a few times but they can never hit a vein so i just sent home

Ducatista
10-08-11, 03:23 PM
Next Monday they have a session at the Neeld hall, just go down.

Thanks.
Right will put it in the diary.
Dont' get back to Chippenham until 18:30 and they shut at 19:15 but I will put it in the diary at least.

Ha Ha.
They are in Bath on 17th where I work, so I jsut put "Blood Bath" in my diary :)

Snowy
10-08-11, 03:33 PM
Been doing it for years, even got a little bronze badge thingy recently for reaching a certain number of donations.

Something worth considering when riding is what racers have to wear - a dog-tag giving personal information, including blood type. Could be a life-saver one day...

The hospital won't give you the blood type thats put on any form of identity that you wear if you come into A&E following an accident- they always test yours first when you get to the hospital. Until then they will pump you with saline to keep your fluid levels up. Thats why at an RTA they put in a saline drip pretty much straight away and minimise blood loss as a priority.

Ducatista
10-08-11, 03:36 PM
Until then they will pump you with saline to keep your fluid levels up.

Don't they also give you O neg (which is why it's so in demand).

Snowy
10-08-11, 03:53 PM
Until then they will pump you with saline to keep your fluid levels up.

Don't they also give you O neg (which is why it's so in demand).

Yes they can if necessary as 0- is the only one compatible with every blood type.

Moo
10-08-11, 04:45 PM
Nice to know that I'm compatible with everbody!!!

Col
10-08-11, 08:12 PM
Given somat over 30 pints until they told me they didn't want it anymore cos of a bite on me arm or p'raps contained too much alcohol 'n nicotine so sadly don't go now :( but maybe ought to try again I s'pose :)

YMFB
12-08-11, 05:34 PM
I used to donate but with all my health issues, including

Type 2 diabetes
Choleseterol
Blood pressure

I doubt very much they will want it, but I will ask

BB
12-08-11, 10:20 PM
Like Snowy I've been going quite a few years, got a badge & a pen so far ;D

BB

CharleyX
12-08-11, 11:13 PM
Like Jaydee would love to but can't, so a big THANKS to you all ;) ;)

Geordie Stu
13-08-11, 10:00 AM
Been giving Blood for years got my Bronze award. 10 pints.
That's more than an arm full ;D

http://youtu.be/eAtKjuiMpRk

Notice a young June Whitfield as the Nurse in reception

bubblylittleme
13-08-11, 10:17 PM
I have been giving since age 18yrs.
Got my silver award about 6 yrs ago so not sure how many I have given now.

Being a nurse you see how much is used within hospital environment so wouldn't stop till they tell me I have to.

Just remember to eat and drink something before you go.. collapsed once when I didn't.
and don't light up a fag as you walk out...son collapsed in doorway on way out doing this! lol

CurlyBiker
13-08-11, 11:04 PM
Yes, I've been giving for years and have a silver badge. Make you drink plenty of water before you go.

Bikermouse
15-08-11, 05:04 PM
I'd love to but, because I lived in Africa for the majority of my life, they will take my blood (oh and because I've married a South African, high risk of HIV). Stupid really, as if I had HIV it should have shown up in the last 11 years!!!

Cemorah
17-08-11, 08:59 PM
Just given my 25th pint of O+ so must have been doing it for 8-9 years

Toph
17-08-11, 09:12 PM
I'm O+, I've been donating on and off for 30 odd years, I'm now on 46 donations, it only takes half an hour, 3 times a year, if you are thinking of donating, do it, the national blood service do a magnificent job.

SupeRDel
22-08-11, 06:29 AM
Used to give blood and got the award then one day a letter arrived saying...

"Sorry we can NO longer accept your blood"

There was NO explanation as to why?

Ducatista
22-08-11, 07:26 AM
Sorry we can NO longer accept your blood

It could have ben some rule/policy change.
For example people that have had a transfusions with the last X years cannot give blood.
I think this is related to CJD and theorectical risk of being infected.

It might not be that, might be something else, but probably some rule change that excluded you.
Would have been nice to let you know though.

jonnydangerous
22-08-11, 03:11 PM
Like Jaydee would love to but can't, so a big THANKS to you all ;) ;)

seconded! yup BIIIIIIIG thanks to you all (especially the 6 (or more) people that donated for my op :-)
and the others that donated for the 5 ops previous to that one...

youre all stars :-)
big hug (in a manly way, if youre male!)... ;-)

Trev
22-08-11, 04:40 PM
Yup, been donating for years but over last few sessions have started to get nervous about the needle - wot a pussy!

Now each session a bit of a chore but at least I have a better understanding and appreciation of all those who donate despite a real fear of needles :-X

Jacde
22-08-11, 05:01 PM
I don't like needles either Trev but knowing my blood is so useful to paediatric care I put up with them, never understood them wanting to give the local anaesthetic before the big donation needle so always refused it.
Was once asked if I mainlined when having blood taken for a test, didn't know what that meant and was told they thought I was a drug user because of the scars on my arms :o :o soon told them that I was a blood donor! 8-)
Won't be able to give for a while now ad having all sorts of jabs in preparation for trip to Kenya. :-*

Gerry
22-08-11, 05:35 PM
Sue (my ex) and I used to go together, it took them simply ages to find her vein and extract the amount they needed, usually by the time they had got her needle in the right place (sometimes hanging half off the bed) I was done.

In fact I was once called a "fast bleeder" by the nurse and I wasn't even chatting her up ;D

I always had a feeling of superiority when she was still laid out and I had finished my tea and biscuit - not that I'm competitive or anything ;)

G

Snowy
22-08-11, 07:25 PM
There's a session at Marlborough Leisure Centre this Friday 26th August if anyone wants to give it a go. :)